Let's talk about Stipes head movement against Ngannou

1stRoundMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am not seeing too many people talk about this post fight. It is the reason he not only survived against Ngannou but beat him in rd 1 unlike Arlovski, Reem and Bojan. For those of you that don't know Stipe took 1-2 years off early in his MMA career to focus just on boxing, before he came back to MMA full time. He credits this time off from MMA as to why his striking is evolved to the point it is. Not only did it improve his striking offense, but his defense as well which I feel was on full display against Ngannou. I am sure that some people are going to reply to this with him getting KO'd by Struve, or him being tagged by (enter name here) but everyone gets hit at the end of the day. The advantage he has because of this experience is obvious though when it comes to slipping strikes and countering as well as rolling with punches.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

^GOAT stipe gif right here, Anderson SIlvaesqe in his head movement Joe^

giphy.gif

^ beautfiul slip to straight jab ^

giphy.gif

^ rolled with a nice hook from Ngannou into a sick level change ^

Shoutout to @Sansnom for the gifs (si t'es un francophone, merci big) I found these in his thread he made http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/stipe-vs-ngannou-recap-gifs-inside.3697309/

Anyways, I attribute Stipes early success to his head movement if I am being honest. Ngannou has him against the cage and within range a few times and he mostly whiffed telegraphed punches in the first round. Not only is it hard on the cardio but it is very very hard on the confidence, nothing worse than hitting air infact. In rd 1 Stipe outstruck Ngannou with 24 of 33 strikes while Ngannou only landed 18 of 65 total strikes. Those are fantastic numbers to back up how far ahead Stipe is in not only wreslting and grappling, but striking as well when compared to Ngannou.

Anyways I could ramble on forever, thanks for listening.

Cliffs - Amazing head movement by Stipe against Ngannou, very impressed.

He’s getting smarter with age

its easy to move your head when the opponent telegraphs monster single punches with no threat of a combo.

One thing we've learnt about Stipe that night, that all all-time-great fighters do, is that he adapted.

He's never shown that level of head movement in his game before, he was never that type of double leg and run it guy, but he needed to be against Ngannou and pulled of the win.

#UFCHWGOAT.

Looks good in break down post.

Me thinks it was half frantic fear reactions

I am not seeing too many people talk about this post fight. It is the reason he not only survived against Ngannou but beat him in rd 1 unlike Arlovski, Reem and Bojan. For those of you that don't know Stipe took 1-2 years off early in his MMA career to focus just on boxing, before he came back to MMA full time. He credits this time off from MMA as to why his striking is evolved to the point it is. Not only did it improve his striking offense, but his defense as well which I feel was on full display against Ngannou. I am sure that some people are going to reply to this with him getting KO'd by Struve, or him being tagged by (enter name here) but everyone gets hit at the end of the day. The advantage he has because of this experience is obvious though when it comes to slipping strikes and countering as well as rolling with punches.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

^GOAT stipe gif right here, Anderson SIlvaesqe in his head movement Joe^

giphy.gif

^ beautfiul slip to straight jab ^

giphy.gif

^ rolled with a nice hook from Ngannou into a sick level change ^

Shoutout to @Sansnom for the gifs (si t'es un francophone, merci big) I found these in his thread he made http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/stipe-vs-ngannou-recap-gifs-inside.3697309/

Anyways, I attribute Stipes early success to his head movement if I am being honest. Ngannou has him against the cage and within range a few times and he mostly whiffed telegraphed punches in the first round. Not only is it hard on the cardio but it is very very hard on the confidence, nothing worse than hitting air infact. In rd 1 Stipe outstruck Ngannou with 24 of 33 strikes while Ngannou only landed 18 of 65 total strikes. Those are fantastic numbers to back up how far ahead Stipe is in not only wreslting and grappling, but striking as well when compared to Ngannou.

Anyways I could ramble on forever, thanks for listening.

Cliffs - Amazing head movement by Stipe against Ngannou, very impressed.
Very easy to look like you have "great" head movement when you're scared shitless. Its the ones who move forward and arent hesitant that display it, that makes me think they are great at it. Stipe in the opening minute was fucking petrified. Call it however you want. He didnt want to be hit. And btw Andersons head movement lead to counters that fucked people up, Stipe simply ran outta there(early on).

Very easy to look like you have "great" head movement when you're scared shitless. Its the ones who move forward and arent hesitant that display it, that makes me think they are great at it. Stipe in the opening minute was fucking petrified. Call it however you want. He didnt want to be hit. And btw Andersons head movement lead to counters that fucked people up, Stipe simply ran outta there(early on).

Hey man, although I appreciate you replying to this thread, the proof is in the pudding and it isn't a debate, and Stipe outstruck Ngannou standing so your opinion doesn't hold any water. No one wants to go toe to toe with someone like Ngannou and turn a fight into the battle of chins. I know that you would have personally stood toe to toe with Ngannou with no regards to getting hit but Stipe just isn't as elite as you, so take it easy on him.

One of the dumbest comments Ive read in a while.

Of course he was scared shitless, Ngannou hits like a sledgehammer, so his backwards movement and head movement needed to be on point.

He tired Ngannou out by making him chase, and that allowed him to wrestle more effectively and used his head movement and footwork to get out of Ngannou's range. He adapted, but I guess you'd stand and bang with Ngannou, ey?

Being scared doesn't teach you head movement, but whatever makes you feel better about the Stipe win.

I like em both, preferred to see a KO. From either side.
But Stipe was scared shitless and almost running at times. Wide eyed and on move. Can't blame him, got the win and kept his head.

stupid.gif

One of the dumbest comments Ive read in a while.

Of course he was scared shitless, Ngannou hits like a sledgehammer, so his backwards movement and head movement needed to be on point.

He tired Ngannou out by making him chase, and that allowed him to wrestle more effectively and used his head movement and footwork to get out of Ngannou's range. He adapted, but I guess you'd stand and bang with Ngannou big ey?

I wouldn't waste to much of your time here man. It's all good, some people with no combat experience tend to live in a fantasy world as a fan. Stipe executed one of the best gameplans I have seen in a while against a very dangerous 2 round opponent like Ngannou. I am just happy that there are a large group of people who understand what they saw from Stipe saturday night, nothing short of greatness imo.

Very easy to look like you have "great" head movement when you're scared shitless. Its the ones who move forward and arent hesitant that display it, that makes me think they are great at it.

If it's "very easy", then why didn't Overeem exhibit good head movement when he fought Francis?

Nobody said Stipe's head movement is on par with Anderson's, but it's pretty good for a heavyweight.

Back