Does Grappling Work in a Fight?

Obitronix

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Edit: The purpose of this post was to make people aware of this youtuber. I thought you guys might get a kick out of his channel. I know grappling works. Original Post: Too many casuals and newbs underestimate the power of grappling. I like striking as much as the next guy, but this aspect of fighting is so crucial. If you're not familiar with ThePinkMan on Youtube, go check his videos out. He's got a series of videos on martial arts frauds that have popped up over the years. Great stuff! So here's his video on grappling:
Bonus (here's one on fake martial arts):

Last edited:
Of course it works...

Grappling is the most effective form of fighting in a 1vs1 fight.

You are showing Royce Gracie the guy who beat everybody who did not know what BJJ was but the first guy he fought that was well rounded and that being Matt Hughes he got a swollen on that melon

It works.

Only time it doesn't work is when he's got 5 of his friends with him ready to stomp your face in as soon as you hit the ground.

You are showing Royce Gracie the guy who beat everybody who did not know what BJJ was but the first guy he fought that was well rounded and that being Matt Hughes he got a swollen on that melon
Holy shit that was difficult to read.

Does writing left handed work on paper? The fuck?

Silly question. Anything can work in a fight. You build a better mousetrap with your execution of it.

Too many casuals and newbs underestimate the power of grappling. I like striking as much as the next guy, but this aspect of fighting is so crucial. If you're not familiar with ThePinkMan on Youtube, go check his videos out. He's got a series of videos on martial arts frauds that have popped up over the years. Great stuff! So here's his video on grappling:
Bonus (here's one on fake martial arts):

Jacare Souza, perfect example. Wanna trade? Lets go. Wanna clinch? Lets Go. TD opportunity, take it

Ground fun, well it's fun to Souza

Grappling works, Pinkman is annoying af

Does writing left handed work on paper? The fuck?
The purpose of this post, more or less, was to make people aware of this Youtuber. I thought others might enjoy the channel. Relax dude.

It works on trained fighters, why the hell wouldn’t it work on regular joes, of course it does....

Ken Shamrock was the first well-rounded guy Royce fought. And Royce submitted him in 57 seconds.

I do security & have used the basic holds like standing rear naked chokes & hammerlocks etc to help deal with situations. Obviously the best way is calm it down before it escalates but that's not always an option.

Obviously grappling works in an MMA bout or dojo,I do know however in a real situation I ain't pulling guard or rolling around on the floor whilst his mates line up a soccer kick to my head.

Really its about what you are comfortable doing & its far better to have the training & ability to fall back on it then not have it, but I fear that similarly to the traditional martial arts which were mocked as being ineffective in a real situation when MMA first started a lot of fans have forgotten there is a world of difference between an MMA fight with set rules & a street fight. There are a lot of street fights on Youtube so go & see how often they stay 1-on-1, sadly its very rarely.

Ken Shamrock was the first well-rounded guy Royce fought. And Royce submitted him in 57 seconds.

Even Ken has admitted he wasn't close to being well-rounded in UFC 1. Yeah he'd "fought" in Pancrase so was in great shape & knew some submissions but knew nothing about BJJ or even the advantages of using a Gi.

There was a thread a few days back about boxers vs MMA guys in street fights and apparently all you need to do to avoid a takedown in a street fight is to eye gouge them.

for whatever reason i got into a lot of fights in HS. My offense was basically wrestling then some GnP, and it worked very well. In those days the karate and gung fufu guys didnt have a clue but thought they were badass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back