Fighter of the year: Holloway or Whittaker?

TobikanJudan94

Never be game over
@Brown
Reaction score
2017 is almost over and no one from 219 would win this award. So it's a toe 2 toe between Max and Robert.

Holloway's wins against Aldo were devastating. Simple as that. We could argue that he lost the first 2 rounds against Jose and the first 2 rounds of the rematch were also competitive,but that's it.

Whittaker had phenomenal performances against Jacare and Romero. TKOing Souza after resisting basically all of his takedowns was shocking. We all thought it was a fluke. Then he proceeds to beat Romero on one leg. My Gawd.

I'd give Whittaker the award since Holloway beat the same opponent twice and was a big enough favorite in the rematch,while Robert was the underdog in both fights. What about you guys?

holloway. beat probably a legend in jose aldo. TWICE.

blessed.

Easily Whittaker, he beat a game Romero and finished Jacare after he had his back at one point.

Holloway beat an over the hill Aldo twice and as you said he lost the first 2 rounds and ate a lot of shots he shouldn't have.

Whittaker's wins/performances were much more impressive and he looks a lot more unstoppable than Holloway.

Was it last year, or this year that rda lost to eddie?

2017 is almost over and no one from 219 would win this award. So it's a toe 2 toe between Max and Robert.

Holloway's wins against Aldo were devastating. Simple as that. We could argue that he lost the first 2 rounds against Jose and the first 2 rounds of the rematch were also competitive,but that's it.

Whittaker had phenomenal performances against Jacare and Romero. TKOing Souza after resisting basically all of his takedowns was shocking. We all thought it was a fluke. Then he proceeds to beat Romero on one leg. My Gawd.

I'd give Whittaker the award since Holloway beat the same opponent twice and was a big enough favorite in the rematch,while Robert was the underdog in both fights. What about you guys?
Holloway

Let's just call it a draw?If I had to pick I guess Whittaker due to his wins being more surprising.And lol at people using the Aldo was over the hill excuse when he dominated Frankie Edgar before the first Holloway fight.

Whittaker - Romero (DEC), Souza (TKO/KO)
Holloway- Aldo twice (TKO/KO)
N'Gannou- Overeem (KO), Arlvoski (TKO/KO)
Oezdimar- Manuwa (KO), Cirkonov (KO), OSP (DEC)

Was it last year, or this year that rda lost to eddie?

last year,same with the Ferg fight...so yeah he's in the discussion having won 1 more fight then max and robert and over ranked guys.

Whittaker - Romero (DEC), Souza (TKO/KO)
Holloway- Aldo twice (TKO/KO)
N'Gannou- Overeem (KO), Arlvoski (TKO/KO)
Oezdimar- Manuwa (KO), Cirkonov (KO), OSP (DEC)

Volkan is the dark horse,he's easily the best non-champion fighter of 2017. Good catch.

Holloway beat an over the hill Aldo twice and as you said he lost the first 2 rounds and ate a lot of shots he shouldn't have.

LOL, Aldo is 31.

I love Bobby Knuckles but Holloway is on a 12 fight streak, capping his title run with not just a win over Aldo but a win over Aldo in Brazil.

Let's just call it a draw?If I had to pick I guess Whittaker due to his wins being more surprising.And lol at people using the Aldo was over the hill excuse when he dominated Frankie Edgar before the first Holloway fight.

Aldo is 31 years old, its ridiculous for fans to claim he's "over the hill", absolutely absurd.

Aldo is 31 years old, its ridiculous for fans to claim he's "over the hill", absolutely absurd.
Aldo is 31 but has been in the fight game forever and been in a lot of battles. Plus the lighter the weight the earlier guys tend to drop off with HWs being able to hang on the longest. Speed is the first thing to go. I'd say Aldo is definitely not the same guy he once was. Not to say he isn't still a great fighter.

But to answer the topic its Whittaker for me.

I don't think its unreasonable to state he has slowed down though. He's 31, but with some mileage on him.

Aldo is 31 but has been in the fight game forever and been in a lot of battles. Plus the lighter the weight the earlier guys tend to drop off with HWs being able to hang on the longest. Speed is the first thing to go. I'd say Aldo is definitely not the same guy he once was. Not to say he isn't still a great fighter.

But to answer the topic its Whittaker for me.

I understand there is mileage involved but Aldo is young, very young. At 31 your body still performs at peak unless you have been run over by a dump truck. People started saying Shogun was over the hill when he was 29 lol. That one is a little different because of knee injuries but still, unacceptable to label Shogun over the hill when he was in his 20's. GSP had 3 knee injuries and came out of retirement at 36 and won. In most sports its assumed that an athlete doesn't even hit his prime until 30 years old.

Back