Why does the UFC REFUSE to strip conor mcgregor???

rb3b3

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I see there are many threads about yesterdays press conference, but i wanted to hear what you guys have to say... As we all know dana said tf vs khabib is for the undisputed title, but then refuses to say that conor will be stripped... Its fkn weird!!!

So my question is, what can be the reason that the ufc refuses to strip conor even though supposedly tf vs khabib is for the undisputed title??

My guess is it has to do with the champion clause of cm contract.?? Its the only way the ufc can somewhat control their cash cow.

what do u guys think?

Dana is like a parent who spoiled their child too much to the point of losing control.

Who cares, there's already 50 threads on this.

Conor may have specific wording in his contract that he can't be "stripped". Probably something that was added while the Floyd negotiations were going on.

1c7f61c3-d7eb-4957-9af8-0572debe8a3a-jpeg.325325

Not to be a dk but another Conor thread.

Because they don't gain anything from it, and it doesn't change anything in the eyes of the people that pay their bills (the fans.)

They like having him in a champions contract. Not being a champion makes it easier for him to fight out his contract.

As many times as Kebab/Ferguson has fallen apart (I think it's 3 times Kebab and 1 time Ferguson at this point) would you preemptively strip Conor before they're in the cage?

I imagine they just wanna draw it out until right up until the fight is taking place.

If Khabib gets injured and Tony has to fight someone else - they can say "Oh, well now this fight is no longer for the title"

Or maybe Conor or the UFC have some PR thing where he gets more money if they can call Conor "the champ" so maybe the just want to wait until the last minute before he's stripped.

Possibly Conor also wants to announce that he's vacating at the same time as he's announcing some other thing.
They like having him in a champions contract. Not being a champion makes it easier for him to fight out his contract.
What would a champions contract entail?

I would imagine that the clause would be that you might lose your belt if you fight outside the organization. But with the belt already lost - what would be the point?

As many times as Kebab/Ferguson has fallen apart (I think it's 3 times Kebab and 1 time Ferguson at this point) would you preemptively strip Conor before they're in the cage?

So, right after the opening bell, they announce "Conor McGregor is stripped of/vacated the title."

I like that.

I see there are many threads about yesterdays press conference, but i wanted to hear what you guys have to say... As we all know dana said tf vs khabib is for the undisputed title, but then refuses to say that conor will be stripped... Its fkn weird!!!

So my question is, what can be the reason that the ufc refuses to strip conor even though supposedly tf vs khabib is for the undisputed title??

My guess is it has to do with the champion clause of cm contract.?? Its the only way the ufc can somewhat control their cash cow.

what do u guys think?
I'm frustrated by this situation... Very much so

The reasoning I cantonment of is severalfold

#1 incase Khabib / tony fail to reach the octagon - hasn't wasted Connors name/'ed him needlessly.

#2 they are hoping Khabib wins and thatsets them up for big fight in Russia against Conor. (Irish Edmund has spoken into this).

#3 is suspect if the fight happens and Tony wins. They will strip him in the cage orwwe style setupnext fight

I imagine they just wanna draw it out until right up until the fight is taking place.
Maybe it's good PR to be able to introduce Conor as "the champ" for as long as possible and not get questions about being stripped just yet.
What would a champions contract entail?

I would imagine that the clause would be that you might lose your belt if you fight outside the organization. But with the belt already lost - what would be the point?
I'm pretty sure champions contracts automatically renew, meaning they pretty much have you locked down in the UFC while champion.

I'm pretty sure champions contracts automatically renew, meaning they pretty much have you locked down in the UFC while champion.
Hmm. So technically he would've never been allowed to fight Floyd unless the UFC agreed to it?

From what I recall there were lots of debates about whether or not they could prohibit someone from leaving, and I think many claimed that one could probably get away with it if it became a court case.

But I might be dead wrong.

So, right after the opening bell, they announce "Conor McGregor is stripped of/vacated the title."
Or Bruce Buffer announces it before reading the winner.

But then again - the fight could still be turned into a NC if the winner gets popped for weed or something. So maybe Dana thinks they'll have to wait til a few months after the fight ends...

Because Conor would leave UFC.
he would basically have to retire from fighting if he did that. WME has locked him and he can't legally make a dime from any combat sport without their approval. Even if he did leave UFC and pursued boxing, he could only make one more fight before fans realize how terrible he is when he is getting KOed by the likes of Paulie.

He could try his hand at Hollywood, but his salary would be diminished because he no longer has the prestige of "UFC champion" (ask Ronda how that went).

Back