Independent review: Tim Hague dead in part because Edmonton AC didn't follow own policies

bad link

Fixed Link

Independent Review: Edmonton Didn't Follow Its Own Policies Before Boxer Tim Hague Died In The Ring

Patrick Redford

Yesterday 8:51pm

bzht7a2jjghzefh4npz2.jpg

Photo: Eric Jamison/AP

Ex-UFC heavyweight Tim Hague died this summer two days after getting knocked out by Adam Braidwood in a boxing match. Hague, who was 34 at the time of his death, had been working as a teacher and was supposedly retired from boxing when he took the fight against WBU heavyweight champion Braidwood on a few weeks notice. Given Hague’s poor boxing record and lack of preparation, it was a shock to see him even step in the ring against Braidwood.

This is why they suspended their operations for a year to get their house in order.
I believe a lot of fans were butthurt over it, acting like they banned it for life and people were still going to fight but underground. Which is unlikely. Why hold an illegal underground event with barely any people when you can still do a show in the next city or province. I think its a great idea Edmonton decides to suspend operations for a year while they try to fix things up in their procedure/bureaucracy.

This is why they suspended their operations for a year to get their house in order.
I believe a lot of fans were butthurt over it, acting like they banned it for life and people were still going to fight but underground. Which is unlikely. Why hold an illegal underground event with barely any people when you can still do a show in the next city or province. I think its a great idea Edmonton decides to suspend operations for a year while they try to fix things up in their procedure/bureaucracy.
<mma4>

https://deadspin.com/independent-review-edmonton-didnt-follow-its-own-polic-1821312817

that's too bad. one person died and now they are shutting down all competition for a year affecting other athletes. but better now that they address it instead of letting it fester.

Its affecting absolutely no one unless they're on some sort of house arrest where they can't even step outside their city. Edmonton's only one city, not even the biggest city in its own province.

Its affecting absolutely no one unless they're on some sort of house arrest where they can't even step outside their city. Edmonton's only one city, not even the biggest city in its own province.

i meant in terms for those wanting to compete in their home province in front of their friends & family.

i meant in terms for those wanting to compete in their home province in front of their friends & family.

There's other cities in that same province. People can drive; unless someone's mad their backyard fight promotion just got cancelled. In which case, that's exactly what they needed right now.

I hate that this happened due to the group that is supposed to regulate and protect did not follow their own rules.

But...If this would have happened and he didn't have the "Ex UFC Fighter" attached to his name, do you think it have gotten as much coverage? I almost feel that this happens more often than we know at the lower level of all combat sports promotions.

There's other cities in that same province.

i know but a bit of a nuisance (at least in the interim) to have to add travel. minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things i guess.

https://deadspin.com/independent-review-edmonton-didnt-follow-its-own-polic-1821312817

that's too bad. one person died and now they are shutting down all competition for a year affecting other athletes. but better now that they address it instead of letting it fester.
Agree that this is not the fix. It's a lazy and very temporary solution. They need to fix their fucking commission so that it's safe to fight in Edmonton, and Pat Reid needs to burn on stake (figuratively, I guess.)

Fucking this.

Anybody who is interested in this story and the long history of corruption in Edmonton needs to be following Mike Russell on Twitter. He is the definitive authority on this topic. It's possible a lot of this would have slid under the rug were it not for his efforts.

https://twitter.com/MIKERUSSELLMMA

He's also got a website.

Thanks for sharing. I never knew the extent the AC played in Hague's death.

Anybody who is interested in this story and the long history of corruption in Edmonton needs to be following Mike Russell on Twitter. He is the definitive authority on this topic. It's possible a lot of this would have slid under the rug were it not for his efforts.

https://twitter.com/MIKERUSSELLMMA

He's also got a website.

Does anyone know if Mike Russell posts on Sherdog? I want to read his article on Pat Reid’s culpability in Hague’s death but the page where Russell wrote his expose is no longer working.

Does anyone know if Mike Russell posts on Sherdog? I want to read his article on Pat Reid’s culpability in Hague’s death but the page where Russell wrote his expose is no longer working.
I believe he's just rebuilding his website. He just recently mentioned he re-upped on the domain, so it'll be available at least another year. Guessing the site will be live again soon. I don't think he posts on Sherdog, but he's very active on Twitter. I'd give him a DM there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back