So is Tony vs Khabib for the belt?

Eli1015

Martial Artist
@Brown
Reaction score
I know this fight is announced. But have they actually stated it's for the actual 155 pound belt? Have they stated Conor McGregor is stripped? Or is the winner fighting Conor in September? Genuinely not seeing anything about it.

Yes it is 100%. Conors being stripped.

As far as I've been able to find, its only a rumor that Conor will be stripped. Supposedly they will announce it during this weekend's PPV. I don't think anything official has been said.

One thing to keep in mind though is Khabib's team said they won't fight for an interim belt and that was a sticking point for getting the fight with Ferg finalized.

As far as I've been able to find, its only a rumor that Conor will be stripped. Supposedly they will announce it during this weekend's PPV. I don't think anything official has been said.

One thing to keep in mind though is Khabib's team said they won't fight for an interim belt and that was a sticking point for getting the fight with Ferg finalized.
Interesting. Thanks for the update.

Its for the super hulk belt.

tumblr_inline_mrj0zgkNyC1qz4rgp.jpg

I’m guessing that Conor won’t be stripped but they will promote Tony to super interim champ status. So it’s definitley a promotion.

What a stupid situation to be in. Why can't the UFC just be normal again when it comes to the belts?

"Interim champ" has lost all meaning. Whichever wins the fight is the champ IMO. I think a lot of people will consider the winner to be the champ. Whatever that means.

I honestly wish they could just force Mcgregor to fight at this point lol. He definitley doesn't want to be beltless though and that zero title defenses thing definitley bugs him. This whole Khabib vs Tony for the real belt thing could just be a ruse to lure Mcgregor into defending.

Why does Conor get first shot once he's back?

OR, Khabib's team just said that and has 1/10000th of the power Conor has here. Conor has repeatedly said he will fight, but only if his price is met. If UFC strips him, the chance of getting a deal done with him is greatly decreased. Judging how abysmal this year was PPV wise, the fact that Conor single handedly saved them from a massively failing year, the fact that GSP, Brock and Ronda may be gone forever, Im willing to wager that they will be willing to make any number of concession to get the deal done. Dana also just said two days ago that Conor would be stripped if he did not fight by September -- seems silly to say that and then strip him in early January.

Why does Conor get first shot once he's back?
Because he will make the champ/whoever has the belt more money in one fight than they will make their whole career.

Champs that have offered to fight Conor:
Flyweight (mighty mouse) up thru MW (GSP). It's safe to say Conor gets any fight in the UFC that he wants. Money is the greatest motivator in the world.

Not official but pretty strong rumour considering the original rumour was Khabib X Tony in Brooklyn (UFC 223) for full belt, so far the rumour is 2/2.

Because he will make the champ/whoever has the belt more money in one fight than they will make their whole career.

Champs that have offered to fight Conor:
Flyweight (mighty mouse) up thru MW (GSP). It's safe to say Conor gets any fight in the UFC that he wants. Money is the greatest motivator in the world.

Khabib doesn't fight for money

I honestly wish they could just force Mcgregor to fight at this point lol. He definitley doesn't want to be beltless though and that zero title defenses thing definitley bugs him. This whole Khabib vs Tony for the real belt thing could just be a ruse to lure Mcgregor into defending.
I doubt it bugs him. When has he ever defended in his career?

Most exciting fight of the year to me so far. I know it's early. Here's to hoping Khabib ragdolls Tony.

I'm beyond caring about the belts now. Over the past few years the UFC has made sure they are worthless. Whomever wins this fight is the best lightweight in the world, we all know that.

Back