What Good Grapplers Could Use a Better Takedown Game?

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So, what fighters (that you like and/or dislike) that when you watch, you know they are capable of getting a tap/tko victory, but takedowns are below average?; or they just face someone who knows how to avoid being taken down.. like Whittaker.

My picks would be: Jacare (sometimes he has good takedowns against lesser opponents); Brian Ortega; I know he has some nice submission wins, but they have often been because the opponent has engaged and not Ortega; Ortega wouldn't have triangled Brandao had he not have shot in from the clinch, same sort of idea against Swanson and Cynthia Calvillo, she could have submitted Calderwood had she actually developed any type of shot.

Thoughts?

Luke Rockhold would clean out multiple divisions with a high level takedown game

Most high level BJJ guys. Some have worked on their TD's, with success...but I think a big key is to mix up the TD game. Look at Maia in his last two fights. Yes, your wrestling has improved, but objectively, not enough for Tyrun's/Cody's level. Imo, he should have mixed it up more, pull guard, use trip, use strike to create a clinch situation, etc...don't go all boxing mode, use kicks ffs (lots of kicks), who cares if you get taken down, that's what you want, especially if you have a killer guard.

Demian Maia's takedowns are poor IMO. I've said it before, his technique for his shot/takedown is good but the guy uses no set ups for it. He just shoots at any moment from arms distance. That may work on the Condit's and Diaz's with bad TDD. But it won't work on elite wrestlers like Woodley and Covington.

Luke Rockhold would clean out multiple divisions with a high level takedown game

This.

The dude has one of the most viscous ground games ever. Yet despite the fact he trains with a bunch of elite takedown artists, his takedowns are shockingly average.

Maia for sure needed more diversity in his takedown game. He had solid takedowns he was just awful at setting them up and they were always telegraphed. So maybe it shows how great of a grappler he was that he can be so predictable and still get most of his opponents to the ground.

This.

The dude has one of the most viscous ground games ever. Yet despite the fact he trains with a bunch of elite takedown artists, his takedowns are shockingly average.

Cant have it all... how many long tall skinny guys out there have a great double leg?

Demian Maia's takedowns are poor IMO. I've said it before, his technique for his shot/takedown is good but the guy uses no set ups for it. He just shoots at any moment from arms distance. That may work on the Condit's and Diaz's with bad TDD. But it won't work on elite wrestlers like Woodley and Covington.
came to say this, except you worded it better then I was going to

It isn't necessary for some of the fighters you mentioned to take down their opponent. They can easily go for a submission off their back or in the clinch, they probably prefer it that way. Ortega is the perfect example when you look at his last two fights.

This. Damian Maia would be a terrible mythical scary beast if he had a serious take-down game. He is already a boa constrictor and would be a tiger also if he had a take-down game.

Maia needed to implement bodylocks. I remember watching an old BJJ scout video and he shows how uncomfortable Woodley was when held in a bodylock by Shields.

Maia took down guys like Sonnen, Santiago, DHK, Story, Shields, Fitch, Laflare, Nelson, Mcdonald, Masdival, and Magny with bodylocks, singles, trips, and doubles but needs to work takedowns? Ok sherdog. Maybe he doesnt set them up the best but he gets guys to the mat. What happens after he gasses is a different story.

Anyone with high level BJJ or top control who isn't an elite wrestler. The problem is we only have so much time in this world, you can't become an elite BJJ player, and a D1 wrestler, and a good striker all in the prime of your fighting career, guys have to either focus on one thing or split their time between everything. That's why most fighters are either a jack of all trades, or specialized in one thing.

Maia took down guys like Sonnen, Santiago, DHK, Story, Shields, Fitch, Laflare, Nelson, Mcdonald, Masdival, and Magny with bodylocks, singles, trips, and doubles but needs to work takedowns? Ok sherdog. Maybe he doesnt set them up the best but he gets guys to the mat. What happens after he gasses is a different story.
Yes. I know he struggled with Woodley and Colby, but Maia has quite good takedowns for a BJJ guy.

The issue is mostly that he gasses hard an that leads to terrible shots from far with no setup. At that point those shots might not get Condit down much less Woodley.

Back