Should the UFC Encourage Cornermen More to Throw In the Towel to Protect Their Fighters?

Better Every Day

Zhang finishing Andrade avatar
Platinum Member
Reaction score
This general topic (of the thread title) is discussed at the beginning of this video (first 7 minutes or so), with the example of Paige VanZant's broken arm (and her corner) as the trigger for the conversation.

What do you think?

I don't know if institutional encouragement would change much, but I'd definitely like if cornermen threw in the towel a lot more than they actually do. I mean, let us take a few examples. Khabib vs. Barboza, recently. Hell, what about Velasquez vs. Dos Santos III?

It's the job of the cornermen to take care of their fighters, for fuck's sake.

Yes, they should but no, they won't.

Well, first, the rules would need to be amended to allow for legitimate corner stoppages by throwing in the towel while the round is still going on. As of now, it's still considered a foul as interference from the corner under the unified rules, although any ref worth his or her salt would likely rule the fight over by TKO. Then we can remind corners that they can do that.

The Diaz brothers do it. That should show everyone that it's in fact not a pussy move.

NATE-TKO.gif

Nah I’d just like to see more cornermen step up and know when to call it if it’s bad. Save your man out there even if you have to save them from themselves.

As noted, if they would amend the rules, I'd be for it.

I recall Wes Sims calling for the towel (seemingly confused and unaware it wasn't a possibility) and getting punched in the mouth and KO'd for his efforts. Felt bad watching it.

Would lead to Sherdoggers claiming fights were thrown by corrupt cornermen.

That's the refs job. The towel shouldn't be thrown in if the ref is doing his job correctly.

How I see the towel being thrown in is because the ref isn't doing shit and the corner has do do something to save their fighter.

The ufc encouraging this from the corners means they don't have faith in the refs. Which means basically they're stating that it's unsafe to trust an official.

It should be taken to the commission and request higher standards in either hiring refs or how refs perform.

The Diaz brothers do it. That should show everyone that it's in fact not a pussy move.

NATE-TKO.gif

The bond between Diaz brothers is a lot stronger than that between coach and fighter, and I guess the relations with the fighter are what’s at the forefront of any coaches mind in a scenario like this, when it should be the fighters safety. But yes, I guess these coaches see their fighters get the snot beaten out of them on a daily basis and so are accustomed to it, and probably are thinking that as coaches they’re practicing what they preach about never say die by not throwing in the towel

absolutely. do you really want to see paige fighting with one arm for multiple rounds, or lawler hobbling around on one leg at the end of a fight? there's no point and it's dangerous.

That's the refs job. The towel shouldn't be thrown in if the ref is doing his job correctly.

How I see the towel being thrown in is because the ref isn't doing shit and the corner has do do something to save their fighter.
yes and no. sometimes a ref can't see the extent of an injury, if a fighter is masking it well or if he tells his corner something between rounds. a fighter trying to tough it out with say a busted knee might be risking his career if he takes a few hard shots to it in the next round.

or a guy like cabbage, who had a head made of rock and would not go down if you hit it with a sledgehammer. his corner threw in the towel against Sylvia because the guy could have died and he still wouldn't have gone down.

VanZant didn't tell the ref that her arm was broken, she told her corner. How often do fighters chat with the ref between rounds? They pretty much always talk to their cornermen though about what is going on, don't they?

VanZant didn't tell the ref that her arm was broken, she told her corner. How often do fighters chat with the ref between rounds? They pretty much always talk to their cornermen though about what is going on, don't they?
You can't blame the corner for Vanzant's decision.

I just don't see it as their fault if they don't throw it in.

You can't blame the corner for Vanzant's decision.

I just don't see it as their fault if they don't throw it in.

I think that others would argue that it is supposed to be the fighter's mentality to want fight through every difficulty and injury, and it is supposed to be the corner's job to protect the fighter when that mentality is likely to be harmful for the fighter and the fighter's future career.

I think that others would argue that it is supposed to be the fighter's mentality to want fight through every difficulty and injury, and it is supposed to be the corner's job to protect the fighter when that spirit is likely to be bad for the fighter and the fighter's career..
You can't blame the corner for not doing it though. They have the power, and I wouldn't argue if they did throw it in, but not throwing the towel in shouldn't be a wrong doing on their side.

The ufc supporting this completely puts blame on the corner when it should either go to the fighter or the ref.

Fighters who tap out to non submissions are only looked down upon on sherdog. Its perfectly fine in reality. They should be held just as accountable. And if you think the fight should have been stopped, they need blame too. Page was just as foolish as her corner. But maybe that's what she wanted.

You guys saying that it's illegal and that's why they can't do it do realize that's the point. It's corner interference which causes the fight to be stopped

Yeah.

Some of the beatdowns that happen in MMA would never happen in boxing, guys like Barao or Pettis might still actually be top 10 fighters had their corners thrown in the towel after two or three rounds when it became clear they had nothing for their opponents.

Back