Francis's cardio problems : We've seen that before (Carwin, McGregor etc.)

frandie2b

------(SALD BELT)------
@red
Reaction score
After the fight I've seen a lot of people claiming that Francis Ngannou had not the level to compete for a title shot, his cardio was pathetic etc.

Francis's body gave up after the 1st round, and that's not the first time we see that in high level fights : Take for example Carwin against Lesnar, or McGregor vs Diaz 1.

More than bad conditionning, I think the adrenaline dump Francis had (just like Carwin) is due to feeling the pressure of the first title shot, getting too excited and starting too strong. I don't think conditionning was the problem here.

Or it could be that he barely trains cardio as he has never fought past the second round and carries far too much muscle mass..

Overeem had horrible cardio in his first fights in the UFC as well. He eventually slimmed down a fair bit and clearly upped his cardio regimen in place of weight training and now he has a much more reasonable gas tank.

Carwin only fought one 3 round fight his entire career and it mostly consisted of getting hit in the face by JDS. I haven't seen anything to indicate he ever improved his cardio before retiring.

I am sure there was some of that...but if I was him I would not chance coming it at same conditioning level. I think he naturally relied on his power too much..looks like he never had to go to the 3rd round

The dude is 264 pounds shredded gassed in 4 minutes, i would say its clear conditioning IS the problem here.

He was gassed in a scary way, I thought he might pass out or fall over. His power is insane though, even horribly gassed to the point of barely being able to walk, he still hurt Stipe with solid punch.

More than bad conditionning, I think the adrenaline dump Francis had (just like Carwin) is due to feeling the pressure of the first title shot, getting too excited and starting too strong. I don't think conditionning was the problem here.

Carwin was a marathon runner compared to Francis. Look at that Brock fight. Shane threw god knows how many rapid fire power shots trying to get Lesnar out of there and punched himself out. Even little guys (like McG) can punch themselves out.

But what is Francis' excuse? He sure didn't punch himself out in that first round. I guess Stipe laying on him for a couple minutes was all it took to empty his gas tank.

He was gassed in a scary way, I thought he might pass out or fall over. His power is insane though, even horribly gassed to the point of barely being able to walk, he still hurt Stipe with solid punch.

To me the real story is how badly Stipe gassed.

When I saw Francis come out for that second round, looking exactly as you describe, I thought Stipe was going to absolutely brutalize him. But then it quickly became apparent that Stipe was only slightly less gassed than Francis.

Someone needs to say it: Stipe's ground and pound against Ngannou was some of the absolute weakest I have ever seen in the HW division.

Ngannou in mexico city after throwing 3 punches

giphy.gif

After the fight I've seen a lot of people claiming that Francis Ngannou had not the level to compete for a title shot, his cardio was pathetic etc.

Francis's body gave up after the 1st round, and that's not the first time we see that in high level fights : Take for example Carwin against Lesnar, or McGregor vs Diaz 1.

I agree. Being in the big spotlight can drain people.

Ngannou in mexico city after throwing 3 punches

giphy.gif
Dear lord..... Booking Ngannou in mexico city would be.... absolutely fantastic and... horrendous... and... i really want to see it now <Lmaoo>

Conditioning is aerobic.

Tiring due to explosive exertion is anaerobic. His problem isnt conditioning, it's endurance.

The problem is, Endurance is built through a viccistude of fast twitch to slow twitch muscle fiber. Which hinders explosiveness.

Fast twitch Reflex, high explosion fighters will almost universally have issues with endurance and gassing out. It's just the way the body works.

Back