Were Ngannou and Oezdemir not ready for their title shots?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Not to take away from Stipe or DC but both Ngannou and Oezdemir got dismantled in dramatic fashion. It wasn't even a challenge. Like DC said, there are levels to this fight game. I'm wondering if Ngannou and Oezdemir were given title shots because the divisions are shallow and there isn't any great talent that the champion hasn't already beaten or just wasn't there. Ronda could have kept padding her record with soccer moms until Holly Holm showed up. Ronda could have had the most title defenses ever with many of her opponents who shouldn't have been anywhere near a title fight but because the division was shallow got them.

I think Ngannou might get another title shot because the HW division is so shallow even though he's older. You only need 2 consecutive wins for a title shot in the HW division and Oezdemir might also get one as he's young and the LHW division is thin.

I do think that both Ngannou and Oezdemir were a step below both Stipe and DC and with some more experience and better camps could come back and challenge for the belt again.

Volkan beat the #6, #5, and #4 ranked LHWs in a year. He deserved his shot.

Between Stipe beating Werdum, Reem and JDS already and people thinking Ngannou could just blow on people and KO them it made sense to give him a shot.

the turkish mir was obviously not ready. I would say Ngannous was not too bad because the HW division does not have too many new talents

There was nothing wrong with either getting the shot. Stipe cleared everyone else out and Ngannou just came off a Mortal Kombat KO of Reem. 205 is pathetic and Volkan was easily the most interesting and deserving option based on his recent wins over Manuwa, Cirkunov, and OSP.

You could make the argument that they weren't ready because they both lost.

You could also make the argument that they were ready, because they weren't injured, they made weight, and they both fought.

It's all a matter of perspective and your individual definition of the term "being ready".

And yes, I'm a horrendously boring person and nobody likes me.

Volkan beat 2 male model LHWs and the fanboys went crazy.

Jones, Gus, DC, Glover, Tito aren't exactly male models.

Gus has made solid points. Skills are very important when becoming a champion but the ability to keep a fast pace for 5 straight rounds is the deciding factor.

Then Gus comes out with a 5th round finish after dominating a fast paced beating.

If Francis and Volkan had championship level cardio, we might have seen different outcomes but it's the later rounds that separates the contenders from the champions.

The UFC fabricates "world class" contenders on regular basis, and people always drink the kool-aid.

probably a bit early, sure. but momentum was on their side, someone needed to fight for the strap, and both were logical decisions at the time.

and i'm not saying this in hindsite; even last week i would have looked more forward to Gus & Werdum. but plenty of fans last week preferred one or both of the guys that actually fought (though few would admit it today)

They were, they are just not good enough. Nor Will they ever be.

Not ready or simply not gifted enough, I go with not gifted enough.

You could make the argument that they weren't ready because they both lost.

You could also make the argument that they were ready, because they weren't injured, they made weight, and they both fought.

It's all a matter of perspective and your individual definition of the term "being ready".

And yes, I'm a horrendously boring person and nobody likes me.

I know you threw that "I'm pedantic but at least I admit it" last line in there to justify your post, but were you really unclear about what TS was asking? Was there really a part of your mind that said, "Gee, he's asking if these two guys made weight"?

They were both riding some big name highlight reel wins, but were too new to the sport. No matter how physically gifted you are, you can't learn to grapple at this level with 4 years of training. Especially with elite level wrestlers as your opposition.

Not ready or simply not gifted enough, I go with not gifted enough.
Nothing to do with gifted, as a matter of fact you could easily argue they are both exceptionally gifted, considering their wins and how they pulled them off. They were just too new. They went against guys who've spent their entire lives on the mat, and "gifted" isn't enough.

just shows how good the top guys are. oezdemir looked great against the "average" top 10 guys but looked completely lost against cormier. pretty much the same went with ngannou.

Back