Fighters who quit at just time & fighters whose right time is now!?

Armitage Shanks

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
*EDIT: sorry about the typo in the title*

Just thinking of how Bisping should have quit after the second fight with Dan Henderson - he’s done everything, beating the GOAT, KO’d his nemesis Rockhold, won the MW belt, defended it and avenged his worse loss against Henderson. But, like so many others he didn’t know when to quit.

Are there any fighters who bowed out at the right time? I know it ended violently but I think Randy Couture bowed out fairly gracefully. Bas Rutten knee when to stop too.

For me Dom Cruz needs to call it a day instead of fighting these young hungry lions. Same with Cormier...Jones is the only fighter that makes sense. This Volkan fight does absolutely nothing for his legacy.

Any others?

giphy.gif

Just thinking of how Bisping should have quit after the second fight with Dan Henderson - he’s done everything, beating the GOAT, KO’d his nemesis Rockhold, won the MW belt, defended it and avenged his worse loss against Henderson. But, like so many others he didn’t know when to quit.

Are there any fighters who bowed out at the right time? I know it ended violently but I think Randy Couture bowed out fairly gracefully. Bas Rutten knee when to stop too.

For me Dom Cruz needs to call it a day instead of fighting these young hungry lions. Same with Cormier...Jones is the only fighter that makes sense. This Volkan fight does absolutely nothing for his legacy.

Any others?

This guy

<mma4>

GSP walked away at the perfect time. Took a big chance in coming back. He should retire permanently.

GSP walked away at the perfect time. Took a big chance in coming back. He should retire permanently.

Nah. Walking away after the Hendricks fight wasn't perfect timing at all, very controversial decision. Coming back to fight Bisping is a much better way to go out.

I was surprised when he came back. I always remember him saying how much he admired Lennox Lewis for going out on top, and that he wanted to do the same. Now I really think he should retire.

I was surprised when he came back. I always remember him saying how much he admired Lennox Lewis for going out on top, and that he wanted to do the same. Now I really think he should retire.

Elite athletes always want to test themselves. Some of the best walked away on top, but came back. It usually doesn’t go well for most of them.

But, if you look at the amount of time GSP stayed in the octagon at 217. He looked like a man taking it all in one last time. At least that’s what it looked like to me.

I love Randy, but I would have preferred if he'd never have come back after the contract dispute that kept him sidelined for over a year.

That Gonzaga performance was one of his best ever for me, only the Fedor fight made sense at the time

Any others?
Conor has done it all in the sport, won title fights in two weight classes, talked the talk and walked the walk, made Mayweather money and notoriety in the process, is a global brand and will make his money work for him, doesn’t need to work or fight as he’s set for life and isn’t even 30.

Okay I understand he hasn’t actually defended a title, like ever... but being the champ and having a target on your back and facing killers every fight is too stressful, cut the guy a break, he’s been under tremendous pressure with this Tony and Khabib nuisance fight BS

Chris Lytle won fotn and sotn in his last scrap then retired and stayed retired

Cruz at 32 is basically in his prime right now. Cormier still on top of the game.

Dom wants that title back and DC is probably waiting for the Jones trilogy.

Conor has done it all in the sport, won title fights in two weight classes, talked the talk and walked the walk, made Mayweather money and notoriety in the process, is a global brand and will make his money work for him, doesn’t need to work or fight as he’s set for life and isn’t even 30.

Okay I understand he hasn’t actually defended a title, like ever... but being the champ and having a target on your back and facing killers every fight is too stressful, cut the guy a break, he’s been under tremendous pressure with this Tony and Khabib nuisance fight BS

Yeah for me though the lack of a title defence is a huge mark against him. If you look at people considered GOATS : Fedor, Silva, GSP and Jones, they are there because they cultivated an aura of invisibility over many title defences. Conor’s last four fights are LWWL. And I don’t think the second Diaz fight was convincing at all. I still think Diaz wins 7/10 times. Big big mark against Conor in terms of legacy in the sport.

I don't look at fighting on when the odds are stacked against you as a bad thing for fighters. I think it is the best representation of a fighter, it shows their fighting spirit. Its hard to watch your favorite fighters lose sometimes sure, but you gotta respect the old lions who are willing to take on the young hungry lions.

Yeah for me though the lack of a title defence is a huge mark against him. If you look at people considered GOATS : Fedor, Silva, GSP and Jones, they are there because they cultivated an aura of invisibility over many title defences. Conor’s last four fights are LWWL. And I don’t think the second Diaz fight was convincing at all. I still think Diaz wins 7/10 times. Big big mark against Conor in terms of legacy in the sport.
I was trolling, but really I bought into Conor being the best 145 pounder on the planet, but think if he fights the top 5 LW’s goes he goes 2-2. The entire champ champ thing has been a terrible rouse that the 155 pound division can’t seem to shake out of... #defendorvacatemutherphucker

By the way, I disagree with the DC should retire thing.

He is still a top fighter and doesn't have much competition, if he beats Volkan. Only Gus, who had surgery.

Why not improve your legacy by defending a few times.

Also, Reem, Werdum, Hunt are still top fighters at HW.

Demian Maia should consider a retire.
Bisping
Vitor
Machida
Rashad
Even Cerrone if he continues this way

And Mir, Fedor, Chael, Rampage also after that tournament

Chris Lytle won fotn and sotn in his last scrap then retired and stayed retired
Bloody good choice, I was trying to think of someone who went out their own way guns blazing. Miss that guy

I thought Guida went out in an awesome way.

First of all, I don't really agree with you that these guys should quit. Bisping got a lot of money vs GSP, and probably also vs Kelvin, since he helped save the card. If he can still get high profile fights, and his health is fine, I think he should keep fighting. The same with Dom and Cormier.

What is their alternative after they quit fighting? If they don't have enough money saved up, it probably means taking a low pay job.

I agree with Cyborg that he should retire after the injury. Something like that is a good reason.

GSP had a great end to his career, and an even greater comeback.

Semmy had a perfect end to his career in MMA and even more so in Kickboxing.

Last edited:
Tito took one last fight which he lost against Forrest and retired gracefully. Turns out it was also Forrest's last fight and he embarrassed himself by interviewing Tito. Such cringe

Back