Is Chael Sonnen a good wrestler?

CBohl

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What are the Bad Guy's wrestling credentials? Something crazy like Johnny Hendricks?I think he was one of the best wrestlers in college history.

Hold on, let me Google that for you.

He's never wrapped his legs around another man. The other scenario I'm not sure of.

hqdefault.jpg

They're better than mine, and definitely yours, and even that guy's, but not him! He can wrestle real good!

I think he was an Olympic alternate

He's from the mean streets of West Linn, Oregon so he knows a thing or two about fighting.

Chael knows wrestling, steroids and real estate fraud.

Outwrestled a prime Marquardt and Okami. He was really good.

honestly chael isnt good at anything.

but he is still successful so he is a motivational story for some people.

I think he was an Olympic alternate

This is a myth that will not die, but I can assure he was not.

Sonnen was a good, but not great collegiate wrestler. Out of four yeas of eligibility, he made it to the NCAA tournament once, and made it to All American status with an 8th place finish - that is, the lowest spot of which you can be bestowed an All American.

Being a Division I wrestler makes you good, and getting to the NCAA tournament even once is also impressive, but the UFC is populated with highly credentialed wrestlers. Among his peers he isn't anything special in that regard.

In his prime though considering the field of opponents he was in, he was one of the better MMA adapted wrestlers. That is also predicated on good timing, because I don't think there is any version of Sonnen that beats any version of guys like Weidman and Romero.

of course he's a good wrestler, have you ever seen him fight?

Does it matter? A wrestling pedigree doesn’t mean much in MMA. What was GSP’s wrestling background?

Conversely guys like Woodley, Hendricks and Gaethje who were great wrestlers don’t use it all that much.

MMA wrestling is not the same as straight amateur wrestling

This is a myth that will not die, but I can assure he was not.

Sonnen was a good, but not great collegiate wrestler. Out of four yeas of eligibility, he made it to the NCAA tournament once, and made it to All American status with an 8th place finish - that is, the lowest spot of which you can be bestowed an All American.

Being a Division I wrestler makes you good, and getting to the NCAA tournament even once is also impressive, but the UFC is populated with highly credentialed wrestlers. Among his peers he isn't anything special in that regard.

In his prime though considering the field of opponents he was in, he was one of the better MMA adapted wrestlers. That is also predicated on good timing, because I don't think there is any version of Sonnen that beats any version of guys like Weidman and Romero.
<mma4>finally

If you are wanting to know his credentials...
Finished 4th in the 2000 Olympic trial that he competed in. Alternates are the 2nd place guys.
NCAA 1998 Wrestling Championships he was 8th place for his weight class 190lb.
Those are his highest credentials for the amateur circuit as far as I know.

Back