should fighters refuse to fight if their opponents miss weight?

allheart

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
If a fighter knew their opponent was on steroids I doubt they would agree to fight them. Do you think having a few extra pounds is as big an advantage as using illegal substances for recovery? I feel like fighters would be better off refusing to fight as a loss to an oversized fighter is still a loss.

If a fighter knew their opponent was on steroids I doubt they would agree to fight them. Do you think having a few extra pounds is as big an advantage as using illegal substances for recovery? I feel like fighters would be better off refusing to fight as a loss to an oversized fighter is still a loss.
They would still fight an opponent on steroids. LOL

They only use it as an excuse when they lose, and glorification when they win. Steroids are not going to make your opponent better than you if he isn't.

Werdum was 40 years old and he beat Tybura who is 10 years younger than him. Name me a steroid that can give you a 10 year youth advantage over your opponent? There isn't one.

In fighting, skill, experience and fight IQ, trump any minor physical advantage a steroid can give a fighter.

I think it needs to be taken on a case-by-case basis. If a guy misses weight because he's been ill, for instance, I think it'd be bad form to refuse to fight.

And not get paid.

Great idea

Not only not get paid, but risk the petty wrath of Dana et al. Nothing like refusing to fight and leaving a gap in the card to get on the UFC shit list.

No but they should definitely be able to negotiate a bigger cut of the money to the fighter still willing to fight.

kinda dumb to ask us what another person should do, but if i were to put myself in that situation, I would still fight as long as i got some of his money.

I've also thought about a situation were, instead of a monetary punishment for missing weight, it wouldn't count as a loss on your record if you were beaten by someone who misses weight.

I've also thought about a situation were, instead of a monetary punishment for missing weight, it wouldn't count as a loss on your record if you were beaten by someone who misses weight.

That's how Japanese promotions do it. If the overweight fighter wins the result is changed to a NC. Plus he forfeits around 70-80% of his purse in any case.

There already getting a percentage of there pay. Maybe I'll ask for a bigger percentage, but I'd still fight them.

Depends of some things, i think if it's not some absurd like idk a 135er coming 141 or something, yeah, they should fight.

That's how Japanese promotions do it. If the overweight fighter wins the result is changed to a NC. Plus he forfeits around 70-80% of his purse in any case.
goddamn. 70-80% is harsh.

i like the NC result tho.

They get 20% of the other fighters purse... so at most levels, I think the financial gain is worth the added risk. Most fighters are broke... & those who are doing okay, are making such big purses that the extra 20% adds up to an attractive enough amount that it's worth it to them as well.

Now from a strictly "fight only" point of view... I'd say it's a forfeit. Like if it was an amateur wrestling tournament or something with no money involved. As soon as you bring in the mighty dollar into the equation though, everything changes.

Does the ufc offer show money to the fighters that make weight if they refuse to fight though?
Doesn’t sound like it. Werdum had a fight cancelled and a reporter asked if Werdum would still get paid. Dana emphatically said no

They would still fight an opponent on steroids. LOL

They only use it as an excuse when they lose, and glorification when they win. Steroids are not going to make your opponent better than you if he isn't.

Werdum was 40 years old and he beat Tybura who is 10 years younger than him. Name me a steroid that can give you a 10 year youth advantage over your opponent? There isn't one.

In fighting, skill, experience and fight IQ, trump any minor physical advantage a steroid can give a fighter.
you obviously haven't seen TRT Vitor

what's the point of fighting if yhe bet you can do is a NC ? fair to the guy that made weight though

what's the point of fighting if yhe bet you can do is a NC ? fair to the guy that made weight though

If the fighter refused to fight under these circumstances he'd be in breach of contract since you agree to the stipulation when signing the bout agreement. You're right of course that those terms suck for the fighter that missed weight, but that's the whole point. Also an NC still looks better than a loss on your record.

The good thing about the penalties being so harsh is that fighters very rarely miss weight in Japan, the bad part of course is that you get horrible situations like during the last Pancrase event a few weeks back where a delirious fighter had to basically be carried to the weigh ins and held up by his teammates on the scale in order to make weight.

In addition to the 20% purse cut, the ones who miss weight should start the fight with one point deducted.

Back