New MMA Viewers

Obitronix

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Those new to MMA understandably lack the ability to recognize and know (more or less) much of what is going on during a fight as it concerns technical aspects of the sport. I know the commentators point things out, but many new viewers still gloss over important details. I hear lots of newbs and casuals saying things like, "why's he laying on him?". Over time, you expect people to get with the program. This happens the more you watch. I feel like the UFC should release a basics video for new viewers. I'm just sick of those people who only want striking matches. I like striking too, but its just one aspect of this beautiful sport. There are so many layers to appreciate.

I've been a long time advocate of having a grappling match on an event every now and again for educational purposes. I like the EBI rules and think it would go a long way in educating fans.

My friend always sighs whenever somebody goes for a TD or pushes against the fence. I try to explain what's going on to make it less boring, but yesterday was nothing to explain.

DC's fight was great. It's only bad when the fighter on top simply isn't working towards anything, and is perfectly content riding out the round and gaining time having control. Stipe was too gassed to take advantage of a stationary statue of Ngannou. Since I was rooting heavily for Stipe it wasn't so bad, but you can't blame people for not liking yesterday's main event.

Stopped watching events....barely know anyone. Guess I’m technically a new fan of the UFC if I ever care to pay attention to anyone

My friend always sighs whenever somebody goes for a TD or pushes against the fence. I try to explain what's going on to make it less boring, but yesterday was nothing to explain.

DC's fight was great. It's only bad when the fighter on top simply isn't working towards anything, and is perfectly content riding out the round and gaining time having control. Stipe was too gassed to take advantage of a stationary statue of Ngannou. Since I was rooting heavily for Stipe it wasn't so bad, but you can't blame people for not liking yesterday's main event.
To be fair, Stipe couldn't just go wasting energy pounding away on the ground. It takes a lot to keep Ngannou controlled. One false move and the dude is up. I was also going for Stipe. What a beast!

As much as it sucked, Ngannou's inability to do anything when in an uncomfortable position is really to blame here, not Stipe. Stipe used Ngannou's body size and weight against himself and he did nothing about it. Stipe was smart. Not like this is how he fights every fight. He fought this way to tame a one trick pony in front of his daddy.

To be fair, Stipe couldn't just go wasting energy pounding away on the ground. It takes a lot to keep Ngannou controlled. One false move and the dude is up. I was also going for Stipe. What a beast!
I know, but I really feel Stipe could have worked towards a RNC or something. Ngannou was actually so exhausted he was physically incapable of getting up in a reasonable amount of time.

I try explaining to my friends too. Some of them have fallen in love with the sport. I tell the others who just want punching to go watch boxing LOL

I've been a long time advocate of having a grappling match on an event every now and again for educational purposes. I like the EBI rules and think it would go a long way in educating fans.
That would be a fantastic way to lose viewers. Casual/new fans want to see blood and guts brawling, not guys rolling on the mat unfortunately.

As much as it sucked, Ngannou's inability to do anything when in an uncomfortable position is really to blame here, not Stipe. Stipe used Ngannou's body size and weight against himself and he did nothing about it. Stipe was smart. Not like this is how he fights every fight. He fought this way to tame a one trick pony in front of his daddy.
Ngannou's technique is awful. He can still KO people no doubt, but the dude needs to work on a lot (especially cardio).

Maybe that would prevent Cruz from explaining every intricate movement in painstaking detail.

That would be a fantastic way to lose viewers. Casual/new fans want to see blood and guts brawling, not guys rolling on the mat unfortunately.
I disagree. And moreover It's what they NEED.

Back