Why do you think Ngannou's energy has been different than it was in the lead up to Overeem?

IGotAHugePeckah

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He's shown Stipe a LOT more respect than he did Overeem. I know the easy answer is "he's fighting the champ, it's his first title shot, of course he's showing the champ more respect", but I think there has to be much more to it than that.

Leading up to the Overeem fight he was a mean motherfucker. He was talking mad shit to Overeem, he looked him in the eye multiple times and told him he was getting knocked out, he was getting put to sleep. At the weigh in, he spread his arms wide like the fucking Predator, like "look how big I am". He completely alpha'd him, Overeem always looked a bit uncomfortable. I think he had Overeem scared coming into the octagon, just like Tyson used to do to his opponents.

He hasn't done anything like that with Stipe. He hasn't backed down at all, but he hasn't pulled any of that alpha shit. All he says is "Stipe is a great champ but now it's my time". When they were on ESPN together, he admitted it was "weird" being that close to Stipe - he looked uncomfortable in the situation. Contrast that with Overeem, whenever they were around each other Ngannou would just talk shit to his face.

Was it just that he thought he could punk Overeem but doesn't think he can faze Stipe the same way? Is he just super focused on the goal at hand? Does Stipe's energy make him uncomfortable?

He's shook, rattled, triggered, beta'd, son'd, cucked, owned and gotten to.

Not really. Just steadily gaining confidence and better expressing himself in English.

I think Stipe commands more respect.

Stipe's been humble and respectful despite having the resume of a killer. Ngannou comes with a whole bunch hype that is a little bit over the top and he's been pretty cocky in the run up to this fight.

They say the Romans would advance on their enemies in complete silence, meanwhile most of their enemies would be screaming, yelling, beating their shields/chests, some even stripping their clothes and armor in attempts to shake the Romans.

Must have been pretty awkward and chilling to do all that only to see that silent shield wall still lumbering toward your lines without skipping a beat.

He was fired up over some comments Overeem made, like when he said Ngannou faked his age and is actually older than him.

Fans tend to want a bad guy and a good guy in these fights. I think both of these guys are genuinely nice and fairly soft-spoken. Neither one fits the role of the bad or cocky guy. Ngannaou probably experimented a bit with Overeem to test the waters as far as marketing himself and the fight, but he seemed a bit uncomfortable in doing so. I think now he's just being himself, which is a fairly laid back.

mutual respect
tenor.gif

It was just him answering to Overeem's trash talk. That was not the first time that usually respectful fighters get mad at the Reem pre or post fight (see Bigfoot for example).

Stipe is cool and super nice, so he doesn't cause such antics.

He's shown Stipe a LOT more respect than he did Overeem. I know the easy answer is "he's fighting the champ, it's his first title shot, of course he's showing the champ more respect", but I think there has to be much more to it than that.

Leading up to the Overeem fight he was a mean motherfucker. He was talking mad shit to Overeem, he looked him in the eye multiple times and told him he was getting knocked out, he was getting put to sleep. At the weigh in, he spread his arms wide like the fucking Predator, like "look how big I am". He completely alpha'd him, Overeem always looked a bit uncomfortable. I think he had Overeem scared coming into the octagon, just like Tyson used to do to his opponents.

He hasn't done anything like that with Stipe. He hasn't backed down at all, but he hasn't pulled any of that alpha shit. All he says is "Stipe is a great champ but now it's my time". When they were on ESPN together, he admitted it was "weird" being that close to Stipe - he looked uncomfortable in the situation. Contrast that with Overeem, whenever they were around each other Ngannou would just talk shit to his face.

Was it just that he thought he could punk Overeem but doesn't think he can faze Stipe the same way? Is he just super focused on the goal at hand? Does Stipe's energy make him uncomfortable?

Overeem talked mad shit about Ngannou saying he was older then he really was and just making up stupid lies so Ngannou made him pay . For Stipe he doesn't need to do that because Stipe has been nothing but classy and not talking any trash this fight for Ngannou is for the belt and it's all business

Ngannou by 1st Rd KO

Back