Should you be eligible for a bonus if you miss weight?

jmmj

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
More guys miss weight in MMA than boxing, so you get more used to it, but in boxing, your rep is ruined if you miss weight, particularly if it's a wide miss.

What do people think?

Or is this already a rule and I just missed it?

2.5 at 145 is a wide ass miss.

Its already a rule. They only gave one of the guys FOTN just a few cards ago because one missed.

He won't get one, he got himself $50K and that percentage of his purse for missing weight.

Ha. It's already a rule. Home with a stomach bug and couldn't remember. That makes sense.

Short notice and no history of missing weight so I'd give him a pass.

More guys miss weight in MMA than boxing, so you get more used to it, but in boxing, your rep is ruined if you miss weight, particularly if it's a wide miss.

What do people think?

Or is this already a rule and I just missed it?

2.5 at 145 is a wide ass miss.

Actually there are a ton of guys in boxing that miss weight, however statistically the main event boxers almost never miss weight. They have more money, more advanced training camps etc. Plus there are a lot more weight classes in boxing, easier to fit into a weight class you can comfortably cut to. Hell Mayweather won belts in 5 different weight classes.

Lots of guys competing in MMA that still hold down full time jobs just in order to pay the bills.

Absolutely not. Nor should immediate rematches exist.

You don't get a bonus if you miss weight.

Look at John Lineker, he's been in several fights that could have gotten Performance or Fight of the Nights but didn't get them for missing weight.

I do think Emmett deserves the benefit of the doubt though, he took the fight on short notice.

No but it was a short notice fight for Emmett so give him a break.

Actually there are a ton of guys in boxing that miss weight, however statistically the main event boxers almost never miss weight. They have more money, more advanced training camps etc. Plus there are a lot more weight classes in boxing, easier to fit into a weight class you can comfortably cut to. Hell Mayweather won belts in 5 different weight classes.

Lots of guys competing in MMA that still hold down full time jobs just in order to pay the bills.

Are you sure that isn't a more recent thing? Back in the day, when I used to follow a lot of up and comers, I don't remember guys missing pretty much ever.

It is true that there are levels to it - if you have a decent reason, if you don't have a professional camp vs. you just didn't even try. If you have all the things in place and you miss it's more disrespectful. I just remember how badly we all turned on Castillo when he missed weight by like 3.5 pounds.

Forget the bonus, you shouldn't be eligible to win!

Cutting that last 2.5 pounds makes a serious and significant change to the conditioning of the fighter coming into the fight..

It becomes a strategic benefit not to fully drain yourselves and get sick cutting that last 2-3 pounds so that you can come in and gun for your win bonus.

Take away win bonus, POTN bonus, and if fighter misses weight: if he loses its an L, if he wins its a draw, or NC

No.

Absolutely not.

What's the point of penalizing a fighter financially and then giving him a bonus?

#derp

Are you sure that isn't a more recent thing? Back in the day, when I used to follow a lot of up and comers, I don't remember guys missing pretty much ever.

It is true that there are levels to it - if you have a decent reason, if you don't have a professional camp vs. you just didn't even try. If you have all the things in place and you miss it's more disrespectful. I just remember how badly we all turned on Castillo when he missed weight by like 3.5 pounds.

I'll dig up stats for you but there is a fair bit of it at the lower levels. Just no one really cares about the non main event stuff (meaning the fights that aren't televised).

And as I said, boxing benefits from many more weight classes. Boxing has 17...... weight classes. MMA under the unified rules has only 8. Weight cutting is much easier when you can align yourself to a a weight class that fits your frame.

Forget the bonus, you shouldn't be eligible to win!

Cutting that last 2.5 pounds makes a serious and significant change to the conditioning of the fighter coming into the fight..

It becomes a strategic benefit not to fully drain yourselves and get sick cutting that last 2-3 pounds so that you can come in and gun for your win bonus.

Take away win bonus, POTN bonus, and if fighter misses weight: if he loses its an L, if he wins its a draw, or NC

Yes, the case you make is exactly what we all used to get up in arms about on maxboxing back in the day.

Nope. Why take a fight on Short Notice if you can't make weight. No FOTN bonus

Back