"Don't stop, keep going"

Dr John Smith

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Dom was saying this last night regarding Stipe's takedown attempts, and that of other fighters as well. What did he mean?

To drive thru the TD?

Stipe did land a great power double on Ngannou - almost ran him all the way across the cage to finish it.

He actually ran him the whole distance of the cage iirc...

I dunno, I was constantly weighing the pros and cons of being held down vs being punched in my face.

According to Dom you'd much rather be getting punched in the face than to have to carry someone's weight while trying to get back to your feet.

I'm still glad I didn't get punched in the face last night, that still sounds worse than an extended tackle.

To drive thru the TD?

Stipe did land a great power double on Ngannou - almost ran him all the way across the cage to finish it.

this ^. It means to not stop on the takedowns or to just keep pushing through it. Francis was gone after the first round and didnt have the energy to stop any single or double legs. poor guy couldnt even hold his hands up in the 5th lol.

To drive thru the TD?

This. Dom explained what he meant at one point after that take down. He said a lot of guys will drop to both knees when they shoot a double and then try to hit the takedown as they stand back up, but you need to drop your center of gravity, but stay on your feet and keep pushing with your legs like you're running.

I dunno, I was constantly weighing the pros and cons of being held down vs being punched in my face.

According to Dom you'd much rather be getting punched in the face than to have to carry someone's weight while trying to get back to your feet.

I'm still glad I didn't get punched in the face last night, that still sounds worse than an extended tackle.
I think he was alluding to if you are just getting stacked on and held down it’s really taxing on you and can drain you.

At least if your opponent is throwing punches it can possibly create a little space to posture up or try to use that to create more of an opening to make something happen.

Maybe if you fight at 135 that would be valid.

At heavyweight I don't think so.

I think he was alluding to if you are just getting stacked on and held down it’s really taxing on you and can drain you.

At least if your opponent is throwing punches it can possibly create a little space to posture up or try to use that to create more of an opening to make something happen.
Definitely, but he never finished the thought so it sounded odd.

Next time someone should say 'don't stop, keep going' so he can finish the thought.

I thought it was brilliant by Stipe and he was so safe there that there was no reason to throw unless Herb was asking for action, in which case he did.

In wrestling, to finish a takedown, you're taught to drive through with your feet moving and to keep your knees off the ground. Often times in MMA, guys will shoot and then drop to their knees when sprawled on. When you do this you lose momentum on your shot and are normally stuffed. If you continue to drive and shoot through the man you're trying to take down you have much more success.

No he was talking about how it feels to exert effort while exhausted, an active decision, vs just monging out and getting hit, a passive decision. When you are tired you just accept things and shut down. Excellent and real insight from dom

No he was talking about how it feels to exert effort while exhausted, an active decision, vs just monging out and getting hit, a passive decision. When you are tired you just accept things and shut down. Excellent and real insight from dom

He looked to me like he would have loved for Stipe to choke him out, but unfortunately Stipe was choosing to just keep beating up on him. He seemed trapped, lost, and without the energy to attempt anything other than blocking his face (ironically) with one arm while using the other arm to keep a hand down so that Stipe could not knee him in the head, per the rules.

Back