Lets talk about Conor grappling

migeru29

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
And with grappling I mean wrestling, BJJ, Judo, etc. Anything related to stand up grappling to ground grappling. What’s your opinion about his BJJ coach, his wrestling coach and his training partners? Do you think we have enough evidence to make a full case about his grappling skills? He survived against a Gracie pretty well during a BJJ match, what you think about that?

First of all I’m a hater, I’m truly a hater and I want to start with recognizing that. Second, I want to be honest and recognize that as much as I tried to ignore it I still have a little bit of doubt about the claim he is a terrible or average grappler. The fact is that there’s a lack of data in order to come up with conclusions. Let’s discuss the 3 examples that everyone keeps talking about (I’m not counting his 2 sub loses from ages ago, that’s silly).

Chad Mendes is one of the best wrestlers and Conor didn’t prepare himself to fight an elite wrestler plus he claim he was injured? This is the best evidence that we have against Conor but still is not a perfect piece of evidence for the reasons described above.

Diaz submission is also used as an example but even a hater like me know this is not a very good piece of evidence since Conor gave up before that, he was tired and dizzy; we really didn’t see his grappling skills at all in neither of those fights.

Finally, probably the best example to his favor was his fight against Alvarez. Yes, Alvarez is a great fighter but nonetheless lets be honest he is a jack of all trades master of none, he’s is decent grappler but not elite, he doesn’t have the credentials and he haven’t outwrestled any elite grappler to make his case. I don’t believe he has the creativity and variations of take downs and throws that Khabib, Romero and other elite grapplers have.

Conclusion: His grappling skill level is a mystery (in my honest opinion) due to the lack of evidence.

P.S. sorry about my english (Second language.)

Last edited:
Conor's grappling ? It doesn't exist...

Here he stops a TD from a D1 LHW fighter who also has the best chin and boxing in combat sports history.

Despite a 12 inch reach and 67 lb weight disadvantage, Conor more than holds his own.
BlankWarmCaecilian.gif

conor's grappling is average.

his haters just like to act like he's the worst grappler that's ever existed because theres no grey area when it comes to conor.

if he's not the best at something he must be the worst.

Ryan Hall went to Ireland and trained with him a bit before the Aldo fight. He made a comment about the gulf between Conor and Aldo on the ground not being what people might think. Not that it mattered lol.

Nonetheless, he's probably not going to get his TDD and defensive jiu-jitsu to the level it would need to be to neutralize a wrestler like Khabib or a grappler like Tony. To do so, he'd need more time than the UFC is gonna buy him with this rumored title fight, in my opinion.

If he's actually planning on fighting again, I would assume he's using his time off to step up his grappling game. I've seen some recent training footage and it doesn't look like he's focusing on striking, however, I'm not a fanboy and I don't follow every move he makes like some people.

If I were him, and I knew I was gonna have to fight the winner of Terg/Kabob, I know that's what I would be doing.

Conor's ground game is good.

Problem is, Tony is great and Khabib is exceptional. If you're anything less than exceptional against Khabib you're fucked.

Here he stops a TD from a D1 LHW fighter who also has the best chin and boxing in combat sports history.

Despite a 12 inch reach and 67 lb weight disadvantage, Conor more than holds his own.
BlankWarmCaecilian.gif

That's actually him getting taken down by probably the worst wrestler in the division (other than himself).

If this was a video game out of a 100 khabib is a 99 grappling Tony is a 93 and Conor is a 78.

Defensively Conor can get to maybe 84 which still isn’t good enough.

It' average . Hasn' had to use it much but hasn't fought many guys that are good at getting it there . Nate has terrible takedowns . Alvarez as well, he brawls way too much . I'm sure when he' fresh its fine the problem is when he gets into these positions from experienced guys in a dogfight he probably won' have the instincts to survive .

Think most in this thread have covered it....hes actualy pretty good but that may not be enough for khabib
As for training camp hes got gunnar , dillion dannis comes over from time to time and his coach despite what haters feel is legit

Back