Coach explains why he let Paige VanZant fight with a broken arm

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/1/...let-paige-vanzant-fight-with-a-broken-arm-ufc

“Everything that happened in the second round led me to believe that it wasn’t a serious injury because the way she continued fighting, you couldn’t notice it. I went back to the corner and asked the other coaches if they thought it was really broken, and they couldn’t give me a concrete answer. I kept telling her to hit with the right hand, and when I saw that she wasn’t throwing punches, I knew it was more serious than I thought.

“It made sense later why she wasn’t defended the triangle attempt the way we trained. We even trained that defense earlier that day, but finding out about the fracture made sense after all.”

After noticing that VanZant wasn’t throwing right hands in the third, Scherner still decided against throwing in the towel.

“I let the fight play out because at any moment she… She wasn’t using her right hand, but I was looking at her face and she didn’t appear to be in pain or anything like that, so I thought it was serious but that she could continue,” he said. “I didn’t think about throwing in the towel. We spoke about it after the fight and I saw the X-ray, I apologized to her for making that call, and she said, ‘It was the right call because I wanted to go back and continue fighting. I would be disappointed if you had stopped the fight.’ I think it was the right call because she really wanted to go back.

She should really be looking into other ventures she's never going to be UFC Champion.

She did fine with one arm

She should really be looking into other ventures she's never going to be UFC Champion.
And neither will 99% of the other fighters. May as well shut it down....

If every fighter that would never be a champ just quit, there would be hardly any fighters

She mostly spams that jumping kick so it didn't really matter

She has an advantage over other fighters, she could easily make money doing other things. A lot of fighters don't have the avenues she does. I just see her fighting as a waste of time.

She has an advantage over other fighters, she could easily make money doing other things. A lot of fighters don't have the avenues she does. I just see her fighting as a waste of time.
She DOES make money doing other things. You're right, she doesn't have to fight. But apparently she enjoys it.

She could see success in other avenues and probably even make more money without risking her health. The majority of those others in that 99% probably couldn't find something else that could make them that much, if not more.

If every fighter that would never be a champ just quit, there would be hardly any fighters
Agreed Frankie but she is not any other fighter, she is a good photogenic woman playing around in a sport she is semi good at. I would advise her into the reality TV market and not fighting. Just my opinion.

Not everyone cares about being a champion.

Edit: I see many others pointed this out to you already

Im sure uve played sports before? Ur not an Olympian are you? U wouldn't have the UFC without ppl like these

If she falls on hard times, she can move in with me. My mother upstairs can cook for us, and I can furnish luxuries such as cheap wine and lifestyles condoms.

Agreed Frankie but she is not any other fighter, she is a good photogenic woman playing around in a sport she is semi good at. I would advise her into the reality TV market and not fighting. Just my opinion.

But she obviously enjoys it
After DWTS she turned down a movie role because she wanted to fight again

Fans (as a collective) want people who like fighting & she proved she is a tough fighter
If she was everything the haters wish she was, she would have quit Saturday

"I think it was the right call because she really wanted to go back."

Yeah, but every fighter pretty much wants to continue even when its not in their best interest. Thats why they have corner men they trust to look out for their safety.

Having said that, I really don't have a problem with them letting her continue. But his excuse as to why is kind of shit.

Mma culture is strange
"Like"

These coaches will get their fighters seriously hurt or killed. Even a lion will give up when the risk greatly outweighs the benefits. And lions are as alpha and savage as they come. LOL

"I think it was the right call because she really wanted to go back."

Yeah, but every fighter pretty much wants to continue even when its not in their best interest. Thats why they have corner men they trust to look out for their safety.

Having said that, I really don't have a problem with them letting her continue. But his excuse as to why is kind of shit.
It wasn't in the first round like she said either. It was the beginning of the second round so inbetween 2 and 3 was the only time coaches had a chance to know

She could see success in other avenues and probably even make more money without risking her health. The majority of those others in that 99% probably couldn't find something else that could make them that much, if not more.

Her thing is that she's a pretty fighter though. If we're talking pure looks you see girls like that all the time and then we're talking "A couple thousand instagram followers"-money.

She is getting a ton of exposure from being in the UFC. She doesn't strike me as dumb, she likely has a long term plan.

A good parallel is the Rock in the WWE. He used it to move on to an acting career. Paige is attractive enough and well spoken enough that doors will open. She could host shows like American Ninja for example.

I expect she will continue fighting right up until the right offer comes along. Nothing wrong with that, if she can make money doing something that doesn't generate broken limbs, more power to her.

2IhqqXB.jpg

What a shitty feeling it must be being in a fight with a broken arm

Back