Daniel Cormier Admits He's Too Scared to Fight Stipe and Ngannou

Would you like to see Cormier fight Stipe or Ngannou?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
BOSTON -- Don’t expect Daniel Cormier to make a return to the heavyweight division before he calls it a career.

The current UFC light heavyweight champion was tremendously successful at 265 pounds. He won his first 13 pro fights as a heavyweight, including a championship run in the Strikeforce Grand Prix tournament.

His move down to light heavyweight was in large part due to the fact that he didn’t want to fight his friend and training partner, UFC heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez.

But despite the weight cuts getting more difficult as he gets older, and despite Velasquez, who is injured, not being likely to be hold the title any time in the near future, Cormier said his days of playing with the big boys are done.

“Man, you guys see me next to these guys?” Cormier said at Wednesday’s UFC 220 open workouts. “Especially now, I understand I’m cutting weight, so I’m a lot smaller, but, just the size difference, just the size difference of guys like Francis [Ngannou] and Stipe [Miocic].”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/1/...has-no-plans-on-ever-returning-to-heavyweight

He's being humble, I don't believe he's legitimately 'scared'.

I would love to see him back at HW.

DC would get killed by Ngannou.

Way to big, and way too long. He'd get badly hurt coming in.

EDIT: After UFC 220, hell naw. {<doc}{<jordan}

Last edited:
Wow, Lost all respect for Cormier.

Wow, Lost all respect for Cormier.
Lets be real, would you want to fight a dude 25-30lbs heavier? Longer than you, with KO power? Atleast DC is being honest like GSP.

Your respect means nothing here in the face of common sense.

Lets be real, would you want to fight a dude 25-30lbs heavier? Longer than you, with KO power? Atleast DC is being honest like GSP.

I don't think DC would be scared to fight anyone at HW. Brock had to outweigh Cain by at least 40 lbs and Cain destroyed him. I think DC could win against both.

Well he already got brutally KO'd by some stick legs so I wouldn't wanna fight them either

Meanwhile Jones calls out Lesnar.

In all fairness, when DC was a hw there weren't freaking monsters like Ngannou, Stipe, and Overeem lurking about. I think he actually has the tools to beat anybody at HW, but that's a huge task (pun intended) for a 5'11" 40-year-old lhw.

Jones gone (for now :cool:)
Rumble gone
Gus can't stay healthy

Why leave the division when you can fight the OzedemirS and ManuwaS of the world.

Last edited:
He’s not scared. He’s being honest and practical. Fuck you.

I wouldn't wanna fight them big dudes either

He's obviously hyping the main event tomorrow, but there's no shame in a 39 year old injecting a little reality.

That said if you actually think he's scared, you're a goofball

Yea, that was me...and my brother growing up. Dude beat the crap out of me regularly lol..

Back