Why do people think Nate would do well in boxing?

Snowfist

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Have you guys watched boxing before?

He moves awkwardly.
He is very stiff in the upper body and does not avoid damage very well.
He has very little KO power.
He has very slow hands.

+He has great cardio.
+He has good reach.
+He has good toughness.

To be honest I still can't believe he managed to be Andre Ward's sparring partner.

This isn't me bashing the guys mma career. He has done really well for himself with the tools at his disposal.

Define "do well"

Like, no one legitimately thinks he'd be good against top boxers.

Because he stood and traded hands with McGregor even though McGregor is not great at boxing.

He moves awkwardly.
He has very slow hands.

+He has great cardio.
+He has good reach.
+He has good toughness.

To be honest I still can't believe he managed to be Andre Ward's sparring partner.

This isn't me bashing the guys mma career. He has done really well for himself with the tools at his disposal.
I agree. MMA people say his boxing is great but an educated boxing fan know that Nate Diaz isn't a good boxer.
Nate is a useful sparring partner because he is busy with his hands, can take shots & doesn't get tired.

Cuz they wouldn't kick the shit outta his lead leg in boxing

He moves awkwardly.
He has very slow hands.

+He has great cardio.
+He has good reach.
+He has good toughness.

Maybe he’s sparrs different with boxers than the way he boxes in mma

If by "do well", you mean "holding his ground against low level boxers", then it's possible. I don't think much people believe than any MMA fighter would be boxing champion.

As you pointed out, Nate has interesting characteristics for a fighter: great cardio, great chin, high volume. But in MMA he's helped by the fact he doesn't have to worry much about takedowns, so he can let his hands go

Solid chin, decent hands, cardio for days and great frame for weight class. Not to mention the heart of a lion. All these things equal boxing compatibility.

Boxing is very corrupt. Certain promoter could have him 20-0 in two years against the "bum circuit" which all boxers do who have the rub

Against high level comp no chance

I agree. MMA people say his boxing is great but an educated boxing fan know that Nate Diaz isn't a good boxer.
Nate is a useful sparring partner because he is busy with his hands, can take shots & doesn't get tired.
<mma4><{natewhut}>

Basically because his buddy Andre Ward said he would be in an interview.

Exactly. He is overhyped. This is the only reason McGregor beat him. Because he is slow and awkward. I guarantee that if McGregor was pitted against a Micheal Johnson with super quick hands McGregor would be out cold in not time. I personally believe that if McGregor were to step in the octagon with Sage Northcutt tomorrow that Sage would win. This claim would be laughable to most but Sage has a size advantage and has the speed and explosiveness plus the athleticism and strength to outwork McGregor. Unfortunately i think McGregor is going to do his darndest to avoid facing the top guys at 155lbs and hope that the UFC give some crap matchup like Diaz 3 or something worse.

Moving Awkward- I feel is an actual benefit, bc it is wierd and unpredictable to a boxing purist.
NO KO power- Isn't most of modern boxing more about going the distance as opposed to power (not counting GGG)
I don't know much about striking tho, minimal first hand experience I could be wrong.

Exactly. He is overhyped. This is the only reason McGregor beat him. Because he is slow and awkward. I guarantee that if McGregor was pitted against a Micheal Johnson with super quick hands McGregor would be out cold in not time. I personally believe that if McGregor were to step in the octagon with Sage Northcutt tomorrow that Sage would win. This claim would be laughable to most but Sage has a size advantage and has the speed and explosiveness plus the athleticism and strength to outwork McGregor. Unfortunately i think McGregor is going to do his darndest to avoid facing the top guys at 155lbs and hope that the UFC give some crap matchup like Diaz 3 or something worse.

{<doc}

iMng6gQ.gif

Solid chin, decent hands, cardio for days and great frame for weight class. Not to mention the heart of a lion. All these things equal boxing compatibility.

Plus his awesome footwork and head movement

He moves awkwardly.
He has very slow hands.

+He has great cardio.
+He has good reach.
+He has good toughness.

Totally agree. His only positives are an iron chin and cardio. Hes pretty good on the ground too but that wont help in boxing. He would be a punching bag in boxing. as he was vs connie until he gassed.

It's above average for MMA standards, he knows how to use his reach well, has good output and isn't as bad defensively as people make out, he rolls with a lot of shots.

he wouldnt, he is not fast enough to use his style. Look what happened to Roy JOnes Jr once he slowed down, not suggesting Nate is on that level of speed as Jones just in a very ROUND about way Nate (hands down etc...) tends to attempt to pull off similar punches

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back