To those who don't think Stipe is all-time MMA open-weight GOAT

codfather

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
What does he have to do to convince you?

Pound for pound is a bullshit metric. It's ifs, buts and maybes.

Ultimately, which human being, at their peak would beat Stipe in an MMA fight with no weight classes?

Ultimately, which human being, at their peak would beat Stipe in an MMA fight with no weight classes?

You mean aside from Dos Santos and Stefan?

Cain Velasquez.

If only Semmy Schilt had TDD.

If only Semmy Schilt had TDD.
Amazing takedowns
12+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Semmy+Schilt_xvid.gif
12+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Semmy+Schilt_xvid_004.gif

Case in point lol. Fedor wanted no part of Semmy on the feet and just shot on and took him down easily. Probably wouldn't have been as easy against the 300lb version of Semmy which was around during the latter half of his kickboxing career, but the TDD just wasn't there and any he was going to struggle against any world-class well rounded fighter like Fedor.

Honestly I think Stipe needs to go back in time and fight guys who were in their peak, and not knock off the old guard as he was doing before the N'Gannou fight

I have nothing against Stipe, I think he is clearly the best HW in the world right now, and I hope the UFC ups it's HW roster and that Stipe continues to take out younger, primer guys in the same fashion.

Who would beat Stipe? There is no reason to think that the likes of a prime Fedor/Barnett/Couture/Big Nog/Cro Cop would stand no chance against Stipe. That's is an insane assumption to make. I also think pre LHW Cormier could do the job

Prime Struve beats Prime Stipe? Really? Come on, dude. Dos Santos and Velasquez are arguable at least.

You're right, I misread it, hence the Struve remark.

Prime Dos Santos and prime Cain beat him, though.

You probably should have shown him doing that against someone with actual grappling credentials.

Prime Struve beats Prime Stipe? Really? Come on, dude. Dos Santos and Velasquez are arguable at least.

Should I downplay Stipe´s win over Ngannou since he has no grappling credentials too?

You're right, I misread it, hence the Struve remark.

Prime Dos Santos and prime Cain beat him, though.

JDS is a tough one to argue against. He would be more dangerous to Stipe than Ngannou was standing due to speed and precision. And then his takedown defense would nullify Stipe's wrestling. But I do think Stipe's straight punches could be a foil to the hooks and uppercuts that JDS liked to throw.

With Cain, I can see it going either way honestly. Of course, Cain could wear Stipe down. But I think before he gasses, Stipe is the much more technical striker and wrestler - he could catch Cain or just pick him apart like Werdum did.

I doubt we'll ever see either of these fights though.

He is the CURRENT open weight champ but not all time no way.

Prime Cro Cop, Prime Fedor, Prime Big Nog, maybe even HW Wanderlei beat him

FFS, look Stipe is the champion & doing well but he has already suffered losses & his current run is beating guys past their best or untested but overhyped prospects. That doesn't make him a bad fighter, but it also doesn't make him the GOAT.

There are a lot of guys who would have beaten him comfortably.

Not the answer you were looking for, huh? You were expecting me to argue with you. Unfortunately, I thought both Stipe and Ngannou looked terrible in that fight, and I'm a Stipe fan. It was embarrassing to see them both gas in the first quarter of the fight, and never recover.

About the gif, be honest with yourself. As soon as Fedor came into contact with him, he seemed like he was instinctively looking for the ref to separate them like they would in kick boxing or boxing. He looked lost. At least Ngannou is a career MMA fighter.

He’d have to - and actually might - fight DC for me to be convinced.

Back