Ngannou is like a Reverse Lesnar

Magic Swag

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Seriously. Both guys have one skillset that, coupled with unheard of physical attributes, makes them VERY scary, they can seem unbeatable. But weather the storm and get them out of the comfort zone (when Lesnar absorbs a punch or when Ngannou gets taken down), and each is a fish out of water, almost comically so. Only difference is one is a stand up artist and the other a wrestler.

How Bow Dah?

That's selling Francis short. He still has plenty of career left. He lost to the longest defending hw champ. Its far from a pattern.

That's selling Francis short. He still has plenty of career left. He lost to the longest defending hw champ. Its far from a pattern.

MODS ... please delete my thread as my thesis has been disproven. No sarcasm.

Agreed, and thank you.

Brock would maul FranCan. He would take him down and go straight Donkey Kong on his cardio less body.

Brock & Ngannous size and strength, Brock's cardio, Brock's wrestling, and Francis' striking.

Otherwise known as ...

UBEREEM

When I look at guys like Ngannou i just don't buy that a top level heavyweight boxer can't compete in UFC. You can't tell me Anthony Joshua wouldn't be a factor in UFC with a year of training. Ngannou is essentially a good athlete who learned how to fight 5 years ago. Joshua already has an Olympic pedigree in boxing. Also he's 6'5 250 and he can go 12 rounds at a pretty fast pace, where Ngannou was gassed in 3 minutes after throwing flurries.

When I look at guys like Ngannou i just don't buy that a top level heavyweight boxer can't compete in UFC. You can't tell me Anthony Joshua wouldn't be a factor in UFC with a year of training. Ngannou is essentially a good athlete who learned how to fight 5 years ago. Joshua already has an Olympic pedigree in boxing. Also he's 6'5 250 and he can go 12 rounds at a pretty fast pace, where Ngannou was gassed in 3 minutes after throwing flurries.
Guys like that dont have the wrestling ability to keep it going. We've already seen elite boxing HWs. Look at Couture vs Toney.

I think this was a great learning experience for him, personally. I know the phrase gets tossed around often, but all things considered, it wasn't the worst showing.

He played to his strengths, pressed the action (when fresh) and landed some big shots, but Stipe ate them. What he couldn't handle was Stipe's wrestling/grinding, which at that weight, is doubly gruesome and known for draining the sh*t out of guys. I'd even argue that controlling a guy as big and strong as Ngannou, drained Stipe, too. Couple this to the fact that he couldn't put him away with shots, as Ngannou kept eating those, as well.

Meanwhile, Ngannou also managed to work from some difficult positions (earlier on, when he could), while staying in the fight despite a less-than-stellar corner. He definitely needs more experience with his grappling, but if he's going 5 rounds with Stipe, given a somewhat limited skillset, then I see potential.

It depends how bad he wants it and how much he's willing to invest in himself. He needs to switch to one of the top gyms and put some work in, now that he's higher profile.

I think this was a great learning experience for him, personally. I know the phrase gets tossed around often, but all things considered, it wasn't the worst showing.

He played to his strengths, pressed the action (when fresh) and landed some big shots, but Stipe ate them. What he couldn't handle was Stipe's wrestling/grinding, which at that weight, is doubly gruesome and known for draining the sh*t out of guys. I'd even argue that controlling a guy as big and strong as Ngannou, drained Stipe, too. Couple this to the fact that he couldn't put him away with shots, as Ngannou kept eating those, as well.

Meanwhile, Ngannou also managed to work from some difficult positions (earlier on, when he could), while staying in the fight despite a less-than-stellar corner. He definitely needs more experience with his grappling, but if he's going 5 rounds with Stipe, given a somewhat limited skillset, then I see potential.

It depends how bad he wants it and how much he's willing to invest in himself. He needs to switch to one of the top gyms and put some work in, now that he's higher profile.
Agreed. I hoped he would have proved more advanced than he did, but the promise is there. I'm a big Stipe fan, and it's admirable to make it 25 minutes with him without getting finished. It's a lot more than can be said about most of his opponents.

Nobody gonna give Francis credit for not quitting? Guy has one hell of a chin and is tough as fuck. I’m impressed. Not often you see a guy gas that hard and still keep fighting for 20 minutes

Agreed. If Ngannou got this far on KO power then so would Joshua. Joshua would have done much better against Stipe also due to having better striking offense, better striking defense, and better cardio. He'd still get wrestlefucked, though.

His young for a HW, has no history of injuries. It's all about his will to learn.

Back