Should a failed weight cut in MMA be a forfeit on the record?

VIPERdude

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Training camps in pro MMA are not cheap to have.
In my opinion a fighter that has spent the money on a camp to prepare, fills all their obligations to the contract, makes weight and cleared to fight that fighter deserves their show money but also the win money.

As I also believe the fighter missing weight should be counted as a forfeit and takes an Loss on the record (loss via forfeit). If the opponent does not fulfill their part of the fight bout, decides to have that extra cheeseburger and misses weight then that's on them.

If a fighter ends up making weight and cant compete due to health reasons (ex: kidney failure) then it should play out as it does now but the contract abiding fighter still deserves his full fight purse.

All fighters have the responsibility to fulfill their obligations leading up to and making the fight. It wouldn't be a bad idea for the UFC to require a mid fight week weight check before hand to see if the fighters are safely cutting and are safely on track to make the weight. Then the UFC can better prepare a replacement opponent if needed.

Thoughts?

Maybe. There's gotta be a way to get fighters in their appropriate weight classes instead of dangerously trying to cut dozens of pounds. They CAN'T be 100%, and a bunch of times we miss out on seeing the match at all. I like your idea, or perhaps weighing the fighters out of fight camp, then only allowing them to fight in a division within 15 pounds of that weight

Is there a sport where records are more meaningless than MMA? Does anybody think Hamill beat Jones? Adding a fake win or fake loss on someone's record won't fool anybody.

just make it a catchweight fight and fat shame the guy

People who miss weight should have their entrance music replaced by this:

In my opinion a fighter that has spent the money on a camp to prepare, fills all their obligations to the contract, makes weight and cleared to fight that fighter deserves their show money but also the win money.

As I also believe the fighter missing weight should be counted as a forfeit and takes an Loss on the record (loss via forfeit). If the opponent does not fulfill their part of the fight bout, decides to have that extra cheeseburger and misses weight then that's on them.

If a fighter ends up making weight and cant compete due to health reasons (ex: kidney failure) then it should play out as it does now but the contract abiding fighter still deserves his full fight purse.

All fighters have the responsibility to fulfill their obligations leading up to and making the fight. It wouldn't be a bad idea for the UFC to require a mid fight week weight check before hand to see if the fighters are safely cutting and are safely on track to make the weight. Then the UFC can better prepare a replacement opponent if needed.

Thoughts?
Not a bad idea, we have been cheated out of many great fights because of bad weight cuts. It's natural to look for every advantage possible and dangerous weight cuts need to be discouraged. Shame Vitor and Tony didn't get paid or completely paid

Failed drug tests (in competition) need to result in losses.

Thoughts?
That's basically how RoadFC worked.

Kyung Ho Kang lost via "technical decision" to Andrew Leone -- because he missed weight. Road's policy is if you miss weight you get points deducted.

http://mmasucka.com/2014/04/06/reality-road-fc-punitive-treatment-fighters-missing-weight/

Give the opponent his win bonus and all, but NO ONE wants to get a W on their record like that

It doesn't really matter. No one would actually look at that loss and think that this proved the winner is a better fighter or that he deserves something for getting the win.

Not a loss. Not unless it’s habitual.

It’s pro fighting, and shit happens not always under the control of a fighter, or his team. Injuries, etc that can affect weight cutting.

Get rid of the weight cutting, and it solves fighters not making weight. I’d rather the ACs take that route.

I think it's fine the way it is for the first time. But there needs to be stricter penalties for repeat offenders.

If they withdraw from the fight due to weight cut complications/illnesses, yes. If they're just heavy, no, the fine is sufficient, as 20-30% of a fighter's purse is substantial as is, not to mention ineligibility for bonuses.

Back