How did Conor affect Nates Legacy?

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
Without Conor, I see Nate as fringe top 10 LW, top 5 back in his day (when he fought Cerrone and Bendo). He is action prone and tough, but useless against the real elite guys who can mix it up.

Conor boosted his legacy immensely imo. Now people actually act like he’s elite.

If Conor never fought Nate, how do you describe Nate’s career?

I honestly didn't like Nate until he beat Conor.

idk bro styles make fights, i doubt nate could do well against top 5 lws and i still view him as top 10 lw

Conor turned him into a 300 pound man and the most elite fighter in combat sports (besides Conor of course).

He made a bunch of casuals think he's a better fighter than he is by beating Conor.

Ooo there's that buzzword thats so popular: Legacy.

What's so important about a legacy? I never knew. Its such a vague thing to say because it seems like it means something different to everyone else.

Are they important, and how does one fighter affect someone else's? Why are they so important when only someone else can affect your legacy? I need answers before I play into this legacy game the heavies created.

• Love or hate Conor he definitely helped highlight Nate's name in the history books. Depending on how their 3rd fight goes (and if it happens) I can see it being remembered kind of like MMA's version of Gatti vs Ward.

Nate would be getting his ass whooped on Fight Pass by guys like James Vick and Michael Chiesa if it wasn't for Conor.

Nate is only elite when he gets a size and style match up that's favorable. Put him there vs leg kickers or wrestlers and he's going to eat shit like he has in the past.

Conor who, oh him, most people have done forgot about him and moved on.

on the same level I put Nate Marquardt except at LW instead of MW. Good fighter who got a chance and couldn't win gold but beat up a lot of people over his career.

Well he beat Michael Johnson in his last fight before McGregor and nobody gave a shit. When Justin Gaethje beat Johnson, people hailed Gaethje as a champ in waiting.

I think people will just always associate Diaz with McGregor now, like they do with all of McGregor's previous opponents. Holloway is the only one who really got out from under McGregor's Shadow and that took an 11 fight win streak and a championship.

Back