Why haven't they banned weight cutting yet?

FlyingDeathKick

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
One Championship has so why not the UFC?? Imo it's because without weight cutting there won't be as many people shifting weight classes and less champion vs champion opportunities. I mean you have popular fighters switching weight classes all the time and I think they like that. It creates new contenders in stagnant divisions and allows fighters to get a fresh start in a new division. For example Machida's move down to MW, Edgar's move to FW, Rumbles move to 185 then 205, Cerrone's move to 170 etc.. It shakes things up sometimes and creates interest, they couldn't care less about how dangerous it is for the fighters as long as they're making money.

what makes you think there would be less people changing weight classes?

One Championship has so why not the UFC?? Imo it's because without weight cutting there won't be as many people shifting weight classes and less champion vs champion opportunities. I mean you have popular fighters switching weight classes all the time and I think they like that. It creates new contenders in stagnant divisions and allows fighters to get a fresh start in a new division. For example Machida's move down to MW, Edgar's move to FW, Rumbles move to 185 then 205, Cerrone's move to 170 etc.. It shakes things up sometimes and creates interest, they couldn't care less about how dangerous it is for the fighters as long as they're making money.
Because nobody has died cutting weight in the UFC yet.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/12...ships-yang-jian-bing-dies-from-weight-cutting

Knock it off Joanna. You lost.

They're waiting for another weight cutting milestone first
image.gif

Weight cutting is here to stay. If they want people to cut less, they need to do it the smart way with hydration tests.

Those who fail to make weight should have a one point deduction in addition to the 20% of their purse.

For example Machida's move down to MW, Edgar's move to FW, Rumbles move to 185 then 205, Cerrone's move to 170 etc.. It shakes things up sometimes and creates interest, they couldn't care less about how dangerous it is for the fighters as long as they're making money.

None of those moves were about creating interest. Those fighters were trying to resurrect their careers by moving out of divisions they didn't have a title shot in or in Rumbles case couldn't make weight in.

Morbid and tasteless topic, but which current UFC is most likely to die from weight cutting in your opinion? Uriah Hall was getting seizures apparently from cutting. Joanna cuts a ton, as do Rockhold and DC (who is old and has had kidney problems in the past).
Likely someone from a shithole country.

None of those moves were about creating interest. Those fighters were trying to resurrect their careers by moving out of divisions they didn't have a title shot in or in Rumbles case couldn't make weight in.
I'm not saying the fighters moved to create interest but it does infact create interest when they do. They try to fast track some of these guys to a TS when they change weight classes as well, Pettis for example. Also Edgar, they gave Edgar an immediate shot at Aldo. The point is it'd be much harder for fighters to compete in several weight classes if they ban weight cutting. I mean unless they make way more weight classes they would likely never have a 3 weight world champ.

TS do you live in a magical world were people do not gain/lose weight regularly?

Is it called Hypotethical World?

Morbid and tasteless topic, but which current UFC is most likely to die from weight cutting in your opinion? Uriah Hall was getting seizures apparently from cutting. Joanna cuts a ton, as do Rockhold and DC (who is old and has had kidney problems in the past).
Khabib, Gastelum, Joanna, DC etc... Khabib and Gastelum have both been hospitalized from cutting too much weight and DC looks terrible at the weigh ins, he could barely stand when he cheated to make weight for the second rumble fight. Then Joanna... she's skinny as hell to begin with, then she cuts a significant amount of water weight.

TS do you live in a magical world were people do not gain/lose weight regularly?

Is it called Hypotethical World?
What? I live in a world where One Championship exists and has effectively banned weight cutting, not sure what you're on about though. It's not like fighters have to make weight right on the dot, you just have to weigh between your own weight class and the one below it.

A better way would be to up each weight class by 5lbs. This gives a bit more breathing space for the fighters. eg 155lb becomes 160lb etc etc.... It is bad enough that 2 guys are going in to bash crap out of one another after having to do excessive weight cuts.

A better way would be to up each weight class by 5lbs. This gives a bit more breathing space for the fighters. eg 155lb becomes 160lb etc etc.... It is bad enough that 2 guys are going in to bash crap out of one another after having to do excessive weight cuts.

Then smaller 170ers would move down cutting more weight. And so on with the rest of the weight classes. That could cause more cutting.

Back