Will Michael Bisping's Middleweight Legacy Be Diminished If...

ultramanhyata

Reclimbing Like Mountain
@Steel
Reaction score
... he loses to two bloated welterweights in a row?

(And, for the sake of argument, let's assume, like GSP, Kelvin finishes the Count.)

Just how bad does this look for a guy who began his career at light heavyweight??

Based on the small stature of the opponent I think this was the wrong fight for Bisping to take coming off the title loss to little Georges. I see it as all risk and no reward for Big Mike.

Please weigh in, dear readers.

Nah.

That first 'bloated welterweight' just so happens to be the greatest MMA fighter of all time.

And the second one is a legit dangerous guy, being fought only 3 WEEKS after having a war with the other one. lol

(And, for the sake of argument, let's assume, like GSP, Kelvin finishes the Count.)

Just how bad does this look for a guy who began his career at light heavyweight??

Based on the small stature of the opponent I think this was the wrong fight for Bisping to take coming off the title loss to little Georges. I see it as all risk and no reward for Big Mike.

Nah the Rochkold knockout is so mighty and glorious it cancels out anything after, even a bob sapp style run.

Points off, GSP is the undisputed GOAT, not a bloated ww.

Extra point of for the gay pun

na, not really. he's been around long enough and achieved enough success for his legacy to be secure.

he's also never pissed hot which helps a legacy remain untarnished

His legacy isn't much to diminish. Not a knock on him, but he basically is known as an overachiever

No, but it sounds like you want it to be.

SAD

I was hoping more Bisping fans would react to the OP by declaring, "There's no #@%$&#& way Mike loses to Gastelum!"

Where is your faith, Bispingites??

No, but it sounds like you want it to be.

SAD

I just think it goes back to a basic lesson learned in childhood and stuck in most men's psyches - if you get beat up by a kid who is smaller than you the humiliation of the loss is compounded.

No one.... believed he was the real champ anyway

Hendo retired that belt and Rob has the new one

I was hoping more Bisping fans would react to the OP by declaring, "There's no #@%$&#& way Mike loses to Gastelum!"

Where is your faith, Bispingites??
You can be a fan of bisping and be objective. I think he should weather the storm and see what happens. Both have good cardio. I think it's possible bisping out points him.

His legacy as a champion is shit

His legacy as a guy who fights anyone despite his losses (and how violent some of them were) is solidified by him taking this fight in the first place. He has nothing to lose here.

No one has ever considered Bisping to be this unbeatable MW threat. We've seen him lose BAD. What's been impressive is all the damage he's taken over all these years still hasn't prevented him from bouncing back and looking pretty good. That's his legacy.

I just think it goes back to a basic lesson learned in childhood and stuck in most men's psyches - if you get beat up by a kid who is smaller than you the humiliation of the loss is compounded.
You mean the best fighter in the world. I see the comparison but I don't think it applies here

Kelvin beat the brakes off of Tim Kennedy and destroyed vitor belfort. He almost ko’d weidman too.chris was not looking confident on the feet at all against the smaller ‘ bloated welterweight ‘ as he described him.

Kelvin is legit unless mike beats him when he will instantly become a bum.

Gsp is gsp so cut the bull shit

Nah. People here give him almost zero credit anyway.. I don't see that changing win or lose.

Gsp is gsp so cut the bull shit

The fact of the matter was, prior to the fight, virtually every middleweight, and the majority of analysts, said Bisping was just too big for GSP and would beat him fairly easily. Many thought Bisping would maul him.

He's been an underdog to both of those WW's, so that naturally implies that no, he was expected to lose to them. It certainly doesn't look good, but it only diminishes his legacy if you're overrating it in the first place. Bisping is not one of the GOATs at MW. He's a career gatekeeper that won the lottery in one fight.

The fact of the matter was, prior to the fight, virtually every middleweight, and the majority of analysts, said Bisping was just too big for GSP and would beat him fairly easily. Many thought Bisping would maul him.
Talking points and hype have proven time and time again to be worthless. I wouldn't put stock into any of them.

Bisping doesn't really have a legacy. He has a career. It's respectable. But if he loses, big deal. He's lost before. He's also toward the end of his career. He's still had a respectable career. But he doesn't really have a legacy. Gotta be a legend to have a legacy.

A lot of people did say that. I thought GSP would possibly squeak out a decision. And also thought that Mike could possibly get a tko in the third. For me it was 50/50. In hindsight GSP is just GSP. Now let's see him vs RW. Rooting for GSP. But Whittaker is a tougher fight.

What exactly is Bisping’s legacy?

Back