GREAT CARDIO.. is it as much mental as it is physical ??

rb3b3

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The longest i ever ran was 5 miles at roughly 8:30/mile... My question to you guys who can fight for 25-30 min straight.. i was just wondering how a guy like clay guida can go for what seems to be an hour straight has sooo much better cardio than a guy like conor who seems to be gassed after 12 mins even tho he was able to go the distance with nate.

What builds unbelievable FIGHTING cardio? i know its easier to run for 30 mins than it is to fight for 30 mins.

is it more mental than physical? Does it take years for boxers and mma pros to build up to 12 rnd fights and 25 min mma fights respectively?

i don't know. i'm not a super-cardio kind of person, but i do often bicycle eighty miles on the weekends. i do about forty miles in three hours. i think for the pros whose field requires a lot of cardio, you hit that, "runner's high", where the exhaustion subsides, and you're in a zone where it doesn't affect you. i guess you become mentally used to being tired. anyway, my own thoughts on it.

i don't know. i'm not a super-cardio kind of person, but i do often bicycle eighty miles on the weekends. i do about forty miles in three hours. i think for the pros whose field requires a lot of cardio, you hit that, "runner's high", where the exhaustion subsides, and you're in a zone where it doesn't affect you. i guess you become mentally used to being tired. anyway, my own thoughts on it.

WOW i wish i could experience the runners high lol,, im breathing heavy after a 1/2 mile and literally have to will myself to get to 5 miles haha

“Ninety percent of the game is half mental.” Kenny Florian

WOW i wish i could experience the runners high lol,, im breathing heavy after a 1/2 mile and literally have to will myself to get to 5 miles haha
Put down those burgers, or just take a puff before u start

Muscle memory of throwing a million damn punches in preparation to throwing for 25 minutes helps with fatigue as well.

Confidence of a fight going your way, or gameplan working out well helps as well.

Can't help but feel this thread is a slight dig at Conor...

Muscle memory of throwing a million damn punches in preparation to throwing for 25 minutes helps with fatigue as well.

Confidence of a fight going your way, or gameplan working out well helps as well.

yeah, getting into a routine will train both your mind and body to acclimate. i know if i don't lift weights for a few weeks, and then try my normal routine, i am breathing super-heavy half-way through it.

Can't help but feel this thread is a slight dig at Conor...

im not throwing digs at conor but its a fact.. there are many other guys that gas quick whereas there are guys who can go all day.. just wondering how they get to that point?

Keep running and you will. At first, random 1/4 or 1/2 mile stretches in the middle will seem to fly by. Pretty soon you might run a whole mile in between without thinking much of it.

As for your question, it's both. You have to reach a certain level of physical fitness for sure, but a mental toughness and push is required at a certain point.

Seriously, I have ran 10k's many times. 6.2 miles. It usually took me between 45 and 50 minutes depending on the terrain. Real hard grappling will wore me down a lot quicker. In a long run you can pace. In a fight or even hard sparring you have to keep up with a pace or get destroyed. So I found grappling and sparring to exhaust me fast much faster than the long runs when I was paired with some one decent. However, without the running you probably will not be as likely to have as good as cardio as if you didnt run. Plus distance runners get second winds, thirds and so on.

im not throwing digs at conor but its a fact.. there are many other guys that gas quick whereas there are guys who can go all day.. just wondering how they get to that point?
EPO

/thread

yeah, getting into a routine will train both your mind and body to acclimate. i know if i don't lift weights for a few weeks, and then try my normal routine, i am breathing super-heavy half-way through it.

im just using conor and clay as examples, but im sure they both have their routines and muscle memory. so that cant be the difference of superior cardio to bad cardio

Some percentage is physical and some percentage is mental. Its just a question of how much. Id say the physical conditioning is more important though. It doesnt matter how mentally tough you are, if you dont have the conditioning then you arent getting the times whereas if youre lacking mental strength but are physically conditioned maybe you wont make the time but youre going to get a lot closer. You need both but the physical conditioning is going to make up for the greatest portion of the success. The mental portion is just icing on the cake to carry you through the end and push through the hard spots. Probably a 60-40 or 70-30 split or so. Its not an easy thing to account for or calculate but the mind is very important, as well as the body.

The average Sherbro gives up on a candy bar wrapper after like 30 seconds. Not the cats you ask about experience with 25 minute fights.

It's genetics, physique, training, adrenaline management (experience), etc etc. No quick answers or universal answers.

But doing road work is a good start.

This is probably controversial and just based on my experience. I barely do any exercise and I'm a smoker so when I go play b-ball with my friends I'm panting after 20 minutes. But if I slow down, take it easy, let my hear-rate go down, at some point my body adjusts and after that I can keep going at high intensity for as long as I want, pretty much.

I really think just pushing yourself isn't the way to go. If I try to push myself when I hit that first wall, I keep feeling awful.

Some percentage is physical and some percentage is mental. Its just a question of how much. Id say the physical conditioning is more important though. It doesnt matter how mentally tough you are, if you dont have the conditioning then you arent getting the times whereas if youre lacking mental strength but are physically conditioned maybe you wont make the time but youre going to get a lot closer. You need both but the physical conditioning is going to make up for the greatest portion of the success. The mental portion is just icing on the cake to carry you through the end and push through the hard spots. Probably a 60-40 or 70-30 split or so. Its not an easy thing to account for or calculate but the mind is very important, as well as the body.

See i would think its much more mental than physical or else how do u even get conditioned in the first place?

Back