Why Don't Fighters GnP The Rib Cage?

Franc Mittelo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't care how hard you train, you can't really strength the rib cage. Especially the lower ribs.

I see fighters inside the opponent's full guard, just aiming for the head. Why don't they smash the rib cage, especially on the left side (where the heart is located). Nobody will like that. LOL

I don't care how hard you train, you can't really strength the rib cage. Especially the lower ribs.

I see fighters inside the opponent's full guard, just aiming for the head. Why don't they smash the rib cage, especially on the left side (where the heart is located). Nobody will like that. LOL
Some did... IIRC SAKU GOAT, Bas...

Rampage destroyed Chucks rib cage in their pride fight. It was hard to watch at the time being a big fan of Chuck.

qssgsm_th.jpg

How awesome would it be to hear Michael Buffer say....

"Winner by TKO due to a liver punch inside the guard......."

More fighters need to start doing it. When you are in your opponent's guard, the rib cage is readily accessible, and you are not wasting as much energy, while potentially doing more damage.

As a nurse, I have broken ribs doing CPR. I can only imagine how much more damage a fighter, who is trying to hurt his opponent, will do, if he attacked the rib cage instead of the face, which will mostly get blocked and requires more energy.

Firstly, Punching someone in the "heart" or the chest, won't do anything at least from what I've seen. But you can certainly strengthen your obliques, which will help protect your ribs.

I'm assuming it has something to do with not being able to generate effective power from the position, like those pitter patter punches fighters sometimes throw on the ground when they barely have any range of motion.

That is what I am talking about. Just smash the ribs. Don't waste time and energy with the head.

Nobody can really condition that part of the body. It is very vulnerable, and did not evolve to absorb repeated blows to the area.

Body shots in general are underutilised in MMA, and not just in guard.

Blame there coaches and there's body body head nonsense. .mark MunOz did some damage body wise with gnp. .Tito too..

I train body shots from all positions. .nothing makes a guy quit like body shots

You must not watch many fights because fighters have been pounding the rib cage on the ground since UFC started..Check out the old UFC Don Frye fight.That poor guy was probably fucked up pretty bad after that pounding Frye put on his ribs..

It works sometimes but most of the time when you posture up to strike the body, you leave space for your opponent to get up. That’s the whole purpose of driving your head into your opponent’s chin, control.

That is what I am talking about. Just smash the ribs. Don't waste time and energy with the head.

Nobody can really condition that part of the body. It is very vulnerable, and did not evolve to absorb repeated blows to the area.
They are fairly easy to defend against actually. Chuck was in a really bad position but a high guard with hooks or even hipping and catching is effective.

In order to leverage a proper strike on the rib cage from guard you need to posture way up; giving any experienced grappler time to defend properly and an easy path back to his feet. Which is why most fighters would rather stay in guard, rack up points for control, and use the few times they do posture up to land a big blow to the head, which have a good chance of concussing, knocking out, or at least severely stunning their opponent allowing them to transition to better position. Much smarter than punching someones stomach and hoping their ribs crack; that's like asking why fighters don't kick peoples fingers or toes more because they're more prone to breakage.

And you CAN strengthen your rib cage by developing your core/obliques and bracing for impact like any other body shot; you CAN'T strengthen your chin whatsoever. All you can do is give your brain a bit of extra support by doing some neck exercises; you CAN'T thicken your skull or brain so it's tougher to concuss or anything remotely similar.

They are fairly easy to defend against actually. Chuck was in a really bad position but a high guard with hooks or even hipping and catching is effective.
Thanks for the input. But when a fighter is not using the defenses you mentioned, fighters still prefer to waste a lot of energy ineffective strikes to the head, instead of exploiting a readily available vulnerable target. It is annoying. LOL

Thanks for the input. But when a fighter is not using the defenses you mentioned, fighters still prefer to waste a lot of energy ineffective strikes to the head, instead of exploiting a readily available vulnerable target. It is annoying. LOL
Yeah there are times I would think a nice hook to the liver or elbow to the sternum would be more effective. People head hunt heavily but you can put people away with body shots too.

Back