UFC 219 will introduce limited tests for glove sensors

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
http://mmajunkie.com/2017/12/ufc-219-artificial-intelligence-glove-sensors-approved-by-nsac

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today approved a test run for a new UFC-approved product that uses analytics and artificial intelligence to tell the story of a fight.

At UFC 219, select fighters will be equipped with glove sensors that measure everything from punch strength to stress. The data from those sensors will then be interpreted in real time using analytics and artificial intelligence.

The UFC’s hope is to give fight fans a better understanding of what’s really happening inside the octagon with a new set of stats that can be shown during broadcasts. But first the promotion needs to make sure the data is accurate – and useful.

As a data guy, I'm thrilled. I've been saying this for years, that they should measure all this. Glad they are for now.

what if the russians hack the data?

I hope MMA judging is all computerized in three years time.

And yes, we're teaching machines our exact physical strengths and weaknesses.

They should also have the fighter wear them during masturbation sessions.

I bet a lot of sherdoggers would be thrilled.

It would be awesome to have statistics, but I don't see them automating judging anytime soon.

would it be better to hit two half force punches or 1 full power punch? How does the software know whether you hit your opponent or the canvas? It would also need to know WHERE someone is hit, not just the force / speed of the punch.

It's cool just to see how many of the punches were bombs.

It's not going to help with those shitty stats of punches thrown and punches landed.

Can they implant a sensor in Overeem’s chin?

If not computerized, at least get rid of the 10 point must system and just judge the fight as a whole. Like what Pride did.

So they will put sensors in the gloves but the won't put a scale right outside the octagon, fight night weights are more valuable data in my opinion and obviously cheaper.

i just dont understand how it's gonna work, like won't it count as " strikes " for the sensors if a fighter is touching his own glove?

like can you just slap your glove over and over and rack up " strikes " ? lol

Well, as a huge WMMA fan, I can't wait for these numbers.

interesting. but i'd rather have gloves that made eye pokes more difficult.

So they will put sensors in the gloves but the won't put a scale right outside the octagon, fight night weights are more valuable data in my opinion and obviously cheaper.
Itd be cool to see their weights but I don't think UFC wants to open up that can of worms

Never happen if unions are involved.

I mean, what is the point of having umpires in Baseball these days?

Back