Ray Borg Only Lands 1.16 Significant Strikes Per Minute

Pitier of Fools

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I was curious which fighter had the least significant strikes per minute, but sites like FightMetric only had lists of the most. I found a source that had all the UFC fighters' stats.

https://www.foxsports.com/ufc/stats...2&sort=1&opp=0&sortOrder=0&page=7&qualified=1

Turns out that Ray Borg is second to last, with the only fighter with fewer significant strikes per minute being Jussier "Formiga" Da Silva, who I never heard of. What I found interesting was that despite Borg's astoundingly low level of activity, the guy just fought for a title....

Whats Tyquils last fight? Scored some low record WRT strikes.

thats anthony pathetics. too low

that is a little bizarre. that would be 16 a fight if it went the distance in a non main event.

i thought if these guys were bigger they would be the bet fighters in the world

I mean, he's primarily a grappler who thrives on taking opponents down, passing their guard, and then taking their back. This isn't surprising if you've ever seen him fight, but actually ascertaining the way that he fights and his value as a fighter really wasn't the point of this thread, was it?

I was curious which fighter had the least significant strikes per minute, but sites like FightMetric only had lists of the most. I found a source that had all the UFC fighters' stats.

https://www.foxsports.com/ufc/stats...2&sort=1&opp=0&sortOrder=0&page=7&qualified=1

Turns out that Ray Borg is second to last, with the only fighter with fewer significant strikes per minute being Jussier "Formiga" Da Silva, who I never heard of. What I found interesting was that despite Borg's astoundingly low level of activity, the guy just fought for a title....

Hmmmm. It makes sense now that you mention it. All I ever see Borg go for is takedowns and control on the ground.

Note, at the top of this same metric:

1) Leslie Smith
2) Joanna Jed
3) Jessica Andrade

What does this prove? In what way does it prove he's a bad fighter?

So MM haters are reduced to saying "fighter X doesn't lands the 2nd least strikes per minute, therefore he's not a good fighter."

Do you know how silly this is?

What does this prove? In what way does it prove he's a bad fighter?

So MM haters are reduced to saying "fighter X doesn't lands the 2nd least strikes per minute, therefore he's not a good fighter."

Do you know how silly this is?
Can't edit my post it should read:

So MM haters are reduced to saying "fighter X lands the 2nd least strikes per minute, therefore he's not a good fighter."

And Maia averages a staggering 1.83, guess that happens when you rely solely on takedowns and ground control.

Maybe it's because he's a grappler?
Do you even watch fights TS

Borg's method of winning lately has been like Clay Guida, Ryota Matsune and Jon Fitch at their least entertaining (that is, get takedown, hold guy down, and either land just enough pitter-patter strikes to or advance quickly to half-guard+ so the referee has a difficult time justifying a stand-up.) It makes sense he has a low sig strike percentage.

The guy everyone at flyweight gets a title-shot after beating.

That says something real good about Formiga's quality as a fighter I think. The fact that he fought the last two guys to beat him to extremely competitive decisions says a lot, too.
His last fight was also pretty entertaining, if anyone's interested. It only lasted 4 minutes, the way Formiga closed the distance and outstruck a guy with 6 inches on him in both height and reach was fun, and the way he took him down and controlled the back of a guy that much taller than him was really cool. Ulka's a very good grappler, too, and 10 of his 11 submission wins, including all of his UFC wins, are via rear-choke, so he knows a lot about back-control, so Formiga doing that's particularly impressive (especially since he did it in half as much time as a Mundials champion did a weight-class up.)

How many punches?

giphy.gif

Borg's average would have dropped significantly after DJ shut him down for 24 minutes.

Back