UFC's deal to Ben Askren?

ZafroTexas

Sideburns Sodamizer
@Green
Reaction score
Ben Askren on JRE said his UFC contract ( before they took it off the table) said he had to fight one fight in WSOF before be could get in the UFC.

Why though?

I have theories but would like to hear what y'all think.

Ben Askren on JRE said his UFC contract ( before they took it off the table) said he had to fight one fight in WSOF before be could get in the UFC.

Why though?
6JFvU6z0.png

That's why.

Dana really wanted to see Jon Fitch vs Ben Askren. Huge fan of both their styles.

If you have theories, why not share?

He wanted to drop the stock of WSOF so they could buy it on the cheap.

Obviously it would have served as an audition for him to have an exciting performance. Possibly also to avoid having to reference Bellator when hyping him as an undefeated champion.

I think the UFC wanted him to become champion in WSOF to try to build a big fight with him. But at the time I believe Robbie was champion and they knew Askren would blanket him

In that case i think Dana is talking the truth, Askren choose the easy competition at ONE over real tests at WSOF.

Wasn't the name of the amateur organization you fought in the first UFC undisputed called WSOF

It was so when Askren came over and won the belt there would be a buffer between Bellator and him winning it. Would make it easier to dismiss Bjorn bragging about having the top 170lber.

The way it all went down though it seems like it was all a practical joke for the UFC to get revenge on Ben for insulting their way of doing business and drug testing (pre USADA).

In that case i think Dana is talking the truth, Askren choose the easy competition at ONE over real tests at WSOF.

Dana talking the truth? Where? Askren was on the show. Not Dana

Dana ducked Askren. They pulled the WSOF 1 fight audition deal before he could even accept it.

The fact a compulsive liar in Dana can't even give a legit reason for not signing him besides "boring" or "not my guy" is all the proof you need that Askren is telling the truth. If Askren turned them down or asked for too much money Dana would be singing it from the mountains so he wouldn't look as bad for not signing him over a bruised ego.

Dana flat out didn't want Askren in the UFC

Can you imagine the load he shot when it was time to cut Fitch

He wanted no-one even resembling Askren in the UFC

Dana White got Askren to drop his match clause (and indirectly insult Bellator in the process) saying they would sign him after. Then the very next day after Askren gets his release Dana has the scrum in the video above.

"Doesn't change a thing, not interested at all" he says about Askren.

If you still think Askren ducked the UFC you are clueless.

dana thought he was boring- instead he has the exciting woodley instead. winning!

It was so when Askren came over and won the belt there would be a buffer between Bellator and him winning it. Would make it easier to dismiss Bjorn bragging about having the top 170lber.

The way it all went down though it seems like it was all a practical joke for the UFC to get revenge on Ben for insulting their way of doing business and drug testing (pre USADA).

Nah, had nothing at all to do with that. They had no problem signing Eddie Alverez and Hector Lombard direct from Bellator.

The real reason is that Askren is a boring fight but he would beat everyone in the UFC and be champ. Dana didn't want another uncharasmatic white american wrestler to lay on all his exciting stars.

Reebok gear.

and lots of it.

Why though?

I have theories but would like to hear what y'all think.
Wasn't the name of the amateur organization you fought in the first UFC undisputed called WSOF
Holy God in Heaven your grammar sucks. My brain is short-circuiting trying to turn your hodgepodge meanderings into a readable sentence. Please try harder

Dana flat out didn't want Askren in the UFC

Can you imagine the load he shot when it was time to cut Fitch

He wanted no-one even resembling Askren in the UFC
He was probably wanted Fitch to beat Askren. We have gave him a reason to tell Askren to fuck off.

Dana talking the truth? Where? Askren was on the show. Not Dana

Dana ducked Askren. They pulled the WSOF 1 fight audition deal before he could even accept it.

The fact a compulsive liar in Dana can't even give a legit reason for not signing him besides "boring" or "not my guy" is all the proof you need that Askren is telling the truth. If Askren turned them down or asked for too much money Dana would be singing it from the mountains so he wouldn't look as bad for not signing him over a bruised ego.
Dana had a interview many years back then saying that Askren refused to go to WSOF just because Dana asked him to. I know he wasn't on the podcaast lol wtf

I don't think that's enough of a proof, Askren seems like a prick aswell, they're 2 guys full of shit, but i'd side with Dana in that one, the guy choose to go to fucking ONE FC, come on..

He was probably wanted Fitch to beat Askren. We have gave him a reason to tell Askren to fuck off.
yes, maybe, but that's why Askren should have accepted it, fought Fitch and beat him if he was that good

Back