Did Covington Break a Law in Brazil?

TrueFightFan

Fight Purist
Banned
Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech_in_Brazil#Hate_Speech

After going back and forth with a few Sherdoggers on Covington's "freedom of speech" rights, it dawned on me that we were applying US rules to what he said and I wondered what Brazil's laws are, in regards to freedom of speech. A simple Wikipedia (I know, "real genius") look up shows something interesting... Covington's rant could be considered "hate speech" or "defamation" by their laws. How ironic (and extremely detrimental to his health) would it be if they sought to pursue charges against him, possibly at Werdum's request, and had him extradited for a trial? Do they throw him in a cell with everyone else, while he waits? Does he get special "solitary" treatment for protection? Would he, literally, shit himself if this occurred? Who knows, if he is pursuing charges against Werdum for the skirmish maybe Werdum pushes this angle with Brazil.

Imagine, being locked in a cage with all of the "filthy animals" you just called out...

Lol@the US extraditing a citizen for possibly violating a vague hate speech clause.

Criminals don't get punished here in Brazil, if you ever want to commit a crime and get away with it, this is the place to come to.

Lol@the US extraditing a citizen for possibly violating a vague hate speech clause.
It sounds funny but if it garners enough attention and they see one of their own in trouble with this guy through Australian courts... who knows?

It sounds funny but if it garners enough attention and they see one of their own in trouble with this guy through Australian courts... who knows?
There's no way. As far as I know, it's completely unprecedented for an American national to be extradited for hate speech. Would probably cause an outcry.

Criminals don't get punished here in Brazil, if you ever want to commit a crime and get away with it, this is the place to come to.
They don't get punished here in Finland either.

an-inmate-lays-on-a-bed-in-his-cell-in-the-saramaki-prison-in-turku-picture-id670237854

Typical Finnish prison cell above. You also get daily internet access for a few hours with even a possibility of privacy, well atleast in most places. The food is of good quality (equal to that which is served in the Finnish public school system).

It costs, on average, 125€/day per inmate taken from the Finnish public funds.

Last edited:

After going back and forth with a few Sherdoggers on Covington's "freedom of speech" rights, it dawned on me that we were applying US rules to what he said and I wondered what Brazil's laws are, in regards to freedom of speech. A simple Wikipedia (I know, "real genius") look up shows something interesting... Covington's rant could be considered "hate speech" or "defamation" by their laws. How ironic (and extremely detrimental to his health) would it be if they sought to pursue charges against him, possibly at Werdum's request, and had him extradited for a trial? Do they throw him in a cell with everyone else, while he waits? Does he get special "solitary" treatment for protection? Would he, literally, shit himself if this occurred? Who knows, if he is pursuing charges against Werdum for the skirmish maybe Werdum pushes this angle with Brazil.

Imagine, being locked in a cage with all of the "filthy animals" you just called out...
how old are you? serious question

Difference is Werdoomerang isn't a snitch..

Old enough to know that stranger things have happened but it is only a "hypothetical" so don't get your panties in a wad.

it's hypothetical nonsense. The sort of thing you think up when you're high as fuck

it's hypothetical nonsense. The sort of thing you think up when you're high as fuck
Lol... Close! Prepping tomorrow's turkey and throwing back a few cold ones. Got another 4 hours so who knows what "deep" thought comes out next but seriously, if Werdum does get into serious trouble, it is not out of the realm of possibility for Brazil to take care of a fellow countryman, especially when he was defending said country's honor.

Lol... Close! Prepping tomorrow's turkey and throwing back a few cold ones. Got another 4 hours so who knows what "deep" thought comes out next but seriously, if Werdum does get into serious trouble, it is not out of the realm of possibility for Brazil to take care of a fellow countryman, especially when he was defending said country's honor.

I mean, if you consider it worthwhile to ponder the outcome of everything that is "within the realm of possibility" you'll end up wasting a shitload of time. Even if brazil decide to try to "take care" of werdum, how exactly would they get the US to extradite colby? The US would never extradite a citizen unless they committed a very, very serious crime. This would be true with any president in power, but I can only imagine it is even more true with trump there. So it's not really worth considering imo. Enjoy the beer and the dinner though

Nothing happened to chael or even that Olympic swimmer dude who faked a robbery. Doubt they'll do jack but I hope UFC schedules Colby's next fight in Brazil. That's must see tv

Fuck me runnin...

This place is getting seriously retarded, again. It’s fuckin BRUTAL.

Maybe, I need another vacation from this nonsense.

What happens in the favela stays in the favela, everyone knows that.

The US would not allow extradition of a US citizen for a speech violation in a foreign country.....

Lots of countries have rules they will and wont honor when it comes to extradition....

funny enough.....alot of western countries wont allow extradition to the US because our corrections system is looked at as archaic and brutal....

Wait a sec Brazil has a legal system?

She better back up that claim and act even more of b*tchy before the fight worse than before.

Back