Would Gegard Mousasi be set up to be MW champ if he stayed?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think he'd have gotten the shot instead of Rockhold getting it.

Even if he didn't, he'd have gotten the shot against Rockhold instead of Romero.

And I think he KOs Luke with his boxing. Whittaker is a tough fight though, style wise.

He would have had to beat Branch, then either Yoel or Rocksalt...and then maybe would have had a shot.

Knowing the UFC they would probably have given fuckin Weidman another title shot before Mousasi.

No. He left because the UFC had no path for him to get a title shot. The UFC was offering him comparable money to Bellator, but they had no plans for him to be anything but a lithmus test for other fighters to get title shots, while he is perpetually left in limbo.

You can't bet your life and legacy on the hope that "maybe a favored fighter will get injured, and I will get a short a notice title fight." LOL

This is all hindsight revisionist history.

He would have had to beat Branch, then either Yoel or Rocksalt...and then maybe would have had a shot.
Couldn't be more wrong, five fight win streak 4 by KO. Yes TS, I think had he not been low-balled by the UFC he should have been granted the title shot and yes would have the best chance of getting the title and defending. The UFC fucked up bad with Moose.

Moose was really close to a title shot before he left, that Weidman win was just a little too odd.

If he stayed though he'd either have already competed for the interim UFC title, or he'd be fighting for the real one this february.

Last edited:
Couldn't be more wrong, five fight win streak 4 by KO. Yes TS, I think had he not been low-balled by the UFC he should have been granted the title shot and yes would have the best chance of getting the title and defending. The UFC fucked up bad with Moose.
We're already factoring in the low balling and figuring when he'll get a title shot after the hypothetical wins over Romero or Rocksalt.

He can't beat all those guys and then be offered Cesar Mutante.

He could easily have been champ, I felt he left the UFC just as he was putting all the pieces of the puzzle to together, I understand why he left, but it's a total shame that he went just as he was entering his absolute prime imo.

Love Moose but he has a rough time with both Rockhold and Romero... souza also beats him again in my opinion. Funny thing only person I think he matches up well with is Whittaker.

There's no saying they would have give him any opportunities to get to the belt. They didn't before, after he had the most impressive MW resume.

I think he'd be champ easy at this point. The UFC fucked up with Moose.

Would beat Whittaker and Rockhold, wouldn’t beat Yoel.

Yeah, he definitely could’ve been

UFC gave Moose so many fights per year, I hope Bellator can keep him even nearly as active

Always felt UFC liked Moose and gave him excellent opportunities, he just walked away right as he got on a title run.

' Mousasi, never as it is right now. Iranian uber fighter does not fit within the UFC racist structure, unfortunately. He was design-let-go, so he cannot fulfill his destiny. Moos is the best fighter that will never be the UFC champ. Not allowed. Too bad, one of the legends to be, if not already. '
- Tze

Yeah, the guy that barely got by Shlemenko would be MW champ in the UFC. Good one TS.

There's no saying they would have give him any opportunities to get to the belt. They didn't before, after he had the most impressive MW resume.

I think he'd be champ easy at this point. The UFC fucked up with Moose.

I always saw it as opposite. That UFC threw opportunities at Moose.

They let him headline his first 4 fights, but unfortunately he went 2-2.

Still they pushed him, gave him big names like Hendo and Vitor. And even when he stumbled once again with Hall, they gave him a opportunity to avenge it in a headliner rematch.

UFC gave Moose 3-4 fights per year and always tried keeping him in the forefront. The Weidman bout was a perfect move to build a clear title challenger, but unfortunately reffing F'd that up. Then he left.

I always saw it as opposite. That UFC threw opportunities at Moose.

They let him headline his first 4 fights, but unfortunately he went 2-2.

Still they pushed him, gave him big names like Hendo and Vitor. And even when he stumbled once again with Hall, they gave him a opportunity to avenge it in a headliner rematch.

UFC gave Moose 3-4 fights per year and always tried keeping him in the forefront. The Weidman bout was a perfect move to build a clear title challenger, but unfortunately reffing F'd that up. Then he left.
Perfectly put. Win those first 4 and he's on course. He didnt tho and his fans were salty. He loses to the big 3 (rockhold, Romero, bobby knucks) most likely. Have fun watching him fight but hugely overhyped by his fanboys. Top 5, not champ material tho

Perfectly put. Win those first 4 and he's on course. He didnt tho and his fans were salty. He loses to the big 3 (rockhold, Romero, bobby knucks) most likely. Have fun watching him fight but hugely overhyped by his fanboys. Top 5, not champ material tho
Not even those first 4, just beat Machida as that was an unofficial title eliminator of sorts. If not he would have been 1 fight away.

Not even those first 4, just beat Machida and he possibly would have got a title shot. That was an unofficial title eliminator of sorts. If not he would have been 1 fight away.
His fans will come tell us how machida cheated here shortly. And about the hall fluke too, or how they gave him constant bad match ups to keep him out of the title picture b/c he is from middle East lol. All ya have to do is win impressively to get your chance (or be irish and have a schtick like some buffoon) but he couldn't do it

Back