Jake Matthews' dad

If Jake Matthews wants to ever improve, he needs to drop his dad as a coach.

Was not impressed with him last night, thought he lost that decision.

He's actually regressed since a year ago.

Looks like Belvin is the only Jake Mathews fan on Earth.

Or a generic twitter loser who tries to bash everyone for everything. Either way what a bitch

Agree 100%. I think it's no secret that Jackson's "talk to fighters like they're small children tying their shoes for the first time" approach seems to work. Calm the fighters down, give them useful advice.

What does screaming at your kid with unhelpful, negative reinforcement like "Are you tired?? You're throwing punches like you're tired!" in the corner gonna achieve? Not to mention, how helpful is screaming "Get up!" over and over when you're being held down? Good advice, Dad.

Parents are too emotionally invested to be cornering their kids. It's ridiculous that his Dad is still his coach. He's no doubt learned anything he could off the old man many moons ago, and he's now competing at the highest level of MMA. He needs to drop his old man off at the pub and go to a proper team in the US.

Anyone have a clip of Jake Matthews' dad as described in Eddie Gordon's tweet?

Whoever wrote that is a fucking moron.

Corner advice is for strategic advice, not technical advice.

Good advice: "Get up off your back"
or
"Conserve your energy"
or
"Work your guard"

Bad advice: "Okay, now put your left foot on his hip... "

The fight is not the time to be learning technique. The time for learning technique is long over. Telling your fighter they need to "get up" (as opposed to working for a sweep or submission) is sound strategic advice.

Whoever wrote that is a fucking moron.

or
"Conserve your energy"
or
"Work your guard"

The fight is not the time to be learning technique. The time for learning technique is long over. Telling your fighter they need to "get up" (as opposed to working for a sweep or submission) is sound strategic advice.

The person who wrote that is Serra-Longo fighter, Eddie Gordon, TUF winner & also appeared on the Redemption season.

The Chris' dad would refer to Eddie Gordon as.... "That's my boy's boy".

or
"Conserve your energy"

Tell that to DJ/Hume.

Anyone have a clip of Jake Matthews' dad as described in Eddie Gordon's tweet?

Leading up to this fight Jake was all. Oh im so fit strong im gonna ko him. No just no. Time to take it serious get a real training camp or you will be back to the regional circuit in no time.

If Jake Matthews wants to ever improve, he needs to drop his dad as a coach.

Was not impressed with him last night, thought he lost that decision.

He's actually regressed since a year ago.
I could not believe he won that fght. I was not watching closely but was shocked to see him being interviewed

Agree 100%. I think it's no secret that Jackson's "talk to fighters like they're small children tying their shoes for the first time" approach seems to work. Calm the fighters down, give them useful advice.

What does screaming at your kid with unhelpful, negative reinforcement like "Are you tired?? You're throwing punches like you're tired!" in the corner gonna achieve? Not to mention, how helpful is screaming "Get up!" over and over when you're being held down? Good advice, Dad.

Parents are too emotionally invested to be cornering their kids. It's ridiculous that his Dad is still his coach. He's no doubt learned anything he could off the old man many moons ago, and he's now competing at the highest level of MMA. He needs to drop his old man off at the pub and go to a proper team in the US.
Plenty of parents coach their kids successfully, some parent are just cunts

<mma4>

Only dad who should be coaching his boy is Wonderboys dad

LOL he really is a terrible in the corner. No techinal advice, just cheerleading. I remember another fight where he kept asking "Are you ok? Are you ok? putting doubt in his son's mind, sounded like a father and not a coach.

Jake Matthews would be so much better off going to a camp like ATT, Jackson/Wink, Kings MMA.

Just imagine the stress and the emotion watching your son in a cage fight.

I haven't watched this fight so i can't comment, but for a lot of fighters being coached by their dad seems to work best.
In your corner you want somebody you can trust and that knows you, mentally and athletically.
Some fighters need to be pumped up or encouraged instead of technical advice.

He was annoying but it will
Be fine I don't see Jake getting too far anyway

Sages dad is worse imo

As if some guy compared Weidman's dad being proud of his son to some father yelling get up without offering anything useful or helpful.

I could not believe he won that fght. I was not watching closely but was shocked to see him being interviewed

I was watching it closely and was shocked to see him being interviewed. Serbian Steel was fucking robbed.

The issue I have with Matthews is that physically there's so much upside to the kid, but his seeming refusal to switch camps means he'll always be outmatched. I get the kid probably doesn't want to leave Australia, and listen, that's fine. We've got some good camps, just take a look at what Ben10 and Robbie are achieving while being based in Australia. The problem is Jake's camp. I'm willing to bet he's monstering his training partners, because when he encounters adversity in the cage he seems to be all out of ideas.

Back