Post-fight speech admits accidental k.o.

mmarcelo

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
This might help some understand the nuances of chances / guessing / estimates / inaccuracies involved in the split second decisions made by BOTH fighters during an exchange (not only this happens in the attacker's movement but also in the defender's - so you could have aimed wrongly but still hit the target due to your opponent unexpectedly moving to that spot.)

Checkout what Moraes' said in his post fight speech after brutal knee k.o. over Sterling:

at 1:17

And Better still at 1:10 mark here:

I'm not surprised !

Reminder: Cigano - known for his boxing - when commentating calls wild punch exchanges "lottery". Obviously it's a hyperbole but the point is that you can't see everything coming and there's not enough time to think - besides your own level of skill and inaccuracy at power and speed, so you have to make decisions uncertain of the outcome and based on heuristics - a very interesting and useful concept. You might want to google "heuristics" for more.

Last edited:
Unintentional but not really accidental

If you catch a level changing opponent to the body it hurts a lot more as well

ps: Of course ppl will be afraid this could be used to discredit wins but that's not the point, the point is actually understanding what a fight is and what's involved further than a shallow analysys as if the winner had everything under his control.

465B2EF4-C501-430C-BB9A-C4E7BEC0883A.gif
Accept your boy got KTFO and stop making threads trying to discredit Moraes win. Pathetic...
giphy (3).gif

Last edited:
Unintentional but not really accidental

If you catch a level changing opponent to the body it hurts a lot more as well

One of the dictionary definitions of accidental is unintentional. The K.O. as it was was literally "he faced my knee". A body kick would have been intentional although still it would've been a lot more complex than thinking simply because you aimed for the body and hit it everything was under your control.

ps: Of course ppl will be afraid this could be used to discredit wins but that's not the point, the point is actually understanding what a fight is and what's involved further than a shallow analysys as if the winner had everything under his control.
Remember how Anderson Silva got beat up for 4,5 rounds by Chael Sonnen on purpose just so he could impress his master Big Nog with a 5th round submission?

Or how Uriah Hall's KO of Mousasi in their first fight was totally planned and had no elements of luck to it whatsoever?

hall.gif

The average person is a dummy, and to dummies, everything is binary.

So what you are saying is he threw a strike that was intended to connect ?
That strike has then hit his opponent finishing him ?
That sounds like a pretty good strike to me whether it hits his chin, liver or leg.

Just as a heads up some people no longer throw strikes aimed at the chin directly in stand up.
I know mma fighters, with ko wins, who throw all punches to the chest and get the knockout from the opponent slipping into the punch.
This can also happen with headkicks aimed at the shoulders.

So what you are saying is he threw a strike that was intended to connect ?
That strike has then hit his opponent finishing him ?
That sounds like a pretty good strike to me whether it hits his chin, liver or leg.

You miss the point because you judge things based on their outcome and not on their own merits. A strike that didn't land could still have been a "good" choice based on the knowledge and estimates that the fighter had at that split second.

Just as a heads up some people no longer throw strikes aimed at the chin directly in stand up.
I know mma fighters, with ko wins, who throw all punches to the chest and get the knockout from the opponent slipping into the punch.
This can also happen with headkicks aimed at the shoulders.

Yes, this is an intelligent decision based on the recognition that you don't know whether your opponent will dodge or not so you aim where your chances of finding him are higher. Precisely my point. Sometimes I mention Anderson speaking in a seminar that you have more chances of hitting the target if you aim a bit below in the chest.

The average person is a dummy, and to dummies, everything is binary.

Yeah.. Ppl have a hard time understanding the nuances and also I think they want absolute certainty based on outcomes and it would bother them too much to accept that there should be some room for doubts.
Btw I always thought Mousasi was the favorite in the rematch.

This might help some understand the nuances of chances / guessing / estimates / inaccuracies involved in the split second decisions made by BOTH fighters during an exchange (not only this happens in the attacker's movement but also in the defender's - so you could have aimed wrongly but still hit the target due to your opponent unexpectedly moving to that spot.)

Checkout what Moraes' said in his post fight speech after brutal knee k.o. over Sterling:

I'm not surprised !

Reminder: Cigano - known for his boxing - when commentating calls wild punch exchanges "lottery". Obviously it's a hyperbole but the point is that you can't see everything coming and there's not enough time to think - besides your own level of skill and inaccuracy at power and speed, so you have to make decisions uncertain of the outcome and based on heuristics - a very interesting and useful concept. You might want to google "heuristics" for more.

And?

I'm not surprised !

Sometimes in boxing I’ll throw short hooks with my elbows pointed out and sometimes my elbow catches them.

Not my intention but I’m well aware that my opponent can enter the space in which my elbows are flying.

Same thing when i’m playin basketball if I’m posting someone up.

It’s an enforcer type move. Some may call it dirty but I don’t think so.

Point being, Moraes knows that kick can land with the knee. It was no accident and it sure as fuck wasn’t surprising to him that it landed the way it did just like the way I throw my hooks.

This is MMA.

Shit happens.

Are we really going to harp on this.

I'm not surprised !

giphy.gif

those ones where they go for a takedown is the nastiest ones, with that said it looked like he was going for the kick and he went for a shot just like When James Vick did it to Daron Cruickshank on The Ultimate fighter

He's just being an honest guy..

too honest probably. If I was his manager I would be like wtf?? Call someone out or act proud of what you've done.

I can't even remember who were talking about. And that's why he will never be a big name

Sterling's head was closer to Marlon's knee instead of his shin.

Back