Cris Cyborg: A win over Holly Holm counts as a win over Ronda Rousey

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
After a brief financial disagreement, a much-anticipated women’s Featherweight title fight was confirmed to go down at UFC 219 on Dec. 30, as Cristiane Justino will defend her strap against Holly Holm in Las Vegas, Nevada.

With a win over Holm, Justino — if she hasn’t already -- will secure her title as the best female mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter of all time. This, despite the fact that “Cyborg” never had the opportunity to face off against another former dominant champion in Ronda Rousey.

And that’s okay, says Justino, because once she defeats Holm, she’ll be getting a victory over “Rowdy,” as well.

“All the fights in my career are important and having a lot of fights is special to me. Fighting Gina Carano, my first fight at 145. I think each fight is a challenge for me and I think when I fight Holly and beat Holly, I am going to beat Ronda at the same time,” Justino said on a recent edition of The MMA Hour.

“That means a lot for me because everyone who follows my career knows I did a lot to make that fight happen and it didn’t happen. Now I have the opportunity to fight Holly and I feel very blessed about it.”

So why exactly does Justino feel that way? It’s simple: Beating the fighter who stopped Rousey gives her double the wins since she never had her shot against the former 135-pound champion.

“I think if I beat Holly I will beat Ronda the same day. I feel like that because Holly fought Ronda and when that fight happened, Dana said if Ronda beat Holly next fight would be Cyborg,” she added. “Then Holly stopped Ronda before that, she beat Ronda and it’s simple to think about it. It’s simple, she beat Ronda and I never had the opportunity to fight Ronda. So I think I am going to beat both the same night.”

https://www.mmamania.com/platform/a...er-holly-holm-counts-as-win-over-ronda-rousey

Agree or Nah?

Holly is a tougher fight than Honda for Cyborg

Finishing Holly Holm didn't magically make Tate 1-2 against Rousey, so no.

giphy.gif

Spin it how you want, as long as the fight goes on, I'm good.

double H FTW!

That's cool
Didn' know you get to absorb your oppnents wins if you beat them. Must be an mma thing...

Not even close!

Cyborg would end Ronda in less time than Amanda did... But she will need much more time to end Holly (which I hope it doesn't happen)

If she can just beat David "Hello Japan" Gardner ( http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/David-Gardner-3758 ), who beat Rich Clementi, then she'd be champ of all these Men's weight classes too.

She could just fight Clementi, but I think Mr "Hello Japan!" is a much more winnable fight for Cyborg.

Clementi > Anthony Johnson > Phil Davis > Alexander Gustafsson > Matt Hamill > Jon Jones > Glover Teixeira > Joaquim Ferreira > JDS > Stipe

Clementi > Anthony Johnson > Phil Davis > Alexander Gustafsson > Matt Hamill > Jon Jones > Cormier

Clementi > Alexander Sarnavskiy > Marcus Davis > Shonie Carter > Matt Serra > GSP

Clementi > Anthony Johnson > Phil Davis > Lyoto Machida > Dan Henderson > Palhares > Shields > Woodley

Clementi > Anthony Johnson > Phil Davis > Lyoto Machida > Dan Henderson > Palhares > Shields > Woodley > Lawler > Rory MacDonald > Nate Diaz > McGregor

Clementi > Anthony Johnson > Phil Davis > Lyoto Machida > Dan Henderson > Palhares > Shields > Woodley > Lawler > Rory MacDonald > Nate Diaz > McGregor > Holloway

Clementi > Krazy Horse > Yoshiro Maeda > Chase Beebe > Eddie Wineland > Brad Pickett > Demetrious Johnson > John Dodson > TJ Dillashaw

Clementi > Krazy Horse > Yoshiro Maeda > Chase Beebe > Eddie Wineland > Brad Pickett > Demetrious Johnson

I see what she's saying and people are free to believe what they want, even Cyborg.

Cyborg has 'wins' over all the women who said they would fight and then ran away. If you agreed to fight someone on the playground after school and then they skipped out and didn't show, that's a 'win' for you. People would treat it like you would've won that fight and the other kid knew it and bailed.

Back