Prepare to be ASSAULTED………….with knowledge!

Pitier of Fools

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Here's some more semi-obscure MMA knowledge for you guys.

First one: Matt Hughes and Jeremy Horn fixed a match at the Abu Dhabi Combat Club in 2000. In addition to the tournament prize money, ADCC was giving two $1500 prizes - for fastest submission and best throw. Hughes and Horn concocted a plan whereby Hughes would throw Horn and then choke him out. They would win the two prizes and split the cash. Here's how their short match went:

In one of the later fights that evening, Renzo Gracie guillotined someone in seconds, winning the fastest submission prize. Hughes did end up winning the best throw prize though, which he split with Horn, netting both of them an extra $750.

Source: Matt Hughes's autobiography Made in America, pages 119-120.

Next one: Remember Rich Franklin's iconic fight shorts? You know, the ugly pink and brown ones that looked like his grandma sewed sponsor patches on them?

20090119114915_DSC_6155_display_image.jpg

tapout-rich-franklin-ufc-115-pink-brown-thumb.jpg

Well, his second fight against Anderson Silva took place in Cincinnati, which happened to be his hometown. The fight took place in the U.S. Bank Arena, which is also known as Bengals stadium. To show his hometown pride, Franklin ditched his iconic shorts and went with Bengals colored (orange and black) shorts. (Fighters could do stuff like that before the idiotic Reebok deal).

giphy.gif

The fight did not go well for the hometown hero, and "Ace" ended up with his face meeting Silva's knees.

tumblr_m7jwmiF9Hy1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

And speaking of Rich Franklin, Cincinnati loves him so much that February 21, 2006 was named "Rich Franklin Day" in Cincinnati.

Source: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2015/10/24/rich-franklin-mma-no-retirement/74520014/

First one: Matt Hughes and Jeremy Horn fixed a match at the Abu Dhabi Combat Club in 2000. In addition to the tournament prize money, ADCC was giving two $1500 prizes - for fastest submission and best throw. Hughes and Horn concocted a plan whereby Hughes would throw Horn and then choke him out. They would win the two prizes and split the cash. Here's how their short match went:

In one of the later fights that evening, Renzo Gracie guillotined someone in seconds, winning the fastest submission prize. Hughes did end up winning the best throw prize though, which he split with Horn, netting both of them an extra $750.

Next one: Remember Rich Franklin's iconic fight shorts? You know, the ugly pink and brown ones that looked like his grandma sewed sponsor patches on them?

Well, his second fight against Anderson Silva took place in Cincinnati, which happened to be his hometown. The fight took place in the U.S. Bank Arena, which is also known as Bengals stadium. To show his hometown pride, Franklin ditched his iconic shorts and went with Bengals colored (orange and black) shorts. (Fighters could do stuff like that before the idiotic Reebok deal).

giphy.gif

The fight did not go well for the hometown hero, and "Ace" ended up with his face meeting Silva's knees.

And speaking of Rich Franklin, Cincinnati loves him so much that February 21, 2006 was named "Rich Franklin Day" in Cincinnati.

Source: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2015/10/24/rich-franklin-mma-no-retirement/74520014/

I see nothing wrong in those pants. Franklin by knee hidden under sponsor patch.

You and your thread rock, TS.

thought this would involve a boomerang somehow.

Why the fuck did he wear pink and
Brown anyway?

I went to Chapters once and read about half of Hughes's book. My daughter was in kindergarten for three hours a day back then near Chapters and I lived a half an hour away, so...
I don't remember reading that part. Interesting.
The next time I went back, the book was gone, so I never finished it.

I wanna ASSAULT you
Appreciate
Sooth
Support
Acertain
Understand
Love
Tantilize

giphy.gif

There is a look that Franklin gives Silva in that fight which is the worse thing I have seen in MMA. There was nothing left in Franklin and it was disbelief mixed with fear and self-doubt. When my kids were young, I showed that to them and told them to never enter a conflict if you knew the chance of that look was possible.

There is a look that Franklin gives Silva in that fight which is the worse thing I have seen in MMA. There was nothing left in Franklin and it was disbelief mixed with fear and self-doubt. When my kids were young, I showed that to them and told them to never enter a conflict if you knew the chance of that look was possible.
Would that be this one?
Rich.jpg

Great thread, TS!

When Vitor beat Tank Abbott, Tank immediately said to Big John McCarthy "that kid rocked my world." - from the No Holds Barred book

Great thread, TS!

When Vitor beat Tank Abbott, Tank immediately said to Big John McCarthy "that kid rocked my world." - from the No Holds Barred book
Interesting! I'm pretty sure that was the first time Tank had been KO'ed. He'd only been submitted or decisioned before that.

giphy.gif

I'm surprised people think there are no fixed UFC fights.

Back