If cormier had stayed at HW, would he be champ and/or GOAT HW?

djason1988

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
A couple posts on here got me thinking. Cormier went on an incredible run at HW, and was being touted as "Black Fedor". I'm thinking that dropping to lhw was one of the worst career moves here could have made. I don't think ANY of the current crop of HW have more than a punchers chance to beat cormier. I believe that had he stayed at HW, he'd probably be champ and considered GOAT HW if not the overall GOAT. Obviously, he would have had his hands full with Ubereem and Werdum, but I like his chances against both. Thoughts?

The Cormier from Strikeforce GP would definitely be a contender. He was a monster. Might not beat Stipe or Ngannou. But would be a tough out for most.

Personally doubt it. I think JDS (from 4 years ago when he went down at least), Werdum and Stipe would all beat him more often than losing to him. Reem would have had a decent chance and now Ngannou as well. And if he wasn't willing to fight his buddy, he made the right decision. Although Cain is a non-factor these days.

If he could survive the stand-up, DC would definitely be a contender. His TD/Control/GNP was Cain'esq but better imo.

He lay and prayed Anderson (who hurt him with some body shots) is this a serious question? People like Overeem would fold him like a lawn chair. Werdum would be a nightmare for him. He would be top 10 for sure but I don't see him beating any of the top 5. Maybe Ngannou if he can take him down since we don't know what he's like on the ground. The rest are too well rounded.

One of the biggest myths is that Cormier went on some incredible run at HW. It was decent but not like he beat the best HW's at the time. Barnett and Bigfoot were very good wins, he looked meh against a sloppy Mir though.

He lay and prayed Anderson (who hurt him with some body shots) is this a serious question? People like Overeem would fold him like a lawn chair. Werdum would be a nightmare for him. He would be top 10 for sure but I don't see him beating any of the top 5. Maybe Ngannou if he can take him down since we don't know what he's like on the ground. The rest are too well rounded.

One of the biggest myths is that Cormier went on some incredible run at HW. It was decent but not like he beat the best HW's at the time. Barnett and Bigfoot were very good wins, he looked meh against a sloppy Mir though.

Where does the logic of him laying and praying Anderson Silva on a few days notice have anything to do with how a fight with Overeem would have went down? The real MMA math litmus test would have been Bigfoot Silva who Cormier destroyed in under 4 mins. And who did Bigfoot KO you ask? Your buddy Overeem.

You are out of your mind if you think Reem would had been a lock again DC.

3.gif
RealisticDetailedCougar.gif

Where does the logic of him laying and praying Anderson Silva on a few days notice have anything to do with how a fight with Overeem would have went down? The real MMA math litmus test would have been Bigfoot Silva who Cormier destroyed in under 4 mins. And who did Bigfoot KO you ask? You're buddy Overeem.

3.gif
Reem is a lock against no one, because his chin sucks. But he was kicking Bigfoot's ass until he got (typically) cocky and (typically) blown away real fast as a result. MMAth is retarded regardless. He'd be a tough fight for Cormier because he was strong enough to avoid getting taken down and he has the hands/knees to hurt Cormier badly. That fight is 50/50 imo.

I have zero doubt Cormier would have been and still would be champ had he stayed at HW. Dude mauled quality heavies. Threw them around like paperweights. Cormier without a weightcut is the best HW ever imo. He's got the chin to avoid any real problems from Stipe or Francis. Someone would eventually beat him but he would reign for a long time. All speculative but that's what I think.

Reem is a lock against no one, because his chin sucks. But he was kicking Bigfoot's ass until he got (typically) cocky and (typically) blown away real fast as a result. MMAth is retarded regardless. He'd be a tough fight for Cormier because he was strong enough to avoid getting taken down and he has the hands/knees to hurt Cormier badly. That fight is 50/50 imo.

MMAth is retarded but Supertuna using DCs performance against Anderson Silva on a few days notice as some sort of measuring stick is 100 times more retarded than using a common opponent that both DC and Reem had which was Bigfoot.

