The reason why I think TJ always beats Cody is their mentality...

Chain Saw

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

In this interview TJ Dillashaw is talking about finishing Cody in the pocket. Even though he KO'd Cody, he acknowledged that he probably shouldn't have jumped in the pocket to do it. TJ recognizes his mistakes, even in victory. This means that whatever holes Cody may have exploited this time around, will be sealed next time around.

On the other hand, Cody can't seem to admit that there was anything wrong with his approach. He says he made a technical mistake, but he doesn't really acknowledge that he has to do something differently to beat him next time. He just keeps claiming that "he was the better fighter in there", "TJ felt slow", and insinuating that TJ got lucky. Basically he is saying that he will bank on him catching Dillashaw next time around like he did in the 1st, without looking to change anything about his approach. Of course, its certainly possible that it can happen, but the chances of it happening become slimmer and slimmer every time they fight. If it didn't happen in the 1st fight, its way less likely it will happen in the 2nd.

TJ studies his performances and his opponents, then adapts next time around to do even better. Cody just goes on autopilot.

I really agreed with Cruz in that the constant drama with TAM would lead to TJ taking a beating from Cody.

The reason TJ beat Cody is because he is much more well rounded than him.

Tbh, all Cody has to do is work on a few things and he can beat TJ. He was close to winning this fight. Next fight is still a pick'em, in my eyes.

Last edited:
I really agreed with Cruz in that the constant drama with TAM would lead to TJ taking a beating from Cody.

This is another reason why I say TJ is very adaptable. Even mentally.

He made the mistake of letting his emotions get the best of him in the Cruz fight. He learned from it, and didn't let it happen again.

Just like he made the mistake of jumping in the pocket with Cody when he is fresh. Even in victory, he seems to have learned from it, and won't let it happen again.

Next time it will be a cleaner victory.

The reason TJ beat Cody is because he is much more well rounded than him.

There are plenty of cases where a less well rounded fighter beats a more well rounded fighter. Its not quite that simple.

If Cody found a way to make TJ fight in the pocket, he could've definitely won.

He got dropped didn't he? Lol at "always"

Anderson Silva got beat up for almost 5 full rounds by Chael Sonnen.

The same thing didn't happen in the second fight, did it? It was a MUCH cleaner performance.

TJ and SIlva are adaptable. They learn from their mistakes and fix their holes.

We'll see how Cody adapts after this loss.

Why? First off, it's largely being exaggrated for promotion. Second, if anyone even cares about the issue, it seems to be TAM.

Cody got sloppy cause he got overconfident.

Before he got finished, he almost TKO'd TJ who was realistically saved by the bell.

If this fight tells us anything is that NOTHING is certain between these two and any one of them could win the fight on any given day.

Anderson Silva got beat up for almost 5 full rounds by Chael Sonnen.

When has chael really hurt people by beating them up? His ground and pound isn't some Brock Lesnar or prime Fedor shit.

I'd give TJ the advantage in the coaching dept. Nobody at TAM before or since (except Cody) was KOing opponents without Bam.

But really, if TJ and Cody fought 10 times it's not a stretch to think each guy would win 5.

TJ does have a tendency to learn and plan very well for his fights. He pounded Barao in the first fight, and came back to do it even harder in the second fight. He moved from split decision losing to Assuncoa to getting a clear victory. The fight against Lineker looked rehearsed, and he completely dominanated.

TJ won and fair play to him. He did what he was supposed to do and won. But truth be told, both men were going for broke and it was going to be whoever got in the first kill shot.

Worst thing that happened to Cody besides getting stopped, was dropping TJ as it made him over aggressive and put aside his caution

I'll still pick Cody over TJ.

When has chael really hurt people by beating them up? His ground and pound isn't some Brock Lesnar or prime Fedor shit.

First off, he hurt Anderson multiple times in the 1st fight...

Second off, what does that have to do with anything this discussion?

i think cody has better skills than tj, but tj always improves and gets better. so i guess thats the mentality part.

But i dont think it means tj will win always, cody is younger.

First off, he hurt Anderson multiple times in the 1st fight...

Second off, what does that have to do with anything this discussion?

You equated a situation where a fresh Cody MacKenzie was a couple or a few crucial strikes away from finishing dillashaw to chael's hump fest and odd standing strike. Anderson was never in the same trouble as TJ

TJ won and fair play to him. He did what he was supposed to do and won. But truth be told, both men were going for broke and it was going to be whoever got in the first kill shot.

Worst thing that happened to Cody besides getting stopped, was dropping TJ as it made him over aggressive and put aside his caution

I'll still pick Cody over TJ.

Not true.

TJ wasn't going for broke. He was very cautious until the last 10 seconds of the first round, then he tried to steal the round and got punished for it.

In the 2nd round he became very cautious again, and was keeping his distance and used his leg/body kicks to eventually set Cody up for the head kick.

Only after the headkick did TJ become aggressive again. He banked on the fact that he had Cody rocked that Cody was going to be slower and weaker than usual. It paid off.

You equated a situation where a fresh Cody MacKenzie was a couple or a few crucial strikes away from finishing dillashaw to chael's hump fest and odd standing strike. Anderson was never in the same trouble as TJ

I was using it to say that Anderson learned from his mistakes.

The first fight, he got beat up for 5 rounds. He couldn't keep it on the feet long enough to do anything significant.

In the 2nd fight, Chael wasn't able to take him down as easily, and he finished it in the 2nd round.

TJ will learn from his mistake too. He will not get reckless in the pocket with a fresh Cody again.

Cody's only real chance to win this fight is a KO in the pocket. If TJ takes that away from him, Cody has no other path to victory.

Back