Why do MMA fans care SO MUCH about PPV buyrates and TV ratings?

TrumanBurbank

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
NBA fans rarely talk about ratings. Same with soccer, formula 1, NASCAR, baseball fans etc. etc.

Who gives a shit about how much profit the billionaires at the top are making. What matters is the quality of the fights. Don't be like Brendan Schaub who cares only about "who is a draw". Enjoy the amazing fights that happen and remember that's why we watch.

Because it shows us the direction the UFC and other MMA organizations are going in and what the future may look like.

You can answer questions about matchmaking... & why the UFC does what it does. Things make more sense when you understand the motivation behind the decisions.

People who are interested in numbers also have the ability to enjoy fights for what they are. It's not a one or the other type of thing.

Because this is a small, growing sport. I'm not just interested in the fights, but also watching the sport evolve. It's very interesting to follow the sport's evolution, and ratings is a big part of that.

https://mma-today.com/going-ufc-tv-deal-negotiations-fans-concerned

DR: Thank you for taking the time to provide us with all these informative answers. How important do you think it is for an MMA fan to follow business metrics?

FNYC: You are welcome. If a fan only wants to watch a UFC fight, then it is not important. If a fan wants to discuss why a fight was made and why is it on TV or PPV, etc., I think knowledge of the business reason behind it is imperative to the discussion. Combat sports are unique in the sense that they are truly “prize fighting”. So understanding why certain prizes are offered at certain times to certain fighters on certain platforms is key to understanding why decisions are made. But if you don’t participate in those discussions, just enjoy the sport.

Because they care about the sport being successful and profitable? It's not that hard to comprehend.

Usually, more buys equals more money equals more money to be had equals a better environment to produce great fights.

I want everyone involved in MMA to be successful so I have the best chance of watching some great fights in the future. Can't do that if the machine is struggling.

Because it shows us the direction the UFC and other MMA organizations are going in and what the future may look like.

You can answer questions about matchmaking... & why the UFC does what it does. Things make more sense when you understand the motivation behind the decisions.

People who are interested in numbers also have the ability to enjoy fights for what they are. It's not a one or the other type of thing.

Because this is a small, growing sport. I'm not just interested in the fights, but also watching the sport evolve. It's very interesting to follow the sport's evolution, and ratings is a big part of that.

Because they care about the sport being successful and profitable? It's not that hard to comprehend.

Usually, more buys equals more money equals more money to be had equals a better environment to produce great fights.

I want everyone involved in MMA to be successful so I have the best chance of watching some great fights in the future. Can't do that if the machine is struggling.

Good to see most get it these days!
Not that TS asked a bad question, but SD stepped up with responses that were not trolling
Good stuff

Of course the thread will change soon enough, but ... ;)

I wouldn't classify mma as a small sport...Far from it...It's bigger than boxing...so that makes it pretty dam big.

Because we, the hardest of all the hardcores stand tall in the face of the filthy casual for the glory of MMA!!

<{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>

NBA fans rarely talk about ratings. Same with soccer, formula 1, NASCAR, baseball fans etc. etc.

Who gives a shit about how much profit the billionaires at the top are making. What matters is the quality of the fights. Don't be like Brendan Schaub who cares only about "who is a draw". Enjoy the amazing fights that happen and remember that's why we watch.

I'm a football/soccer fan and everyone talks about how much money clubs have, where it comes from, and how they might spend it. Ditto the health of the leagues and the international game (ratings, tv deals, etc).

It's not just an MMA thing.

Maybe they get a cut from that PPV money. Who knows?

People on the spectrum tend to have a compulsive need to quantify the things they enjoy.

In my experience people who care so much about the numbers dont know jack shit about fighting. They use all their time as a fan studying everything else but the actual sport/techniques.
«Fighting is about fighting» - robin black

No idea. The numbers are never any good, just degrees of bad.

It's a selfish thing.

They think that pretending to be concerned about ratings means that they're showing how much they care about the longevity of the sport. But really, they only care about the longevity of their potential entertainment.

Fantasy football mentality.

They like to pretend they are promoters, and make sense of the sport from a non-sporting point of view.

In other words, they don't care for the sport, and use this nonsense as excuse for the terrible decisions made by the promoters. They feel "smart" that way.

conor loses fights so they have to fall back on how many idiots he can drag in to see the twink show

Back