Matt Hughes says there shouldn't be fights darn near every week

Agree with Matt Hughes?

• Total voters

Clippy

Good Times
@plutonium
Reaction score
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Ma...ra-with-Fights-on-Darn-Near-Every-Week-129371

Fighting every week is just too often and not like the Golden Days when you didn't fight more than once a week

matthughes.png

Good to see Matt Hughes is doing better and on road to recovery.

Thanks Matt but I'm ok with it

"There not as special" -Hughes

and he is right

I've always believed there are too many, doesn't feel as special these days.

Hughes one of my favourites

And knows the crack . Watered down and injury prone too much activity

He's right, don't get me wrong, I still love it and watch every event, but it's diluted now, there's nowhere near as much anticipation for an event these days.

Hughes if True.

He's talking about big shows not smokers.
UFC not Extreme Challenge.

the anticipation is not there...the appeal and novelty wears off if it's constantly in your face.
it used to be much more special to count down the days to a huge ppv

Last edited:
I know I barely watch the UFC now. It feels like boxing now where only the main event is a big draw (if that). Where as before I could order a PPV and easily 3/4s of the card legitimately interested me vs maybe the top two fights.

I understand his point but don't know if I agree.

It takes a shift of mindset from the fans.

I used to be super excited for every card because it was often months between them.

Now there are cards every week or two, so obviously I'm not as excited for every card.

But there is still an above-average card every few months with some fights that get me excited.

So instead of being excited every few months and nothing happening in between, I'm excited every few months and occasionally watch some mid-level mma, or a fight here and there that is a bit intriguing, or if I'm bored on a saturday night and want to drink a couple of beer there is a 50/50 chance there is a card that I can throw on and catch a few fights in the background.

I think I'm happy with the way things are now although, like I said, I understand where he is coming from.

Well then they need to reduce the roster.

it's not that there are too many fights. it's that there are too many fights where people don't care about the fighters. the ufc needs to do a better job at marketing their fighters. too many no-names fill the cards.

I mostly disagree, but with a caveat. I think one of the issues that plagues PPVs is that they often headline smaller cards with a PPV worthy fight or fighter. Which takes them off the table when filling bigger cards.

I think they should leave bigger names off fight nights and mostly showcase up and coming talent, kind of like the old SF challenger series.

Unless of course this takes money making opportunities from name fighters.

Back