Who has the better kicks?

Frankie Baby!

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Prime Showtime Pettis, or Edson Barboza?

Both have legendary kicks, Pettis with the Showtime Kick, and Edson with his spinning, and leg kicks.

3. Pat Barry
2. Jose Aldo
1. Edson Barboza

Justin Gaethje is an honorable mention

Edson Barboza has the most effective kicks, Pettis probably can throw the most flashy ones, that goes to highlights etc
And if we include low kicks aswell, then it's not really competitive. Does any other fighter have 2 legs kicks TKOs in the last 10 years of UFC? I can't remember of one right now.

Last edited:
Seeing as how Barboza outkicked Pettis in their fight and won, I would have to pick Barboza.

barboza comes from a muay thai background while pettis is taekwondo with some kickboxing.
pettis definitely has flashier kicks but i'd give barboza the edge.

Barboza comes from a TKD background as well.

really...didn't know that. from everything i've heard and what i've read about him, he's a muay thai guy mainly.

from ufc.com -
"I usually train twice a day. Each day is different. I do strength and conditioning, boxing, Muay Thai, sparring, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, wrestling…"

from wiki -

Rank
Black belt in Taekwondo[7]

Black prajied in Muay Thai[7]under Anderson França[1]
Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsuunder Ricardo Almeida[8]

Muay Thai[edit]
  • GP Demolition Fight Champion (São Paulo: 3 fights, 3 victories, 2 coming by KO)
  • Three-time State Champion (Rio de Janeiro)
  • Brazilian Champion
  • Brazilian Circuit Champion
  • Campos Open Champion
  • Torneio Castelo das Pedras Champion (Rio de Janeiro)
  • Two-time Copa Ciam Champion (Rio de Janeiro)
  • Niteroense Champion
  • Cabo Fight Champion (Cabo Frio)
  • Conquista Fight Champion (Bahia)
  • Two-time Demolition Fight Champion (São Paulo)
  • Copa Thai Boxing de Muay Thai Champion (Niterói)
  • Festival de Muay Thai Champion (Rio de Janeiro)
  • Runner-up in GP La Gara (São Paulo: 4 fights, 3 victories, 2 coming by KO)
  • Mountain Champion: first-round KO

from edsonbarboza.com -
"Edson excelled in his training and won his first fight while still only eight. Within a few years, he had already started to collect trophies and titles in Muay Thai competitions. He had his first professional fight at the age of 16, and by 19, he was determined to be the best Muay Thai fighter in Brazil in the weight class up to 70kgs."

pettis is a 3rd degree black belt in tkd, having started training at 5 and he and sergio have their own tkd academy. well, you learn something every day.

really...didn't know that. from everything i've heard and what i've read about him, he's a muay thai guy mainly.

from ufc.com -
"I usually train twice a day. Each day is different. I do strength and conditioning, boxing, Muay Thai, sparring, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, wrestling…"

from wiki -

Rank
Black belt in Taekwondo[7]

Black prajied in Muay Thai[7]under Anderson França[1]
Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsuunder Ricardo Almeida[8]

Muay Thai[edit]
  • GP Demolition Fight Champion (São Paulo: 3 fights, 3 victories, 2 coming by KO)
  • Three-time State Champion (Rio de Janeiro)
  • Brazilian Champion
  • Brazilian Circuit Champion
  • Campos Open Champion
  • Torneio Castelo das Pedras Champion (Rio de Janeiro)
  • Two-time Copa Ciam Champion (Rio de Janeiro)
  • Niteroense Champion
  • Cabo Fight Champion (Cabo Frio)
  • Conquista Fight Champion (Bahia)
  • Two-time Demolition Fight Champion (São Paulo)
  • Copa Thai Boxing de Muay Thai Champion (Niterói)
  • Festival de Muay Thai Champion (Rio de Janeiro)
  • Runner-up in GP La Gara (São Paulo: 4 fights, 3 victories, 2 coming by KO)
  • Mountain Champion: first-round KO

from edsonbarboza.com -
"Edson excelled in his training and won his first fight while still only eight. Within a few years, he had already started to collect trophies and titles in Muay Thai competitions. He had his first professional fight at the age of 16, and by 19, he was determined to be the best Muay Thai fighter in Brazil in the weight class up to 70kgs."

pettis is a 3rd degree black belt in tkd, having started training at 5 and he and sergio have their own tkd academy. well, you learn something every day.

Very evident when watching him too, it's a technical blend of brilliance when you see how he incorporates both styles. It's what sets him far above everyone else in the kicking game, imo.

Very evident when watching him too, it's a technical blend of brilliance when you see how he incorporates both styles. It's what sets him far above everyone else in the kicking game, imo.

for sure, i was just under the impression that his base was muay thai and then he added TKD afterwards. whereas pettis was TKD first and then he added other styles to his arsenal.

for sure, i was just under the impression that his base was muay thai and then he added TKD afterwards. whereas pettis was TKD first and then he added other styles to his arsenal.

I mean that's probably true, but if he's proficient in both and he is, I would call both of them his base for MMA.

Back