Has stipe ever beaten an opponent with longer reach than him?

shortlefthook

305 where I reside
@Black
Reaction score
I don't think so, stipe has a hard to closing distance effectively as is against similar reach or even shorter, very linear pressure that makes guys nervous and expose themselves.
however against longer guys that style turns you into a punching bag, and against Francis that's one punch.

I still think stipe can win but man If he doesn't get that takedown he might be fucked.
Or he comes out and makes some real adjustment to his defense to set up offense, because his style in the past with no head movement throwing long 1-2s won't work against a longer more powerful nganouu.

I wouldn't pick either guy confidently but if stipe comes out like he did vs overeem he will get slept in the first, you could see stipe having trouble with overeems long punches and walked right into right hands.I have a hard time seeing him walk out bobbing and weaving like DC to get in the pocket, it's just not his style

I don't think so, stipe has a hard to closing distance effectively as is against similar reach or even shorter, very linear pressure that makes guys nervous and expose themselves.
however against longer guys that style turns you into a punching bag, and against Francis that's one punch.

I still think stipe can win but man If he doesn't get that takedown he might be fucked.
Or he comes out and makes some real adjustment to his defense to set up offense, because his style in the past with no head movement throwing long 1-2s won't work against a longer more powerful nganouu.

I wouldn't pick either guy confidently but if stipe comes out like he did vs overeem he will get slept in the first, you could see stipe having trouble with overeems long punches and walked right into right hands.I have a hard time seeing him walk out bobbing and weaving like DC to get in the pocket, it's just not his style
Stipe has knockout power at short distance so as soon as he gets close he can knock anyone out which is why I think he will beat Francis. Francis has those long elephant arms and if Miocic can keep pressing him and stay in the pocket he has a chance

francis is a power striker, i dont think of him as a guy who uses his reach really well w straight punches and teeps, footwork etc - but it could be a factor, no doubt

Stipe has knockout power at short distance so as soon as he gets close he can knock anyone out which is why I think he will beat Francis. Francis has those long elephant arms and if Miocic can keep pressing him and stay in the pocket he has a chance
The problem is him crossing that middle range he usually stays upright and on the center line, it's exactly how overeem and struve caught him, I have no doubt he has enough power to ko Francis, but I have a doubt of his ability to reliable and safely close the distance

Francis is a counter striker.
Exactly he feints often and throws jabs but his heavy shots are almost always reactional he's a natural counter puncher on instinct, it's part of the problem with the matchup

Exactly he feints often and throws jabs but his heavy shots are almost always reactional he's a natural counter puncher on instinct, it's part of the problem with the matchup
Yup, he baits people and then counters hard. That's how he KTFO Reem. He is actually countering the counter which is really hard to prepare for. Stipe better wrestle in this fight or don't bite on the baits until he thinks Francis is gassed and slowed down.

Awesome fight, can't wait for it! Either guy winning is ok with me.

Question.....has ngannou ever knocked a guy out that fought with stipe's style?

Overeem-wildly swinging in the pocket

Arlovski-caught throwing a wild ass haymaker from a mile away

Bojan- only thing he threw was feint...dude was in over his head big time

Henrique- was throwing anything...was covering up whilw he just let ngannou and walk up to him and tee off

Blaydes- blaydes jab had ngannou shook and he couldnt even finish curt...too bad blaydes defense is blocking with his head

Im actually trying to recall igloo throwing a jab ever...

Many could be forgiven for comparing this fight to DC/Rumble & justifying predictions off the back of that. But I appreciate your analysis. And I agree with your last sentence... I just plain don't think Stipe is on the same level talent-wise as DC. So I honestly don't think he stands the same odds against a similar opponent in Ngannou.

In fact... I think DC would actually have a pretty decent chance at beating Ngannou himself. But that's a debate for another day.

Henrique- was throwing anything...was covering up whilw he just let ngannou and walk up to him and tee off

Blaydes- blaydes jab had ngannou shook and he couldnt even finish curt...too bad blaydes defense is blocking with his head

Your post also highlights quite an important point about the standard of striking talent in the UFC HW division.

He lost to the only guy with longer reach--Struve. Ngannou and Struve have about the same length in reach.

Lol he beat the crap out of Blaydes. All this post does is illustrate how easy it is to discredit any fighter's resume. Could make the exact same post for Stipe's wins.

Lol he beat the crap out of Blaydes. All this post does is illustrate how easy it is to discredit any fighter's resume. Could make the exact same post for Stipe's wins.
He beat up blaydes enough to get the doc stoppage...Yea but he stanky legged igloo in the first ten seconds with a jab

And no you couldn't make the same case on stipe's resume since all his opponents has some fight in them

Henrique LITERALLY stood and waited for igloo to come and hit him as he covered up

Bojan didn't land a single strike cause WTF is bojan?

Never seen overeem that sloppy in my life

Arlovski was on a six fight losing streak

At least werdum was coming in with a legit 1-2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back