Two Welterweights are now the Middleweight Champions

Xtal

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I just thought about this today. GSP is one of the GOATs, but Whittaker, while drastically improved and one of my favorite fighters, was a middling Welterweight for a while and he just destroyed the two best that Middleweight had to offer for the title. Does this speak to the weakness of the Middleweight division for so many years that so many people liked to deny? Or is it just a case that these two were massive Welterweights who could've easily fought at MW?

Gsp was pretty average size ww

Anderson Silva also fought at Welterweight in Shooto.

Condit, koscheck, Fitch, shields, alves, hardy, Hughes, Hendricks were all at least the same size or bigger

Only guys smaller were bj and serra

Middleweight is better now then it was when Anderson ruled over it ...

Leites, lutter.. Par Coté ...

Give me a break

Or is it just a case that these two were massive Welterweights who could've easily fought at MW?
GSP is smaller for a WW, and could make LW. MW is far better now than it was 5 years ago.

If rda wins the welterweight title we're on to something.

It has nothing to do with the division. GSP and Whittaker are exceptional. And they aren't too small for the class for it to dramatically affect them.

Give me a break

Bisping just barley edged a decision with Leites to get top 5 ranking/title shot, Lutter was a reality show winner...

Silva's streak just looks stronger and stronger the more time passes

Well, I don't think Whittaker's really a welterweight anymore, I mean he's 7-0 at the weight class, and has fought more times at MW in the UFC than at WW.

Kind of like how we don't really think of Rumble Johnson as a welterweight anymore, even though he fought 10 times at WW (although he missed weight twice) in the UFC and only 8 times at LHW, and once at "MW" which was a mess.

HUGE question.

MW has changed. The MW's back then didn't do well head-to-head against WW's from then.

With the SF additions you now have a new, bigger & better list of MW's with the exception of recent champ Bisping.

GSP's about 10 pounds undersized for MW, while Whitaker's a good-sized MW now. Still, there are WW's like Thompson who would give a lot of MW's trouble, even if he's a bit lighter (tall WW with very low body fat).

WW's the big man cutoff point. Below it you have fighters suitable for LW (or even LW's who could fight at FW). The size difference becomes more visible.

At WW and MW you have close to 200 pounders, so the match-ups get more even.

to be fair, they have both fought at MW at least once in their career.....nowadays, champ sounds about right.....

GSPs tin belt hasnt been defended against a top contender in 2 years....

It's the timing, imo. Whitaker faced Romero and Jacare when they were in their late 30'ies. Same with GSP and Bisping. If either man faced Rockhold or even teh Chris, I think they'd be in for a very difficult night.

If rda wins the welterweight title we're on to something.
RDA is a former champ, and was big for LW. GSP was smaller for WW, and the #1 contender at MW is a former WW who never cracked the top 50.

Anyone know RDA's weight at WW?

Well, I don't think Whittaker's really a welterweight anymore, I mean he's 7-0 at the weight class, and has fought more times at MW in the UFC than at WW.

Kind of like how we don't really think of Rumble Johnson as a welterweight anymore, even though he fought 10 times at WW (although he missed weight twice) in the UFC and only 8 times at LHW, and once at "MW" which was a mess.
Rumble couldn't make WW so that's the biggest reason he is not a WW.

Give me a break

Wha!! :eek:

How dare you besmirch Patrick Coté?

You sir, must now relinquish your French Canadian card.

Back