So, we need to talk...

Tylerl90

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
About MMA judging.

What would you change (if anything) about MMA's current judging system?

I think I'd rather them judge the overall fight rather than this 10-point-must system.

Yeah it sucks, but you need to offer something more specific than “judging the whole fight” as an alternative.

If the judges weren't mentally challenged half the time, it really wouldn't be that big of a problem.

I think the issue is the judges, not the judging criteria. I'm not sure if the judges actually understand the rules sometimes

MMA shouldn't have judging. If there's no finish it should be a draw.

Simple.

I read this thread in Jim's Dad's voice

CBEfkSsU8AAaR8o.png

It’s hard to fix judgings because of the subjectivity involved.

My beef is with refs who don’t have the balls to enforce the rules. Giving multiple warnings for the same offense is useless. It just tells the fighters that they can get away with it. Start deducting points if you want rules followed.

each minute of the fight should get a 10 point must score
would be more complicated to do, but more fair and accurate in the end

My beef is with refs who don’t have the balls to enforce the rules. Giving multiple warnings for the same offense is useless. It just tells the fighters that they can get away with it. Start deducting points if you want rules followed.
Yeah...I hear you man...fighters know they can get away with a few fence grabs...sucks for grappling-heavy fighters

this is a very good point.

behind the NBA, mma is the worst for "star treatment".

lebron gets a 5 step layup and palms the ball with every dribble, nothing is called.

similarly, jones eye pokes every fight, admits that he does it in interviews, and i dont recall him ever being penalized.

same with grabbing the cage--ive seen fighters get docked, but it is a rare occurrence.

i think the refs should tell teh fighters back stage that there is going to be a zero tolerance policy for every infraction, and then follow through.

I'm all in with changing the judging aspect of MMA, but i prefer UFC criteria over PRIDE's. It has to be by rounds or it will be much more subjective.

Jake Matthews winning that decision was adalaide byrd bad. Hometown judging needs to be held accountable

Judges need to stop the obsession with cage control/aggression. If one fighter is clearly outstriking the other then they are winning the fight despite them backing up the whole time.

Also having top position on the ground does NOT mean you are winning the fight if the person on bottom is doing more damage than you are.

ex. Ferguson x Lee, Shevchenko x Nunes 2, Bisping x GSP

These are my 2 biggest issues with judging in MMA.

Yeah it sucks, but you need to offer something more specific than “judging the whole fight” as an alternative.
  • Decision
    • If the match reaches its time limit then the outcome of the bout is determined by the three judges. The fight is scored in its entirety and not round-by-round. After the third round, each judge must decide a winner. Matches cannot end in a draw. A decision is made according to the following criteria in this order of priority:
  1. The effort made to finish the fight via KO or submission
  2. Damage given to the opponent
  3. Standing combinations and ground control
  4. Takedowns and takedown defense
  5. Aggressiveness
  6. Weight (in the case that the weight difference is 10 kg/22 lb or more)
If a fight was stopped on advice of the ring doctor after an accidental but illegal action, e.g. a clash of heads, and the contest is in its second or third round, the match was decided by the judges using the same criteria.

each minute of the fight should get a 10 point must score
would be more complicated to do, but more fair and accurate in the end
That's terrible.

That would lead to spamming takedowns and octagon control, because it's so easy to rack up points.

• Decision
    • If the match reaches its time limit then the outcome of the bout is determined by the three judges. The fight is scored in its entirety and not round-by-round. After the third round, each judge must decide a winner. Matches cannot end in a draw. A decision is made according to the following criteria in this order of priority:
  1. The effort made to finish the fight via KO or submission
  2. Damage given to the opponent
  3. Standing combinations and ground control
  4. Takedowns and takedown defense
  5. Aggressiveness
  6. Weight (in the case that the weight difference is 10 kg/22 lb or more)
If a fight was stopped on advice of the ring doctor after an accidental but illegal action, e.g. a clash of heads, and the contest is in its second or third round, the match was decided by the judges using the same criteria.
Why do rounds at all then? In grappling tournaments, a submission only rule set is preferred by many. Why not adopt the same for MMA?

We don't needs to talk about nuthin'.

All I gots to do is stay white and die.

MMA shouldn't have judging. If there's no finish it should be a draw.

Simple.
This would shake things up. Great idea.

I'm not in favour of having rounds at all, personally.

Here's my idea for the perfect MMA ruleset:

• 1x20 minute rounds
  • For regular fights, if no finish, the fight results in a draw.
  • If it's a tournament, the fights are scored using PRIDE criteria.
  • 4 weight divisions: <150, <170, <200, >200.
  • Weight cutting by dehydration strictly prohibited, so fighters don't out their health at risk making weight (ala ONE Championship).
  • Soccer kicks, stomps, elbows, headbutts are allowed.
  • Fights take place in a ring with huge apron (ala affliction), or an open space like a giant judo mat with out of bounds areas.
headbutts I'm still on the fence tho

Back