How Come A-Level Sports Allow IVs But USADA Doesn't?

Franc Mittelo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We all remember Michael Jordan being pumped full of fluids in the famous "flu game." Plus, I am watching the Patriots vs Raiders, and they mentioned 2 players going back to the locker room for dehydration. How do you think they will be treated? IV fluids. LOL

USADA is going too far. This campaign against having the best athletes in the UFC is just contradictory to science and logic.

The Fighters should be tested before camp, and after the fight, that's it. The test before camp should be done to have a baseline to compare with the results after the fight.

Whatever the fighter does to recover and train better should be allowed as long as his blood work matches the baseline USADA has on file.

This is how I would approach PEDs usage in MMA, if I was a billionaire who bought the UFC.

Because none of those sports have weight-classes.

It is an attempt to curb too much weight cutting

Plus, I am watching the Patriots vs Raiders, and they mentioned 2 players going back to the locker room for dehydration. How do you think they will be treated? IV fluids. LOL
Are they cutting weight to play football?

jazzercise.gif

To prevent excessive weight cuts and blood doping.

IVs being banned has nothing to do with weight cutting. It's because IVs can be used to mask doping. Other sports don't care because they want the best athlete possible out there competing within the rules, and banning IVs is just an unnecessary rule change.

That Bulls playoff game was 1997. Not sure if the NBA would allow IVs today.

Keep in mind the NBA refs are not focused on player safety like MMA refs are.

IVs being banned has nothing to do with weight cutting. It's because IVs can be used to mask doping. Other sports don't care because they want the best athlete possible out there competing within the rules, and banning IVs is just an unnecessary rule change.
It seems like a pretty good re-hydration method to me. Masking is also an issue, but I think its allowed to have more than one usable function.

It seems like a pretty good re-hydration method to me. Masking is also an issue, but I think its allowed to have more than one usable function.
It has more than one usable function, but only one of those functions is why it is banned.

Those sports athletes don’t forcibly dehydrate themselves.

well according to sherdog USADA doesn't test for cocaine, oh wait they do

It has more than one usable function, but only one of those functions is why it is banned.
UFC bans IV use for fighters cutting weight
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/7/...ions-cheating-weight-cut-rehydration-mma-news

Is it prohibited for athletes to use IV infusions for rehydration and recovery?
https://www.usada.org/is-it-prohibi...g-iv-infusions-for-re-hydration-and-recovery/
"Some reports suggest that administration of IV infusions, including dietary supplement and vitamin cocktails, are being provided to athletes for recuperation, recovery or lifestyle reasons. This medical practice is prohibited at all times without prior TUE approval."

Last edited:
Aside from just using IV to hydrate, I understand that some people use IV to remove fluids from their body before the weigh in & then put them back after the weigh in... lol... that can't be fair.

Because they don't do A-level drug testing.

UFC bans IV use for fighters cutting weight
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/7/...ions-cheating-weight-cut-rehydration-mma-news

Is it prohibited for athletes to use IV infusions for rehydration and recovery?
https://www.usada.org/is-it-prohibi...g-iv-infusions-for-re-hydration-and-recovery/
"Some reports suggest that administration of IV infusions, including dietary supplement and vitamin cocktails, are being provided to athletes for recuperation, recovery or lifestyle reasons. This medical practice is prohibited at all times without prior TUE approval."
Yeah, that's not the reason they're banned, that's just showcasing an effect of it being banned.

Testing in the NFL and NBA are generally a joke anyway. The rules are set in place in order for everyone to pass......and if you fail one of those tests then you're a real dumb dumb.

Testing in the NFL and NBA are generally a joke anyway. The rules are set in place in order for everyone to pass......and if you fail one of those tests then you're a real dumb dumb.

This.

Maybe fighters should tone down their training if they need PED's strictly for recovery. You have to be a complete moron to think these fighters just take ped's for recovery purposes and not to get stronger, faster and have more endurance.

Back