Why is Stipe not as popular as the other HW champs?

Plutoburn

Alpha booze head
@Silver
Reaction score
Despite his stellar resume, he just doesn't seem to get the same amount of love other successful champions get. Seems clear Dana was more more excited talking about how scary/powerful Ngannou is leading up to the event rather than Stipe breaking the defense record, where Dana seems as enthusiastic as reading a script.

He also seems to get less respect from fans either, at least those who bets, very rare to see such an accomplished champ going against a relative new comer to the sport and is an underdog.

The only things I can think of that may be hurting his popularity is that his name is not American enough, the second is he has a weird cadence when he speaks, like he is rushing to finish a sentence. Outside of these 2 rather small oddities I can't really think of a reason why he isn't more popular and get the respect he deserves. Does he really need to talk shit like Connor or Bisping?

Being a good and exciting fighter who regularly fights everyone they put in front of him is not all the rage these days.

It's all about being an entertaining clown who brags about his wealth.

Are you seriously stating you don't know the answer to this..?? Its for the same reason that fight fans for the most part would most probably find the Godfather movie boring and yet would gladly sit through the entire Marvel universe movie collection like happy little bunnies.

Last edited:
He should just learn how to gaze scarily like prime CroCop

The UFC does a terrible fucking job of promoting him
He's a nice guy, not bad looking, guy keeps his job as a firefighter WHILE being a UFC champ, and he has been demolishing his opponents.
The only reason why he isn't more popular is that he isn't promoted.

Despite his stellar resume, he just doesn't seem to get the same amount of love other successful champions get. Seems clear Dana was more more excited talking about how scary/powerful Ngannou is leading up to the event rather than Stipe breaking the defense record, where Dana seems as enthusiastic as reading a script.

He also seems to get less respect from fans either, at least those who bets, very rare to see such an accomplished champ going against a relative new comer to the sport and is an underdog.

The only things I can think of that may be hurting his popularity is that his name is not American enough, the second is he has a weird cadence when he speaks, like he is rushing to finish a sentence. Outside of these 2 rather small oddities I can't really think of a reason why he isn't more popular and get the respect he deserves. Does he really need to talk shit like Connor or Bisping?

because nowadays MMA "fans" are more interested in trash talking skills and how much money a fighter flaunts, rather than his actual fighting skills

He's a nice guy, not bad looking, guy keeps his job as a firefighter WHILE being a UFC champ, and he has been demolishing his opponents.

That much is clear, but why?

That much is clear, but why?
I think the UFC makes bets against their own fighters. They have favorites.
It was clear they wanted Ngannou to win. He fits the stereotypical image of what a casual would think of as "the baddest man on the planet"..Stipe..not so much.

It's a pretty stupid strategy, because it often fails. Anything can happen in MMA. so the company putting all its chips behind the guy with the biggest mouth, or the flashiest style can quickly backfire

He is not very charismatic. He's been around for a while, and has also lost in the past. Hes not this fresh dominant killer. He's on a hot streak but he hasn't had a genuinely defining moment like Anderson, GSP or Jones... where he looks simply beyond the curve. Many think Cain would beat him.

He needs a nemesis and story. The HW division is a dinosaur museum.

because when stipe opens his mouth, you can literally see the double digit IQ.

....not me, but it turns a lot of people off.

Not everyone can have the natural charisma of Tim Sylvia.

His fucking monotone mumbling voice is impossible to promote

Idk what you are thinking but he is more popular than Werdum, just look at Werdum's buyrates and the broader recognition of Stipe. Hell I would say he is more popular than Cain, but thats only because Cains popularity gets dragged down by JDS KOing him in front of several million people.

it's not only his lack of charisma or personality, the only thing he got going for him is his record (wich is impressive), i really don't get how anyone can call miocic an "exciting fighter", when you play it safe for 4 rounds against a guy that can barely move anymore, you're not exciting

Because he got knocked out by Stefan Struve and some of his wins(Alistair,Werdum) were somewhat weird

His like plain toast

Just a very well rounded fighter that really doesn't stand out at all in anything he does. But it's enough to get the job done

In terms of heavyweight I guess the question is more popular than Who? Cain Velasquez was not particularly popular in terms of selling pay per views. 330 Thousand buys is all that that third fight with Junior sold. In the UFC all of the more popular fighters have always come from the lower weight classes outside of Brock.

Ufc does a terrible job at promoting him.

I've seen the UFC build up guys in efforts to get them to be champ.

Look at Cains resume. They saw Brown pride on his chest and said we need this guy.
Pamper his first 4 fight

Then look and jds first 4 fights.

One guy fought to the top. One guy catered to the top, and the latter was a failure

He's a down to earth guy who's a fireman. I wouldn't expect the general Sherdog base to appreciate someone like that.

People prefer cringe worthy show ponies like Macgregor or Mike Perry. Rude, disrespectful guys.

Im sure th3 way they shaft him is to do with contract stuff. Dana gets interviewed about ufc 220 and the first thing out his mouth is "francis didnt train the last 2 weeks, he was in france".

Not "stipe is the only heavyweight with 3 defences and he isn't always out injured like cain", hes straight away making excuses for his hype job even after francis has already made him whatever hype money he's gonna make

Dana is a fucking loser and shit rag of a human being

Back