Im not saying DC is a lock in a hypothetical fight with Reem but im calling out how stupid it is to say Reem would be a lock over DC. Thats retarded for a guy with a shit chin and cardio issues.

DC would have a chance against Overeem because like the other guy said, he's never a lock, but Overeem would be a huge favorite. I brought up Silva because nobody in the HW top 5 would have to resort to LnP against him and the fact that Silva hurt Cormier a couple times with body shots, something he's shown to be susceptible before. Something Overeem is very good at.

Bigfoot Silva is a scrub. He won like 3 fights since the DC fight. And yeah one of them was Overeem, someone already covered what happened there. DC could beat Reem but I'd give him like 20% chance.

I don't see any way that DC beats Werdum or Stipe

MMAth is retarded but Supertuna using DCs performance against Anderson Silva on a few days notice as some sort of measuring stick is 100 times more retarded than using a common opponent that both DC and Reem had which was Bigfoot.

Im not saying DC is a lock in a hypothetical fight with Reem but im calling out how stupid it is to say Reem would be a lock over DC. Thats retarded for a guy with a shit chin and cardio issues.
Yes pointing to the Anderson fight is stupid. For me, it was his fights with Mir and Nelson that told me he made the right decision to go to LHW. He looked great against a mid-tier Bigfoot and a well past prime Barnett. Then he looked meh against Dion Staring (whothefookisthatguy.gif) in his final SF fight, despite getting the TKO. By the time he got to the UFC, it seemed apparent to me that his size disadvantage was going to catch up to him. He controlled Mir (against the cage) and Nelson (by not being an out of shape blimp breathing heavy 3 minutes in), but all I could think watching them was 'the first HW he can't do this to is going to sleep him, he's too small.' Maybe I'm wrong, but I maintain he's in the right division now.

Where does the logic of him laying and praying Anderson Silva on a few days notice have anything to do with how a fight with Overeem would have went down? The real MMA math litmus test would have been Bigfoot Silva who Cormier destroyed in under 4 mins. And who did Bigfoot KO you ask? Your buddy Overeem.

3.gif

Not a lock of course, I could definitely see him landing. That said I would favour Reem as I think he has the tools to target Cormiers weakness to knees and kicks to the body.

That would I think he a pretty universal theme for Cormier at HW long time, look at the Mir fight for example and imagine he doesn't have an easy out in the clinch.

Last edited:
If Cormier stayed at HW, MMA history would have been altered:

1. Matchups would be different and Travis Browne would have emerged as #1
2. Browne would have gotten together with Meisha Tate instead of Ronda; Browne would have KO’d Brian Caraway backstage
3. Cormier would have gotten caught by both JDS and Mark Hunt, and KO’d
4. Cormier would have cried
5. Jon Jones would have fought clean knowing that he didn’t have to face Cormier, and Jones would still be LHW champion

Yes pointing to the Anderson fight is stupid. For me, it was his fights with Mir and Nelson that told me he made the right decision to go to LHW. He looked great against a mid-tier Bigfoot and a well past prime Barnett. Then he looked meh against Dion Staring (whothefookisthatguy.gif) in his final SF fight, despite getting the TKO. By the time he got to the UFC, it seemed apparent to me that his size disadvantage was going to catch up to him. He controlled Mir (against the cage) and Nelson (by not being an out of shape blimp breathing heavy 3 minutes in), but all I could think watching them was 'the first HW he can't do this to is going to sleep him, he's too small.' Maybe I'm wrong, but I maintain he's in the right division now.

Indeed, I think the big issue compared to guys like Fedor, Nog and Crocop is that Cormier was small but not very quick.

Bigfoot I think was one of the best matchups for him as Silva whilst a far better fighter in his TRT years was still relatively slow.

He didn't look spectacular in multiple fights but at the same time I don't even recall Cormier dropping a single round at HW so I can't give him too much shit for some boring fights. Nelson was a decent test at HW at the time. He lost a unanimous decision to Stipe in the fight previously to his DC fight which he took on 3 weeks notice. DC was Mir's first fight after his Championship fight. Tough to say how far he would have went but im confident he would have been a top 5 guy and have gotten a title shot at some point.

Back