Who else is impressed when fighters actually don't quit and go the distance despite massive fatigue

LTorino

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I know the negative way to look at it is Ngannou's cardio was awful, but I see beauty in how a guy can be that physically drained and still continue to a decision loss.As the saying goes, fatigue makes cowards of us all. So fighting on despite enormous fatigue is a special quality which deserves respect and appreciation.

For sure, Francis showed he has real heart. He was hopelessly gassed by the end of the 2nd round but he was game until the end.

He was hopelessly gassed by the end of the 2nd round but he was game until the end.

He threw like 0 strikes in the last 10 mins of the fight, and spent circa 3 minutes actually standing entirely still with his hands by his side and his mouth open so wide his chin was rubbing the canvas.

Barboza showed heart and grit against Khabib, he was being slaughtered and he didn’t give in. Ngannou last night only lasted the distance because Stipe either didn’t have the gas himself, or decided it was too risky to start throwing hard ground strikes for 30-45 seconds.

How about Rory not quitting after getting his leg destroyed by Lima?

4C67928C-C38C-4B5A-A372-B16ED13AC770.jpeg

He threw like 0 strikes in the last 10 mins of the fight, and spent circa 3 minutes actually standing entirely still with his hands by his side and his mouth open so wide his chin was rubbing the canvas.

Barboza showed heart and grit against Khabib, he was being slaughtered and he didn’t give in. Ngannou last night only lasted the distance because Stipe either didn’t have the gas himself, or decided it was too risky to start throwing hard ground strikes for 30-45 seconds.
Ngannou was completely fucked in terms of his conditioning though. He had no gas to escape. Barboza still threw wheel kicks in the third round.

stipe was not active enough to give him a beatdown. can't comment on his heart

Ngannou was completely fucked in terms of his conditioning though. He had no gas to escape. Barboza still threw wheel kicks in the third round.

You miss my point. The only reason Ngannou didn’t lose by stoppage or submission is because Stipe didn’t go for one. Francis was so depleted that Stipe could have postured and thrown strikes for 30 seconds, or attacked the neck at any time and I have NO doubt whatsoever that Ngannou would have quit.

He wanted a way out and he would’ve quit but Stipe was either too tired himself or too apprehensive to make any serious attempt.

giphy.webp

You miss my point. The only reason Ngannou didn’t lose by stoppage or submission is because Stipe didn’t go for one. Francis was so depleted that Stipe could have postured and thrown strikes for 30 seconds, or attacked the neck at any time and I have NO doubt whatsoever that Ngannou would have quit.

He wanted a way out and he would’ve quit but Stipe was either too tired himself or too apprehensive to make any serious attempt.

He was too tired, I think he had a dump after the 1st because he worked extremely hard for the early TD and Francis was so strong early

I know the negative way to look at it is Ngannou's cardio was awful, but I see beauty in how a guy can be that physically drained and still continue to a decision loss.As the saying goes, fatigue makes cowards of us all. So fighting on despite enormous fatigue is a special quality which deserves respect and appreciation.
tumblr_me67stOXpt1qcw5hyo1_500.png

Idk how great of Cardio he ever will have cutting weight to make 265, he’s pure muscle and you can only pump so much oxygen, guy will likely always fade.

Still tons of respect, I was actually afraid his body might shut down on him being that big and exhausted. His legs were shot after the 2nd.

I’ve pushed my body to the exhaustion point and became dehydrated, there’s nothing worst and I couldn’t imagine being at that state all while getting wrestled and punched, many people would have quit

Last year I signed up for a "white collar boxing challenge." Everyone's response was the same--"hope you like getting hit in the face."

Actually, getting hit in the face was nowhere the worst of it. Body shots are worse, for example. But the absolute WORST part is being completely gassed with a minute left in the round, so gassed you can hardly hold up your hands, and the other guy is going full bore. It really is one of the worst feelings in the world, just helplessness, pain, disappointment... ugh.

So yes.

Idk how great of Cardio he ever will have cutting weight to make 265, he’s pure muscle and you can only pump so much oxygen, guy will likely always fade.

Still tons of respect, I was actually afraid his body might shut down on him being that big and exhausted. His legs were shot after the 2nd.

I’ve pushed my body to the exhaustion point and became dehydrated, there’s nothing worst and I couldn’t imagine being at that state all while getting wrestled and punched, many people would have quit
No one else told him he had to put on that much muscle. Stipe could do it too but he doesn't because it's not smart.

No one else told him he had to put on that much muscle. Stipe could do it too but he doesn't because it's not smart.

I doubt Stipe could ever look like that, that’s just the difference in them naturally. It’s not like Francis body builds, in his words he’s just a “specimen”

I doubt Stipe could ever look like that, that’s just the difference in them naturally. It’s not like Francis body builds, in his words he’s just a “specimen”
you don't think Stipe can lift weights and put on muscle mass

I'm more impressed when a physically dominates the match with a 30-40 pound weight disadvantage

...but hey, that's just me
<Fedor23>

I love it when any fighter digs deep and doesn't quit. I also don't really mind when a fighter decides that their health is their main asset, and decide to live to fight another day. If you conduct yourself honorably, and reach either outcome, you are good by me.

Francis can say whatever he wants about himself.....he's already been wrong once in the last 24 hours I know of...big time

Dude lifts weights like a bodybuilder ....the videos of him doing it are all over

Stipe mostly does road work to maintain

And Just like a bodybuilder he shows exactly what happens to those beach muscles when they fill up with blood and lactic acid

You think cormier can't get a physique either?

I guess these guys are too busy training the fundamentals...hence why they're the champ

He should just cut and run and do Mr Olympia if that's what he's built for
<36>

Back