Breakdown Of Conor's Takedown Defense

Towerworld

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

Very good explanation of Conor's takedown defense strategy and why it was effective against Alvarez and Mendes. It makes alot of sense why Eddie(technical wrestler and striker himself) was dominated so badly, he relies on feints to keep his opponent guessing to set up either his overhands or takedowns; when Conor wouldn't fall for anything and saw Eddie's moves coming he was a deadman walking.

Do you guys think his defense will be enough to stop Khabib's takedowns or atleast leave him open to being intercepted by a huge left hand?

I personally think that Khabib is going to have a very tough time taking conor down and conor will have a field day countering Khabib's sloppy winging hay makers. Khabib's a tough dude though so he isn't going down in the first round, he'll come back in the second on a suicide mission and shoot from across the entire cage; running straight into conor's left and have his neck broken from his forward momentum crashing into an immovable object.

"I personally think that Khabib is going to have a very tough time taking conor down"

giphy.webp

Remember kids don't do drugs...

Nobody takes Conor down, Conor refuses to sign fight contract.

Do you remember Chad Mendes? there you go.

If Khabib can pressure McG to the point he can't counter or set distance (two of his main strategies) he is done.

I personally will give a shit about the fight if/when Conor signs the contract.

Till then, I'd rather spend my time thinking about fighters that fight.

"I personally think that Khabib is going to have a very tough time taking conor down"

giphy.webp

Khabib isn't a takedown artist like GSP or even Mendes, he relies on his strikes to close the distance and always needs like 5+ attempts to actually get his opponent down.

The problem is that Conor won't fall for his feints and counter him with ease, when Khabib is concussed he's not taking down shit.

If Khabib can pressure McG to the point he can't counter or set distance (two of his main strategies) he is done.
Do you mean the Mendes with faster more explosive takedowns than Khabib could ever hope to have but was still destroyed by conor?

Its because Khabib can't do that, his striking is garbage and he doesn't have Diaz's chin.

giphy.webp

BJJ Scout is one of the best analysts in the game, his grappling knowledge is even noticed by grappling greats like Eddie Bravo.

A completely different style of wrestler. Much more explosive and faster with his level changes.

Do you mean the Mendes with faster more explosive takedowns than Khabib could ever hope to have but was still destroyed by conor?

Its because Khabib can't do that, his striking is garbage and he doesn't have Diaz's chin.

Mendes took McG down several times but he got gassed. Khabib doesn't have to be explosive to take guys to the ground. and even so, he won't gas like late replacement Mendes.

I personally will give a shit about the fight if/when Conor signs the contract.

Till then, I'd rather spend my time thinking about fighters that fight.

Yeah the Khabib that has fought 4 times in the last 4 years?

Both Tony and Khabib can take Conor down, however Conor will likely never fight Tony or Khabib.

Watch how easily he stops a shot from by far the worst wrestler in the LW top 15

BlankWarmCaecilian.gif

Mendes took McG down several times but he got gassed. Khabib doesn't have to be explosive to take guys to the ground. and even so, he won't gas like late replacement Mendes.
But Khabib he needs to clinch and use underhooks for pretty much all of his takedowns, he's very similar to a female rousey just stronger more aggressive with his striking.

The problem is that his takedowns aren't anything like Mendes and aren't anywhere near as effective shot for shot.
He requires his opponents to be fearful of his striking or overextend themselves for him to get the clinch, neither of those things are going to happen to conor.

Khabib isn't a takedown artist like GSP or even Mendes, he relies on his strikes to close the distance and always needs like 5+ attempts to actually get his opponent down.

The problem is that Conor won't fall for his feints and counter him with ease, when Khabib is concussed he's not taking down shit.
Takedown artist Nathan Diaz at work.
BlankWarmCaecilian.gif

Probably one of two successful TD’s over his whole career

Well neither Eddie nor Mendes are chain wrestlers are particular skilled in the clinch. The comparison is pretty silly.

That is not true at all. Khabib typically lands TDs on his second or third attempt (in one chain). He is an incredibly skilled TD artist especially in the clinch (where he does not need under hook, just a body lock). There are quite a few examples of him not setting up TDs with striker. Most of his striking comes when people retreat towards the cage.

Obviously you don't care and will claim Conor will effortlessly stop the TD regardless of any facts. I thought I'd correct you anyway.

If Conor has good TDD then Khabib has good striking

Very good explanation of Conor's takedown defense strategy and why it was effective against Alvarez and Mendes. It makes alot of sense why Eddie(technical wrestler and striker himself) was dominated so badly, he relies on feints to keep his opponent guessing to set up either his overhands or takedowns; when Conor wouldn't fall for anything and saw Eddie's moves coming he was a deadman walking.

Do you guys think his defense will be enough to stop Khabib's takedowns or atleast leave him open to being intercepted by a huge left hand?

I personally think that Khabib is going to have a very tough time taking conor down and conor will have a field day countering Khabib's sloppy winging hay makers. Khabib's a tough dude though so he isn't going down in the first round, he'll come back in the second on a suicide mission and shoot from across the entire cage; running straight into conor's left and have his neck broken from his forward momentum crashing into an immovable object.

took chad mendes less than 5 seconds to take that chump down

nate fucking diaz took him down

Comparing Chad or Eddie to Khabib is not smart.

They all have completely different styles of grappling....I also surly wouldn't suggest Conor had "success" in keeping Mendes from taking him down. Every high level wrestler gets a few of his TD's defended in a fight. It's very rare someone has a 100% TD rate in any fight. If anything, that fight surly pointed to the fact Conor is going to have very significant problems with good wrestlers....

It should be quite clear to any objective person who has actually paid attention to both Conor and Khabib while they were fighting that Conor is going to have an extremely difficult time keeping Khabib from taking him down.

Back